Episode names - limited to 100 letters? [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Andemon

Episode names - limited to 100 letters? [DONE]

Post by Andemon »

I'm planning to replace the current episode names for City Hunter 2 (...they are rather inaccurate...) with the ones from the english (r1) DVD box release.

I tried changing the name of the episode 17 from:
Japanese tradition woman`s desire!? Surpassed the international mokkori time (Part 1)
...to:
The Applicant Wants to be a Traditional Japanese Woman? Mokkori Can Overdrive National Boundaries (Part 1)

The problem? I found out that there's letter limit of 100 for the episode names. That episode has 106 letters. -_-;

Any chance that the limit could be set bit higher? That's the longest of the City Hunter 2 episode names, so raising the limit to 110 would suffice.

Either that, or someone tell me how I could reduce that to 100 letters... :|
Elias

Post by Elias »

Part in parenthesis looks less important, so i would change it to:
The Applicant Wants to be a Traditional Japanese Woman? Mokkori Can Overdrive National Boundaries(1)
(exactly 100 characters)
And are you sure it's 100 characters limit? See title of 4th Genshinken episode:
The Sublimating Effect of the Dissimilation Brought on Through Makeup and Costume on Mental Obstacles
(101 characters)
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

I'm quite sure. Might be that the db already supports titles with more than 100 characters -- but the edit page definitely doesn't. It won't let me enter more than 100 characters into the 'Episode Title'-field.

I suppose I could use that shortened version. ...but shortening it makes me feel kinda like I'm entering inaccurate data into the db -- the DVD box titles do have those '(Part 1)' and '(Part 2)', after all... -_-;

I think I'll wait a bit and see if any of the mods care to comment about this. If not, I'll go ahead and use the shortened version.
egg

Post by egg »

It appears to be a limitation of the creq page... The form specifies this field is supposed to have a max length of 100 characters. If you try to creq the Genshiken episode, copy and paste the title, the last character gets cut off. Now since obviously Genshiken has more than 100 characters, there is another place (a mod only page?) that does not have this limitation and the database can handle more. I would say that this is an obsolete maximum that should be updated to the new maximum.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Odd enough, the regular input-field seems to take the exact 101-char title of that genshiken ep even with maxlength set to 100... I don't really have a clue why that works. ^^;

There's no special page that allows longer titles - Chii's !seteptitle doesn't seem to bother with the limit, though.
egg wrote:[...] the database can handle more. I would say that this is an obsolete maximum that should be updated to the new maximum.
definitely.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

all string fields in the database can be up to 2GB in size :P
the limitation for ep names is simply there bc anidb filenames will be generated using the full epname and some ppl will get problems if the filenames get too long.
so I would really recommend that you shorten that title somehow.

BYe!
EXP
egg

Post by egg »

exp wrote:the limitation for ep names is simply there bc anidb filenames will be generated using the full epname and some ppl will get problems if the filenames get too long.
As a side question, why are the filenames created using the romaji anime title and the English episode title??? Shouldn't the default be all romaji or all English???
kidan

Post by kidan »

Best thing would be a profile-option for customized links (which was requested some time ago). If this would be too heavy on the server some defaults to choose from would be an alternative, as those could be pregenerated.