Suggestion for improved voting on reviews [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

vivafruit

Post by vivafruit »

A minor issue that should probably be fixed sooner or later is that in the "latest reviews" section, the color coding for the review rating still goes by the old system, where negative numbers are red, numbers close to zero are black, and positive numbers are green.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

some of the suggestions are implemented now.
see: http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14111#14111

BYe!
EXP

edit: char limit for comments is now 50.000 chars and formating options are parsed.
Pantha

Post by Pantha »

vivafruit wrote:
However, I don't think it's fair for reviewers to have to watch their approval rating sink due to mindless fanboys who happen to disagree with them. As a result, I think a TRUSTED reviewer should be able to have some control over what NEW feedback affects his/her rating. Once a reviewer is deemed "good," he should be able to delete feedback that isn't properly justified.

As a matter of clarity, "properly justified" would mean that the comment has at least one relevant and intelligent suggestion on how to improve the review. If a trusted individual was found abusing this power, they would be issued a warning followed by a revoking of the status.
I completely agree with this. There has to be some way reviewers can control the feedback to prevent unfair ratings. For example, giving a three for my Elfen Lied review with the bullshit comment that there's "not ONE word about the story." Obviously something's wrong with this picture. (But he did change his rating to a six after I responded to him.) How about making the comments/votes public to other users (everyone)? That way, someone else can see the crud that has been written about another's review. You could vote on the comment/vote. "Was this comment/vote fair or no?" And if, say, three other reviewers think the comment/vote was unfair, that vote will be deleted. To prevent this option from being abused, the reviewer himself would have to be included in the vote.

And maybe only the comment or vote should be shown to other users, and not the user name. Only the unlucky reviewer would see who actually wrote it.

Just a suggestion....
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Yeah pantha. Well vivafruits, nwa, and I (and others?) have suggested and agreed with your sort of solution Pantha. It's just whether exp will agree or not ;)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Pantha wrote:You could vote on the comment/vote. "Was this comment/vote fair or no?"
me and someone else (Gambit?) were joking about reviewing the review of a review, what you suggested isn't that far off from it :lol:
in any case, I don't think we should take it any further from commenting on a review, would get too messy... however, I do agree that lame votes/comments shouln't be taken into account and making the comments public isn't perhaps the best of ideas as well, maybe ppl are too shy to comment then :P
I don't know how making the comments public would help anyway..
the best I can think of, is that let only the mods see the comments and when the reviewer thinks the vote/comment was unjustified/lame then he/she can request for removal of that comment..
sigh..
there's really no perfect system for this :roll:
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

nwa wrote:I don't know how making the comments public would help anyway..
Well, I guess making comments public would encourage those that are rating reviews to post constructive comments instead of posting "lame" comments or "nc (no comment)" ;) However, this maybe too elitist, but I'm not against it. If I comment on a review, I don't mind making my comment public because I'm comfortable with anything I say. Those that don't want their comments to be made public probably would feel uncomfortable because they know their comments weren't very good. This maybe an elitist solution, but definitely encourages people to take rating reviews seriously. If you're going to post a lame comment or bash a reviewer based upon difference of opinion, they would know that it can be seen publically, and more than likely looked down upon.
nwa wrote:the best I can think of, is that let only the mods see the comments and when the reviewer thinks the vote/comment was unjustified/lame then he/she can request for removal of that comment..
This solution could work as well, but it would require mods to be quite active and available. I'm up for the task, but it all depends on what exp-sama says :P
pav

Post by pav »

how about we add ratings and comments for comments ? its o joke of course, but it really shows what the problem really is...