what is an anime and what is not

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I misunderstood that you were saying that Australia wasn't a continent, anyway as you see people tend to like to simplify things... like calling America to USA (or the Oceania continent Australia, if you were from one of those islands you won't be pleased by that, ne?). :P

So to stop this useless discussion and get on track, is Australia anime? :lol:
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*bleg*

I am of course also in favour of a broader approach of the definition.

So I think Australia is part of Oceania which of course consists of all the islands in the central Pacific as well as New Zealand. And I don't care whether they have big eyes OR if Miyazaki ever poured coffee there.

:P :roll:
imokie

Post by imokie »

In an effort to get things back on topic....
;)
nwa wrote:an anime is something that was produced in or by(co-projects with another country allowed) Asia/Asians OR if the original dub was asian... if an entry fails in both those criterias, it won't be considered anime..
I don't think anime should be linked to an entire continent
I think it would be best to limit it to Japan/Korea/China.
Animation from e.g. India or the Asian part of Russia is no more anime than animation from the e.g. US, France or the European part of Russia (IMHO).
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Hmm.. that sounds reasonable. But what about Robotech? It's origin is from 3 different Japanese anime, they (US company) even had to buy the license from them (Japan).
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*yuck* Robotech...

That's a bastardization.

If I take three van Goghs and cut them to pieces, make a collage, is that still a van Gogh? I don't think so.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

If you're blind to the fact that there is a Robotech anime, you're a complete idiot.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*sigh*

Yeah, and Transformers is no Anime because it was made in the US.

What was your point again? That some folks fromt he US bought three series, cut them together, dubbed them and then released them as one new series makes this "ANIME"?

There is a Robotech series. I will never accept it beeing anime. Maybe if there were japanese dubs. The original series (Macross) might be anime, Robotech isn't.

If you fail to get my point, you are, of course, the same thing you indrectly called me.

I really don't get why you had to be that harsh. Fell out of bed this morning?
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

it's probably all the stress that has piled up regarding the deletion of those animes and all the hatemail he has gotten cause of it...

as I get it straight... Robotech was neither dubbed nor creatd by the Japanese.. there wasn't even any Japanese studios involved with it?
in that case... it's not anime and should be deleted :P
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Guess I'll agree with Skywalka here, at least to some extent. Many people consider Robotech nothing more than Macek's poor parody of originals, especially outside US. (And I'm one of them too, heh. Macek will burn! :twisted:)

And while on this topic, I wish to bring up again this issue. I firmly believe that there's no place in AniDB for fan-made parodies as separate title entries. (I don't like fan-made parody specials too, but I can live with them).
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Don't forget that most series get changed when aired in western countries. So we start to say they are not anime?! Well, for me they are anime... bastardized but still anime.

Anyway I think we're being quite some purists. We started not allowing AMV, then CGs, now western adaptations of well known Animes and finally we will start removing Japanese anime with strange designs?!
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Why? There's japanese originals and they are anime.

Robotech is not just dub or change. It's mix of three unrelated series redubed. No better that fan-parody, IMHO. And I, at least, want anime, not parodies.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

rowaasr13 wrote:Why? There's japanese originals and they are anime.
Topics like this bring out the extremists and show why a precise set of rules that determine, without exception or ambiguity, whether an animation is `anime' or not cannot please anyone. Under such situations, it is clearly better to be too inclusive rather than too exclusive.

I, for example, do not consider non-Japanese productions to be `anime', but am willing to accept Robotech because of its origins, no matter how badly mangled (Macross itself didn't come through the process too badly, anyway, compared to what I've heard about `Cardcaptors', for example). I wouldn't even mind AMVs, but not entered as episodes or specials, but rather some new type of entry for fan productions using material from an anime... however, I would not call for this feature in AniDB, as there's already a perfectly functional database of AMVs out there.

Ultimately, if there is a significant proportion of the users that believe that an entry should be in the db, then it probably should be. Game CG, which was, I think, where this thread started, does not have significant representation from the users, as far as I know, however.
permidion

Post by permidion »

Game CG, which was, I think, where this thread started, does not have significant representation from the users
the 13 "eps" of Xenosaga are indeed CG, but edited to tell a story, BUT, i understand now that such thing is part of what you call "fan made" anime. Even if i think they are the closest thing to a real anime, i can understand the difference and see why they, maybe, should not be in the DB. Though i feel some people are a bit stiff about their definition of anime.

Anyway the will of the majority is the will of all so, Xenosaga, rest in peace.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Skywalka wrote:*sigh*

Yeah, and Transformers is no Anime because it was made in the US.

What was your point again? That some folks fromt he US bought three series, cut them together, dubbed them and then released them as one new series makes this "ANIME"?

There is a Robotech series. I will never accept it beeing anime. Maybe if there were japanese dubs. The original series (Macross) might be anime, Robotech isn't.

If you fail to get my point, you are, of course, the same thing you indrectly called me.

I really don't get why you had to be that harsh. Fell out of bed this morning?
I'm being harsh because this topic is getting old and I want it resolved. Ever since permidion started this thread, nothing has been decided upon. Everyone is just throwing their opinions about, and it's getting rather repetitive and annoying.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Ultima wrote:I'm being harsh because this topic is getting old and I want it resolved. Ever since permidion started this thread, nothing has been decided upon. Everyone is just throwing their opinions about, and it's getting rather repetitive and annoying.
Honestly, you had to know that from the start. There is no possible general opinion about what is anime and what is not. In the end, it's for the admins to decide and as long as you folks know what you six think is anime and what is not, it's ok (or whatever many, I don't know how many admins there are at the moment) - because then you won't have to fight among yourselves whether you delete a new/old entry or not.

But that kind of reaction irritates me a bit. If you are that close to flipping out already I wonder how you will deal with this in the future. Even if you shut down this conversation, it won't be dead. I mean you can be as unforgiving as you wish when you reply to hatemail but I did not adress you directly and you treat me like I just offended you personally (which I did not intend to). Of course I am no angel when it comes to stuff like this but I am no admin, I can behave like a child now and then ;)

But let's forget about it. I don't really want Robotech kicked out of AniDB, I just wanted to express that there are certain exceptions to the rule, like there always will be. As long as there is a general consensus about a deletion or non-deletion of a series among the admins, I will always be fine with it.