reviews for Groups just like Animes have reviews [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Audity

reviews for Groups just like Animes have reviews [DENIED]

Post by Audity »

Oftentimes (read: almost every time) I find myself stuck between which group to choose. I look over everyone's comments numerous times but still have trouble. I have found people leave out important things that they truly like or dislike about a group yet rate according to their true feelings, their true feelings being of course everything within them that they haven't brought out in words, or in even just decently structured paragraphs or categories (like video, audio, translation, karaoke, honorifics, editor note inclusions, file size, subtitle timing/effects/blend, etc.) There's no way for me to prove this as there are oftentimes 50+ votes on something with only 3 comments, but I really feel that that is what's happening for the most part. Some people mark down heavily for mediocre [insert one of the above categories] when the next person might not care about that, and so on. It would be so freakin' sweet and is the main feature I was looking for when I was offered this site's never-before-seen-to-me URL after asking the question, "Where's some place I could find reviews of fansubs?"

As for how to do it, my idea would be just to have an extra section for reviews for Groups, and it will casually grow in business. No need to get rid of the already existing comments.

edit: oh and I guueeesss it would be good to have this separate for every single anime each group has done. I dunno if having an overall review would also be beneficial, but groups change over time.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the big question here is whether it would really prove to be usefull.
things like this can easily end up in a big pile of flaming.
and concidering the sheer amount of reviews which would need to be written to make this usefull, I wonder whether it would ever reach that state.
most likely a lot of the anime-group combinations you might be interested in would not have any review added, when you look for it.

BYe!
EXP
Audity

Post by Audity »

I shall create my own site for that one specific thing then. Maybe. Crap I'm too lazy. Maybe if it's as you say, then the individual anime/group review relation won't be a good idea, but what about the thing I said I didn't think would be good: the reviews for the groups at an overall glance? Granted groups change as a group over time, but one could just refer to the date the review was made, and since this would be implemented really late into the game, the existing long-term groups would already have a nice history to summarize/review. People could cite examples of animes they've done rather than have separate reviews for each anime they've done. I don't think there would be flaming; there would be no more than there is already due to the comments, and I don't see any flaming. I don't see why someone's flame should matter anyway. People fansub and release their stuff, and people express their opinions over them on an external website.

Maybe it's not like this. I haven't been around the community enough to know ties and such, if that means anything.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Groups have often too many members to consider a group-overall review. It depends on the staff. Group A can do episode/series A1 with the staffmembers 1, 2 and 7, while that same group does episode 2 of that same series with staffmembers 2, 3 and 5 (I know they don`t switch members for a same series that often, but it`s just an example). It will be quite hard to get a representative mark for it when groups differ so much with so many different members.

And as for Fansub/group-reviews per series, we used to have something for it called WTF (We The Fans), which analyzed all fansubs for a certain series and published comparisons.
In the end they stopped it, because groups felt offended and it attracted too many flames (iirc). You can still find its origin though; WTF started at AnimePlanet`s forums and AniDB links to AnimePlanet.
Perhaps you could take a look there :)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I propose instead that EXP handles THIS issue, and with it, puts agcmts access on the group page where the current 'vote' column is. I'll do a mock-up, if he shows an interest...

Rar
Audity

Post by Audity »

I don't know how numerous people working with a group has to do with the idea that much. It's all about the final result of all episodes subbed thus far right? If all reviews were to meet exact requirements like "you must cover all grounds with at least 3 sentences", it could eliminate problems. Of course, you'll run into members who have no knowledge whatsoever of encoding and all whatever intricate details that are hard for the common Joe to figure out, like me, but it could be stated officially whether or not someone has a good knowledge base around their words. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to do all this, heh.

It wouldn't mean that the ultimate result would be to CHOOSE THIS SUB GOGOGO, since everyone cares more about the individual "quality rating" categories rather than THIS IS THE BEST FANSUB THE END GOGOGO, so if done right, the idea of reviewing groups in one way or another has the potential to lead to no flaming at all, while giving equal opportunity rights to reviews of all colors (harhar). I don't know how WTF made it so flames were able to happen. In the end it's up to the people in charge. I'll leave my idea at that.

Hmm I just saw "New Language/Sub system for anidb - Discussion". Does that thread have any similarities in idea to this one?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

No. And what you want is already covered by agcmts, it's just the interface sucks.

Rar
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

As an added info lets say that I see lots of flamind in the comments already. I even see peoples that answer to a previous comment wich is uther nonsense imo
suppy

Post by suppy »

hopefully this can be better controlled when/if we get minimods: http://wiki.anidb.info/w/Tracker:userlevel

looking forward to seeing that implemented
worf

Post by worf »

yeah. "minimods" will not only reduce the workload of the mods but will also (hopefully) clear up anidb a little.

but for clearing up agcmts a feature to edit them would be needed. (dont know if mods can do it atm or just delete them).
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

worf wrote:but for clearing up agcmts a feature to edit them would be needed. (dont know if mods can do it atm or just delete them).
atm, only deletion is possible.
and even with mini-mods, i probaly wouldn't add an edit option.
either a comment is acceptable and stays or it is deleted. There is no point in wasting the (mini)mods time with editing.

i'll probably add some automatic notification to the user "please note your comment XYZ was just deleted by a mod", or something like that.
if the user feels like it, he can repost a new, acceptable version of the comment.

BYe!
EXP
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Then minimods are awfully needed because the bad comments like this piece of shit dont belong in anidb (and i didnt search long for those wich were following each others):

16.12.2005 by inihility (99931)
karnot you either don`t have the codec, downloaded a corrupted file, or your just an arse ;)

17.12.2005 by karnot (112723)
Or maybe you are just a blind idiot yourself, i might say. So which is it ? You can remain an idiot forever, for all i care, but that wont change the fact that iichan encode is just dirt.

Actually, iichan themselves said that they INTENTIONALLY made a BAD BLURRY encode, for "encouraging the fans to buy DVDs", so to say. So there. Boo, iichan, get out of fansub community you losers !
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

We don't need bloody minimods, we just don't want features that arren't logged anywhere, they're bloody impossible to track. We have a channel full of people who could get stupid comments deleted already, more eyes is not the problem, exp's holes are.

Rar
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

well whatever the solution is up to you guys but its clearly needed
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Er, to clarify, that's public logging. Though it's probably possible to maintain some sense of order just from the internal, stuff like this can certainly be avoided. I guess I'll write a template-message for idiot-comment (hm.. no comment guidelines on the wiki though?) and get notifying and wiping.

Rar