Genre Discussion [DONE/DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

requiem

Post by requiem »

yidaki wrote:People add genres way too easily.
If one person cracks a joke in one episode, they say its a comedy.
If they start a brawl in a bar in two episodes, they say its an action.
If they sit down and talk about what has happened in another episode, they say its drama.
People need to see the big picture.
Sure, one can like just that portion of the anime, but the genres are for describing the anime, not advertising it.
I fully agree with you on this. Look at Princess Tutu http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... me&aid=516 for example - somebody felt they needed to add practically almost everything to it. :roll:

My gripe today is that there are some animes that really should earn an extra genre rating, because the genre is either harder to see, or just eccentric enough to be considered. For example, ROD the T.V. http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... arch=rodtv has a lot of silent humor, or "innuendo comedy" that many people may miss or not care to see is funny (also let's not forget that Japanese humor is based quite a bit on it's culture - animes like Azumanga Daioh may bring tears to the eyes of those with laughter in Japan, but could piss off people in Estonia (gomen ne, nwa-senpai: it had to be you :wink:)).
Also, RODtv has a scene with boobies giggling and tits dangling out - I don't think some people would expect that from that show (as I had no clue at all), and though I didn't mind :D , someone else just might. Therefore the category ecchi might be appropriate for that single instance.

Of course I know I could add those genres to RODtv, but a) I'm too lazy atm, and b) this is a good example to keep for now.

throws $0.02 into the pot* 8)
Fixy

Post by Fixy »

There could be something like "request remove genre" to get rid of the wrong genres. Those who can add genres should be the one who added the anime and also people who have seen the whole anime (or if you want to be really hard only people who have written an review.)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Fixy wrote:There could be something like "request remove genre" to get rid of the wrong genres. Those who can add genres should be the one who added the anime and also people who have seen the whole anime (or if you want to be really hard only people who have written an review.)
I don't think that's needed. Genres shouldn't be added with a new anime. Genres should be added by aniDB admins on users request and after a long debate. And writing a review doesn't give any credit for the user to be right at the genres.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I fully agree to what DonGato said.

Genres are something that should be pre-set like Codecs.
Fixy

Post by Fixy »

Yes you are right, after reading the topic about reviews that would be totally wrong :P
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I agree with the Don as well. A genre is something vast and fixed. You`re not supposed to fiddle around too much with it. Already we have enough discussion whether or not a genre is appropriate for a series, or whether a genre is obsolete or just plain wrong.
If you want a new genre, you should give valid reasons why you believe it should be added and most of the time it`s rejected.

A reply to requiem here as well: Just because an anime has one ecchi scene, it doesn`t mean it deserves the genre ecchi. A genre is supposed to describe the general sort of anime it is, not trying to put everything in it just for one scene :) While it might be appropriate for that one scene, it`s inappropriate to put with the entire series.
I think that`s mainly what you wanted to say, although you made it look like it`s justified ;)

Anyway, you did point out a new thing: the subtle comedy-kind. R.O.D. TV and Rumic Theater are series which have that, and perhaps you could think of Black Heaven the same way. It`s kind of hard to give it the genre comedy due to the non-rofl-comedy, but it has its charms in subtle humor. I guess the only way to indicate that would be either writing an appropriate description or a review.
egg

Post by egg »

I don't really care what the ultimate list of genres is. Although there has been some talk of dropping Demons, this is a particularly useful genre when combined with Hentai (I skip these). Actually with Hentai there could be a few genres added. :oops:

The main issue I think with the genres is how easy it is to create them. I think that the owner should create them when the anime is created, and then after that, changes (additions and deletions) should be creqs... Actually, relations should be handled the same way, Tenchi Muyo has already had some people re-add redundant links.

The second issue with the genres is the lack of definitions, in particular there should be distinctions between similar genres so that it is clear what the user is choosing. Maybe something like the add relation page.

Finally, I also would appreciate some sort of [age] rating system.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

egg wrote:Finally, I also would appreciate some sort of [age] rating system.
Bad idea. How would you rate Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi? Or Card Captor Sakura? ;)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

If you want age ratings egg, you can just look at:
http://www.abcb.com/parents/

Very useful to find out if an anime is suitable to show your parents. :D

Rar
egg

Post by egg »

Rar wrote:If you want age ratings egg, you can just look at:
http://www.abcb.com/parents/
Nice, I didn't know about that, a little small though. Also ANN has a bunch, but it would be nice if we could query/sort by ratings... If it is added to the DB, then hopefully we could get that functionality at least in AOM...
Elberet wrote:
egg wrote:Finally, I also would appreciate some sort of [age] rating system.
Bad idea. How would you rate Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi? Or Card Captor Sakura? ;)
It should probably should be a different thread to discuss this, but I saw it in previous posts which is why I mentioned it... Realisticly, unless exp feels so inclined to do it, I assume he will say the info is elsewhere and either deny or postpone it. BTW, exp, if you are considering doing it, I would be willing to write a script to extract the ratings from ANN, match them up to aid's and put them in a delimited file/spreadsheet or insert/update statements for you to initially load the DB...

According to ANN:
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi - Older Children (May contain mild bad language, bloodless violence)
Card Captor Sakura - All Ages (Nothing objectionable)

According to the Anime Cafe:
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi - G - Suitable for General Audiances
Card Captor Sakura - G - Suitable for General Audiances

According to the MPAA:
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi - PG
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Ahh, that's what you mean... I was thinking you were talking about a rating that determines for what age group the anime is intended, e.g. "for small children", "for children", "for teenagers", and so on, based on the topic and complexity of the storyline instead of the amount of violence of bad language. The latter two are measureable in a somewhat objective way, at least, but a rating based on the first two is impossible since people's opinions would differ too greatly.
Elias

Post by Elias »

After spotting some discussion about genres on AR forum
( http://animereactor.ath.cx/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8635 )
i want to add my two cents.
1. There should be some explanation page (available as link when adding new genres) at last for some not very popular genres (i still have no idea, what is classification for Dementia genre) - in link pointed before is description for Shounen, Shoujo and Ecchi genres - good for start.

2. Current list of genres is rather good (only flaw is IMHO Love story and Romance, aren't they mean the same?). Some of genres are sometime rather subgenres (but beeing subgenre does not mean subgenre allways must be with its parent-genre, like samurai is normally subgenre of historical, but ... 'Honoo no Samurai' is not historical, and for allmost all genres can be found some examples like this), but are usefull for searching and should stay all and there are should be added never if there is enough titles thay can share this new genre.

3. My proposals for new genres:
Police - self explaining?, titles: (all having police in title): AD police, Dominion tank police, Mobile police patlabor, Tokio private police, ...You're under arrest, Angel Cop, Kamyla
androids - when one of main character is android, robot or something alike, titles: Armitage, Battle Angel, Buttobi, Chobits, Hand Maid May and Mai, NGE, Mahoromatic
angels - where are demons, maybe angels should be also, titles: Angel Sancturary, Aa Megami-sama, Haibane Renmei, NGE
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think we're confusing characters with genres now. Since when AA Megami Sama was intended to be Angels/Daemons oriented? IMO they are something used for the story, just that. In fact we discussed about reducing the list but not adding more. :P
Elias

Post by Elias »

Ok, have to watch megamisama again. In manga angels played bigger role, than in anime (maybe they even not in anime).

And in discussion about reducing i already wrote my opinion: don't reduce but rather add more. Maybe it will make more work with choosing from greater number of genres, but than genres will be more usable for describing content of title and searching titles matching personal taste.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

In AMG it is not really clear whether the sisters really are angels since the system incorporated in "heaven" is so far from our perception (or better: the christian perception) of heaven, that you have to think they are something else.

But I have to admit you could consider them beeing angels and I think the category fits then. Of course if you were raised catholic in germany like me you think that angels actually are definately something else than the people appearing in AMG so that might be the reason for the argument. :)