continious voting on anime eps [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

continious voting on anime eps [DONE]

Post by exp »

Hm,

I've been thinking a bit how we could better indicate the quality (of the anime aka story&co, not file/rip quality) of still ongoing anime series. Most of us will not vote for an anime untill we have seen it completely after all.

Currently i have two things in mind which might come in handy here:
a) temporary votes - a checkbox @ voting which will mark the vote as temporary. temporary votes will displayed and counted seperatly from the normal votes.
b) an way to vote for each single episode together with an extra page which would display the rating of all eps of an anime as graph.

i think i don't need to say anything about a).

the interesting part about b) would be that one could actually look at the graph and instantly see if the story has a slow start and how it is developping from ep to ep @ quality.
the problem with b) is of course that it's only usefull if ppl actually use it, so i am wondering atm if we have enough ppl who would actually vote for each single episode after watching it.
opposed to a) the info gathered with b) would actually be usefull even after the series aired completly.

comments?

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'd use per ep voting if there are client api commands for doing it, no way I'm waiting for webpages to load to vote though. 8O

(After all, AOM is there cause I don't like clicking around so much :P)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

PetriW wrote:I'd use per ep voting if there are client api commands for doing it, no way I'm waiting for webpages to load to vote though. 8O
there would also be a Chii command for that.
probably even faster than using AoM :P

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

No way, it's an extra right click then two left clicks while marking it watched. :D
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think there won't be much people using it or adding the needed info to be useful, but we can see it... the worst that can happen is that it ends like the cliffhanger feature.
egg

Post by egg »

I don't think there will be a lot of use of per episode voting either (I don't think I would...). Temp voting would be nice though. I think this is a more elegant solution than the voting mechanisms mentioned in the past that tried to make a vote's quality based on the number of episodes that were in mylist.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Since temp-voting is now in, it would be useful to determine whether any of the existing votes should be "transferred" to temp-votes (from the permanent votes they are counted as now).
I'd suggest to do so for all votes for ongoing series (type = TV/OVA/Unknown, eps = 0 or eps listed < total eps ). Additionally, perm votes could be disallowed for all animes where the ep-count is not known.

Oh, and myplace/myvotes should get an update ;)
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=myplace
(maybe show temp-votes in italics)
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=myvotes
(same here - there could also be a second column for temp votes)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I like 2)
If you put it in, please implement voting on the quality as well. If people are urged to vote on every single episode out, they might as well tell us if or if not they liked the version they saw by a certain group or not. What better time than now will there ever be? besides, it should be pretty similar if voting on EPs is added to add the same code for files.

I had series like Inu Yasha in mind when you mentioned the continuous voting. The encodes available for the first 80 episodes are horrible considering the quality (or rather were since DVD encodes up to EP 45 are now available).
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

first version is now implemented btw.

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Yeah well I'll kiss my per file vote idea goodbye then :)

Nevermind, Group rating is a good indicator.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the ratings of the encoding group next to the group tag then when choosing a file to download?

I mean all things quality-based aside if the only real indicator that a file can be judged upon is the group rating then maybe it should be next to the group someway. The only way I come across group votes is the front page at the moment. Other than that I simply did not notice yet and I'd have to look it up right now ...
Stray7Xi

Post by Stray7Xi »

I like the idea but I can't imagine voting on every episode individually.. What would make this something I'd use is if on the mylist i can click a bunch of episodes and give them all the same vote at the same time.

So for example I might decide I really liked the first season of an anime so i can check boxes next to the first 26 episodes and then select good, and rate all 26 with a single submit. Then I can go on to check the next 26 as fine as a second submit. Right now it's two submits per EP, it would take me 10 minutes to vote a season. Plus less submits means less bandwidth usage for the website.
Stray7Xi

Post by Stray7Xi »

I had some questions about temporary vote...

First does it effect anime hint?

Second would a top 10 ongoing/new series award be possible?

Finally my gripe.. is temporary voting really necessary for series that have over 50ep's, I noticed some really long series votes got converted to temporary votes (i.e. Inu-yasha, One Piece, Naruto). It's scary seeing those series no longer have a rating from anime list.

By moving it to a system that someone is supposed to watch many episodes before making a visible vote (permanent vote), isn't that going to skew the results. I really doubt someone that watched 10+ hours of something is ever going to give it less then a 8. Meanwhile there might be ten times as many people that watch five episodes decide its crap, vote 4 and their votes wouldn't be visible because it's temporary?

It sounds to me the only reason to use temporary vote is if you don't want your vote to count (which people may want at times). But with EP voting, you could quantify your vote as unfinished by just voting for those episodes. For new series, it'd make sense if a global vote would actually just count as EP votes for all the episodes currently in DB. So as more EP's are released, they aren't effected by the earlier uninformed vote.

If people make bad faith permanent votes (meaning they voted permanently but are still watching the series and it may change) then this changed system skews results. For example 2 people vote, both watching the same number of EP's, both having same uncertainty for future... In theory they should have equal weighting. But if one marks their vote permanent, their vote is favored.

As a prediction and an example... Naruto is currently 8.71 (927 votes) all temporary votes which is probably what it was before these changes. Once the rabid-foaming-at-the-mouth-fanboys come out and make their votes permanent. It'll prally look something like Permanent 9.3 (10 votes) with temporary 8.69 (917 votes).

ps on offtopic note... 927 votes, jesus christ how did it get so many. Next highest appeared to be Cowboy Bebop with 759 votes... Sad day when more people have seen Naruto then Bebop :( Not that I have anything against Naruto I think its good, just picking on it because the fanbase scares me.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think permanent should be only available when the anime is complete.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Well, that's the way it is! As long as it is a 0 episodes series you can't permanently vote.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No, it's not like that. Just voted permanent for Bakuretsu Tenshi that wasn't complete by any group (aired episode 2)!