File on DVD [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Power

File on DVD [DENIED]

Post by Power »

Hi!! I would like some little features to be added.

First - On the state i would like it if there was another option. on DVD

Second - an other option to show that you have a certain anime on original DVD or that it has been ripped personally. I'm not quite sure if this exists bu it would be really cool..

thanks!
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Regarding the first, what's wrong with on-cd ? Think of "cd" as a placeholder for "digital optical storage medium" and you've got CDs, DVDs BluRay discs and any other future extrenal optical mass storage all covered. In fact, "on-cd" would even apply if you have the file on a streamer tape, because the result is the same: No matter if it's CD, DVD or tape, in order to get the file (to reshare it), you have to find in on your shelf, mount it and read it back onto your hdd...

For the second, I would suggest you select the most appropriate existing DVD-rip, add that to your mylist and mark it as "corrupted". (The "corrupted" flag for files in the mylist is a separate feauture request and not yet implemented, tho.)
egg

Post by egg »

Actually I think that Power is referring to an original [released] DVD or VHS. Not necessarily a fan-sub. He could always mark a particular Fan-Sub as being the one he has, but that wouldn't be accurate for the statistics.

I have been thinking about requesting a similar situation, I have a seen some anime that I would like to mark as seen. I don't want to download or mark particular fansubs as seen, but I would like to flag it somehow. For instance, what if I wanted to make Pokemon as seen [I don't, but somebody added it, so somebody probably does], there are no files associated, so it is impossible to mark it as seen.

I see two ways of implementing something like this, the ability to mark the episode itself (not an associated file) as had and/or seen.

Make every episode have a "dummy" file (maybe called something like DVD/VHS/...) that could be marked as had and/or seen.

In these particular cases it would be nice to be able to mark these as seen and not necessarily had.

Including the ability for people who actually own 8O anime to track their collections would be a nice feature.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Exp put that request far on the todo list because it would be too easy for lazy users to add eps on their list without selecting the file they really have... It would be more damaging to file stats that way!

For now, until the corrupted flag is implemented, exp suggested to add a file and mark it as deleted, this way it doesn't affect the stats.
British

Post by British »

Dunno if I'm in the right thread, but here goes !
I discovered AniDB this very day and started to (slowly) build my personal anime list.
Sure, nothing of interest so far...

But then I thought of anime that I have in fansub and DVD (I mean... commercial release)... any chance to state a series both ways ?

If it's already implemented and I didn't see it, then you can bash me (but softly, please) :oops:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I guess add a generic for the dvd release and a normal file for the fansub. After all, you don't add episodes to your mylist, you add files.
British

Post by British »

I'm not sure I get the subtle difference :?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

AniDB's mylist lets people track the fansubs they've collected. As such, the mylist doesn't contain animes or episodes but only files. If e.g. the file AnY released for KURAU episode 21 is in your mylist, then AniDB will list that anime, that episode and that file in your mylist - not because it you added anime or episode, but because it can find out what anime and episode each file in the database belongs to.

If you have both a fansub and a DVD for an episode, you can add both: The fansub file is most likely already listed in the database. But since listing the DVD is technically not worthwhile, you can't add it to your mylist directly. Instead you add a so-called "generic file".

Generics are special files that are associated with an anime and episode but do not contain all the information normal files do, such as the group that released the file, size, play-length, ed2k-hash and so on. On the other hand, each generic in your mylist let's you specify where or how you've seen that episode, e.g. in a cinema, on DVD or in some other way. Generic files are sort of wildcard markers to keep your mylist clean, so to speak. :)
British

Post by British »

Eh, thanks for the explanation, I'm beginning to understand who it works :D