Links to a DVD Database/Shops or incorporate DVD [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Links to a DVD Database/Shops or incorporate DVD [DENIED]

Post by Skywalka »

*climbs on his soapbox*

This might sound silly but what about adding a list of DVD(s) an anime episode is available on?

I mean it might sound silly but it might, just might be possible that someone who saw this or that episode wants to actually *gasp* BUY an episode on DVD - then he/she would have to look up a DVD review and find out whether it is really worth buying, or he/she would have so search the net IF the anime is available on DVD already in his/her country AT ALL.

I don't really request a DVD review part (yet). But let's simply take GitS SAC. It is available in Japan on DVD up to EP 14 or something? The fansubbing stopped *gasp* and now everyone and his sister is desperate to get the missing episodes. Once the DVDs are releases in another country (most of the time that would be the US) it would be nice to get a notify that the DVD is available now (which might also be a reason to now look for DVD Rips but who knows maybe someone will actually visit an onlineshop and buy the DVD). And then maybe once the DVD release reaches a NEW (not yet fansubbed episode) everyone will jump back on the waggon and get those DVD Rips or the DVDs.

That list of DVDs could first of all simply encorporate the company who released the file and maybe a unique identification number if there is such a thing. If it is possible you could also simply find out how to hand over a search query to different onlineshops and query those shops with the Anime's title.

And of course that would be applicable for every country, that way you'd find out in how many countries an anime is already available on DVD.

Later on you could add other features like reviews of the Anime and such things, and maybe a rating. Maybe pages like animeondvd could be queried but maybe they won't allow that, who knows.

But since ONLY copying is not symbiotic but freeloading and actually (I guess) killing the stuff me all like we should try to help those people investing in our hobby to get their money back for licensing, voice acting and subbing.

*climbs off his soapbox*

Thank you :)
rowaasr13

JFYI

Post by rowaasr13 »

JFYI: All (ok, 99%) japanese CDs and DVDs have such ID numbers. For example, first DVD for Koukaku Kidoutai STAND ALONE COMPLEX is BCBA-1391. You can enter it in search on http://www.amazon.co.jp or view it on Neowing (known as CDJapan to those who speak english).
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Hmm, I like the idea...

Benefits:
- Generally useful feauture.
- Stresses the fact that fansubbers and fansub viewers are not evil copyright pirates. ;)

Problems:
- Commercialization?
- What if an anime is split into many DVDs? Would each Ep have it's own media ID?
- Where can exp buy 200 slaves, err... find voluntary helpers to update all animes that are already in the database?

Post by Guest »

Elberet wrote:Hmm, I like the idea...
- What if an anime is split into many DVDs? Would each Ep have it's own media ID?
Yes. For example SAC would have BCBA-1391 assigned to eps. 1 and 2, BCBA-1392 to eps. 3 and 4 and so on... Also note, than some episodes may have several assigned numbers, if there were more than one release - for example Saishuuheiki Kanojo ep.1 exist both on TBD-3000 and TBD-3001 (first one is special and second is regular edition).
- Where can exp buy 200 slaves, err... find voluntary helpers to update all animes that are already in the database?
Well, why hurry? It will be updated over time...
rowaasr13

Ahem, forgot to login...

Post by rowaasr13 »

Just for note, previous post was mine.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Re: Ahem, forgot to login...

Post by Gambit »

rowaasr13 wrote:Just for note, previous post was mine.
I don`t believe you, gimme proof :lol:

Anyway, I back you guys up with this request.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

dunno,

don't have a good idea how to implement this. and i wouldn't give it any high priority either.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

exp wrote:don't have a good idea how to implement this.
*/me swallows his tongue.*
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Elberet wrote:
exp wrote:don't have a good idea how to implement this.
*/me swallows his tongue.*
i am looking for an _easy_ way to implement this of course }:o)

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

That's why I did not bring up that idea about the dynamic info bits again, which were meant to provide the collections feauture discussed previously, but could also be used to provide the means to store any number of DVD-ids per anime... ;)
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Hey Elberet, continue like that and you will definitely get them! :wink:
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Iceman[grrrr] wrote:Hey Elberet, continue like that and you will definitely get them! :wink:
"them" as in "kicks in the butt"? Yeah, that might be true. If the roles were reversed, I guess I'd have set myself to ignore a long time ago... :mrgreen: ;)
UnpredictableStockMarket?

Post by UnpredictableStockMarket? »

dvds are kinda the same as the ed2k links that have more than one episode in them, so couldnt you just add a little section beneath those and let people add dvds themselves? they could use the ASIN numbers to identify each release and the group could be the studio. and while your at it, could you add a thing for rented/owned where it says on hdd/cdd/deleted.
UnpredictableStockMarket?

Post by UnpredictableStockMarket? »

and if your not to busy.. is there someway to say we saw it in the theater?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

UnpredictableStockMarket? wrote:and if your not to busy..
x_X
i think i'll print that and pin it on my office wall.

BYe!
EXP