Storage field, usable for searchs in anidb?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

kazuma6666

Storage field, usable for searchs in anidb?

Post by kazuma6666 »

I've been using anidb with webaom for a few months now. I can't use AOM right now, since i'm using an old computer, and it takes around 1 hour to start (256 Mb ram :( ).

I'm also changing my storage policy. I decided not to use DVDs anymore, so I only use Hard disks to store anime. I was wondering if it was possible to use the storage field as a search field. For example, getting all anime that have HDD1 in the storage field.

It would make searching for specific anime a lot easier, since it's on 200-500 Gb disks (I'm using Networks drives since my computer can't use HDDs > 130Gb).

Thanks for your time already, I searched a bit on the forum before, but I don't think I saw anything about this.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

well for advance search/search file searching will not be allowed.

for mylist searching/filtering it's a possibility. Search the tracker to see if there is some entry like what you want, if so add a note, if there isn't anything similar, add a new tracker item.
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

fahrenheit wrote: for mylist searching/filtering it's a possibility. Search the tracker to see if there is some entry like what you want, if so add a note, if there isn't anything similar, add a new tracker item.
A filter for mylist would be the best actually. I would like to be able to put a link on the HDD, so when you connect it you can see the content with the anidb mylist feature, access reviews, votes and so on.

I suppose you are talking about the feature request/bug tracker. I'm currently reading the documentation, and I'll make a new entry if necessary.

I didn't consider asking for a change actually, thanks for the answer. I suppose it could be helpfull for other people, since the HDDs are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I wonder if it's interesting enough to request a change after all...
worf

Post by worf »

go for it. everything that makes the storage field even more useful and makes more ppl use it has my support :p
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Re: Storage field, usable for searchs in anidb?

Post by Gambit »

kazuma6666 wrote:It would make searching for specific anime a lot easier, since it's on 200-500 Gb disks (I'm using Networks drives since my computer can't use HDDs > 130Gb).
I suppose you`re running W2k or something on that computer without the Big_LBA enabled, or .. ?

Perhaps you already know, but here`s some snippet for enabling that:
You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1

4. Quit Registry Editor.
And the next time you buy a new unformatted HDD, hook it up and see if it recognizes the size ;) Don`t use an HDD you already have in use to test it :P
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

he could have lba48 support disabled on his bios also
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

I'll try what you said gambit, but I was thinking that I couldn't use those drives because of my hardware...

I've got my computer since 7 years if I remember correctly, it's my old amd 1200 Mhz. But I'll try, if I can use bigger disks in my comp it would be good, I only have one disk with less then 130 Gb on it...

I'll also check my bios next time I reboot. In fact I should probably do bios update... Now I have to remember my motherboard type...
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

kazuma6666 wrote:I'll try what you said gambit, but I was thinking that I couldn't use those drives because of my hardware...

I've got my computer since 7 years if I remember correctly, it's my old amd 1200 Mhz. But I'll try, if I can use bigger disks in my comp it would be good, I only have one disk with less then 130 Gb on it...
I have an AMD Duron 1000 Mhz, somewhere around 5 years old, which is also capable of working with > 127 GB disks. So it shouldn`t be hardware related. Microsoft didn`t realize it back then that their OS should be compatible with such larger disks.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

actually gambit it is.

both mainboards and os had that cap. so if he has a stoneage mb he is stuck with 127gb unless his manufacturer released some "new" firmware
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

Der Idiot wrote:both mainboards and os had that cap. so if he has a stoneage mb he is stuck with 127gb unless his manufacturer released some "new" firmware
Nope. The BIOS can limit some things, among them the size of the bootable partition. But once the control is moved to any sufficiently sophisticated OS, the BIOS has absolutely no authority. For example, Linux can be made boot from a disk where the BIOS doesn't see more than 8 gigs of it, and still have the full disk available.
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

Bah, I'm gonna get a new computer soon, I won't upgrade my bios in this computer because I had a lot of problems with computer lately, and I wouldn't want to break the last working one. Meanwhile I'll use the network drive to access my other disks.