Why are there sometimes many "no group" listings?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

micronicos

Why are there sometimes many "no group" listings?

Post by micronicos »

First to thank AniDB for being a great resource - I use you almost daily.

My query is to why some titles have many "no group" entries - often identical?

Example - Serial Experiments Lain:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... 1#eid_1981

More curious than anything else .....

Regards,
Nico M
ricce

Post by ricce »

It, to me looks like a file that have become damaged during transmission and now exits in several variants that only differs by checksums in AniDB.

As we are talking about no or unknown group it is difficult to figure out which of the files are the orginal (undamaged) file as there is no official CRCs.

Those files where most likely initially realeased on a p2p netwok that don't makes any good sanity checks on downloaded material and the downloader did not detect the damage before resharing it.

Those files are often in bad quality and tend to be hard to find, so you should ignore them anyway.

AniDB should have all damaged or variants of a file. If we can figure out which of the files or the original file the other should be marked "invalid CRC" and/or "Eyecancer" (In quality field).
micronicos

CRCs huh ....

Post by micronicos »

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, I should see what I can find about how AniDB acquires items for listing .... I guess they have bots that are then manually inspected & they don't want to throw anything away unless indisputably incorrect.

And you are right - I compared a few files of identical length of Lain 1 & they all have different checks of all 4 types.

Regards,
Nico M
suppy

Post by suppy »

no .. no bots. it's all done by all the members of anidb.
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

Files with incorrect CRC's are in the db if they are widespread through the community. AniDB doesn't really acquire items (to my knowledge) but members add new files,episodes,animes, etc.
Amour

Re: CRCs huh ....

Post by Amour »

micronicos wrote:I guess they have bots
We only use qualified AI.