Voting Rating with +, ++, +++, ...

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

swtrse

Voting Rating with +, ++, +++, ...

Post by swtrse »

Well,

I think the comments like (recommend, good, ...) should be added again in the Combo box for Voting. Sice they are not there anymore I noticed that I have no real clue anymore how to vote fair for that Anime. It endet up that I vote depending on my mood and on the rating that is already given to that Anime.

Maybe some other has teh same problem so I think the comments should be added again to the combo boxes.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I agree but I don't think several of the other mods care since they despise the old recommendations for half a million silly reasons so...

Anyway, the pluses are just bleh, imho they should be removed....
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

i'm neutral on this issue. last time i voted via the webinterface was ages ago

chii > *
KaioShin86

Post by KaioShin86 »

PetriW wrote: Anyway, the pluses are just bleh, imho they should be removed....
I agree, the look out of place and don't really help you at all on how to vote. The old little comments instead helped a good deal with deciding on what to vote. I'd wish to see them back :(
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

the point is that the numbers doesn't mean anything by themselves; they never did and they never will. thinking that they do is a mistake and the descriptions were thus misguiding. (and actually bad with the new rating system)

the numbers have only relative meaning. when voting you should include your previous votes in the decision. "i voted 5 for A and 7 for B, where does this leave C? if it was better than A ..." and so on. you should not think "this was good, i must give it a 7" and then expect everyone else to put the same meaning in 7. the rating system doesn't care either way.

use the whole range (well, leave some space at top and bottom). don't exlude the lower half because "nothing is that bad", etc. if you are interested in finding users with same taste as you, use hint.

one possibility instead of the silly ++ is to use text fields and let everyone use "fine grained" votes (and not just the irc monkeys)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Having a text field is poor usability imho, better have it like it is now (or have both I guess)...

Anyway, what you describe is what I and I bet many others did with the text hints. Very little stuff deserve 4 or less, so expecting people to use that doesn't really work... I mean, once you've seen Maze Bakunetsu Jikuu you know it takes a lot to beat it (downward that is!). But even Maze doesn't deserve a 1. ;)

But I really don't understand what finegrained votes and the plus signs have in common, the current use of the plus signs in the dropdrown just make the thing cluttered. They serve no real purpose (they're duplicated information), hence they should either be removed or changed/explained. Imho, the old texts served a purpose in hinting people toward what to vote, the plus signs do not.
Last edited by PetriW on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

watch lolikon angel and you have soemthing for your 1 vote :P
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

yeah, the ++ was only to give the dropdown some width, but that is of course unnecessary. will remove

"Very little stuff deserve 4 or less" <- that is exactly the point. you translate 4 into "BAD", which it's not. it's just a number. people can, will and have put whatever meaning they want into 4 (and even "BAD"). and the most "serious" voters are the ones disregarding the descriptions the most (i can of course not prove that.. hehe) the good news is that the rating system doesn't care.
Sosseres

Post by Sosseres »

Well if you want people to consider where to put in each one compared to others, why not then have a list of each anime voted on before where you have to put it in between two to vote? I would no longer vote if that were the case (to many series I can't recall well), but it would be clear where each vote ought to end up after the first few starting votes.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I relate 4 to bad through how I've seen essentially everything else graded throughout my life. I won't change that for anidb. ;)
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

"I won't change that for anidb." <- then we agree.

yes, the interface could use much improvement. (atm it's a hassle to rework your votes if you want to.) something like sosseres suggests is one possibility for making new votes
Sosseres

Post by Sosseres »

Der Idiot wrote:watch lolikon angel and you have soemthing for your 1 vote :P
I would have to disagree with this. I thought Bible black was slightly worse, with lupin III being much worse than this, but still a 4. So this is a 5 in my book. Even if they hadn't used cuts from one thing to the next as much I would still not raise it to a 6 since I dislike some of the fetishes used. But I have some weird tastes in hentai. :)
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think the descriptions were very useful to give people some idea how to vote in a rather comparable sense. And if I remember correctly there were even detailed explanations on each grade.

Of course the old system produced votes with an average of about 6-7, as most anime which gets fan-subbed or aired is at least no utter crap. With suddenly changing the voting guidelines you render "anime hint" completely useless, as rating scales are not comparable any more (at least not between old lurkers like myself and n00bs who discovered anidb just a few days ago).
egg

Post by egg »

kidan wrote:With suddenly changing the voting guidelines you render "anime hint" completely useless, as rating scales are not comparable any more (at least not between old lurkers like myself and n00bs who discovered anidb just a few days ago).
Not necessarily, using Pearson's under weight style (click Show User Options to see the option) is supposed to work on patterns of voting (highs and lows) rather than strictly what numbers were used. It still has its shortcomings, but it is more tolerant than the other methods.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I also didn`t think the +signs were better. I understand that they were simply a sort of placeholder, but really, then just use the number itself.
And while one may debate whether or not the descriptions were correct, we did have an actual debate about that where several people on the forums came up with meaningful descriptions.

At least the descriptions were a sort of guideline for people who were new to AniDB. Like kidan said, it`s exactly those people who could use a little guidance. I admit it`s not difficult to have a 1-10 scale and then rate with it, but it doesn`t hurt either. Either way, I don`t think that having different opinions about a 7 will really bother anyone. If you consider 7 as 'average', 'above average' or 'pretty good actually', it is still your vote and you can use it the way you want.