New rating calculations/system

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

ohtoriakio

New rating calculations/system

Post by ohtoriakio »

Hey there,

I just noticed the new way ratings for reviews were calculated and I must say I really like the new system. I would just like to know a little more about it though, like for instance how does it work? Because if I take the rating average of a series in mind if still equals to another total... Is there a third party who equalises the final rating? And also a couple of my ratings/votes disappeared in the process, is there a particular reason for it?
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

None of your votes should've disappeared unless they were orphaned votes (votes for entries that no longer exist).

We don't plan on making the logic behind the system public since we don't really want to give ballot stuffers any help in forcing their questionable taste on AniDB as a whole, which has historically been a problem for us.

I'm glad you like the results though.
ohtoriakio

Post by ohtoriakio »

Thanks for your quick reply, the votes didn't disappear after a close check, it's just that they werent'listed as being part of the overall vote like a couple of series which had 3 votes only got listed for 2 and such. It's all good though.
merkhant

Post by merkhant »

I do not agree with not revealing the new algorithm for counting the avarage, but OK, if you think it will help, it is your decision.

Still, I would like to know what I should take into consideration while voting, so I have two general questions:

Does the new algorithm take into account:
1. the total number of votes made by the user?
2. the avarage of those votes?

P.S. Yes, I am one of those guys that in the past sometimes gave a series a vote higher than it really deserved not to feel bad about lowering it's total score too much.
Last edited by merkhant on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Not telling.

There are only two voting guidelines that you should need:

- Give better anime higher votes
- Leave some space at the top and bottom for still better (or worse) anime
asmodias

Post by asmodias »

do you really expect people to approve of your change in the rating if you don't tell them how it works? i know alot of people who disapprove of this. your ratings are very confusing!

and why won't u tell ppl how it works? mayb e its cuz ur rating everything by ur opinion of the anime and urs only
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

So that you can learn to manipulate the top ten better, malwaredie? (Your original account's votes look quite similar too!) Yes, I know who you are and I look forward to seeing how ineffective I can render your petty manipulations.

Auto-ban for voting 1 for nausicaa might be a start.
Last edited by pelican on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Also, Peter Pan? I think you're fighting a losing battle there.
asmodias

Post by asmodias »

malware die is my brother
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Damn, and I had money on a sister claim, so close, but yet so far.

Rar
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

BTW, you can stop changing your votes on your main account already. We've already seen them so you're not fooling anybody and if you're trying to determine how to fool the system I can save you a little frustrating work: the ratings don't update in real time any more.
asmodias

Post by asmodias »

no i don't care if the systems don't change i just want to apologize for giving so many anime 1 ratings, even though they don't deserve them. and also malware die really is my brother i made my account b4. I was the one who gave peter pan a 10 rating because i was fooling around on his account and i am very sorry for that as well. i am also sorry for insulting u earlier.
I'm not gonna give 1 ratings anymore because i can't bring myself to watching shows i detest therefore i can't give permanent votes for them. i'm just gonna vote shows that i really love

kk bye
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I just figured out how the votes for a certain group's release of a certain OVA were calculated. It's not that hard, really. So if people really want to they can figure out how the new system works and how to manipulate it... Hopefully that'll take a while and/or there'll be better mod control over votes.
laxxy

Post by laxxy »

I have a mixed impression. It's nice to see Nausicaa in the top 10, on the other hand some other titles still puzzle me. But there were quite a few in the old top 10 too, not everyone's tastes are similar, so I can't really complain.

It would have been better imo to design a system which would have better innate resistance to vote stuffing rather than to rely on security by obscurity, probably introducing some personal bias into the process. But it was surely up to you.

The one thing that does worry me a bit is the "leave some space on top/bottom" comment. I'm of course not going to get a detailed explanation here, but I'll just make a general comment that any system that would allow for a vote of 9 to increase the rating more than for a vote of 10 for the same title is wrong. I am not sure if that is indeed a feature here.
Eliel

Post by Eliel »

Kino no Tabi in the top ten? Awesome.

Also, I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but does the new system also apply to the averages for reviews? I noticed that some of the approval ratings on mine seem to have spiked quite substantially since the change. Not that I'm complaining, of course, but I was just curious. ^_^