did something change?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

alidan

did something change?

Post by alidan »

*i have no idea if i am doing this right or not, but i still want an answer, please look passed my crappy spelling*

when i came here a while ago (i believe within the last 2 months, i do come here more offen but this was the last time i rember using the anime list to browse, instead of serching) i use to be able to see all the anime at once, as in i i clicked on A i would get every anime with A as a result, but whn i tried to do that reasently, i only got (i believe it was) 10, than i looked in the profile and set it to its max (100) and still i didnt see them all.

this is annoying because im the kind of idiot who cant usualy spell an animes name and usualy cant even remvber which leter the anime started with, so this feature is more of a hassle than any thing else to me. that is why i am asking if its a new feature or if there is a way arround it.

and if there isnt a way around it i request that you consider to make a way around it.

*agein i have no idea if this is the right place for this kind of post or not but i need to find out either way*
Revol

Post by Revol »

j2003

Post by j2003 »

From what I read in the thread mentioned above the resultscap on the listings by letter was put in to improve db performance.

I think you could reimplement it without increasing the load on the db by making static pages for it. Which are generated every 24 hours, or something like that. You could also generate them as needed, when a new anime is added or one is changed, but that would probably take quite a bit more coding. Doing it this way should actually decrease the load on the db.

The complete lists per letter are quite usefull, when you want to know if, for example, the next episode of Hellsing Ultimate is out you go to the f list and do a textsearch for Hellsing, tends to be faster than using Adv. Search.

That said AniDB still is the best animesite I know and I can get where I want using Adv. Search and the new capped lists.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

So you type "hellsing" in the litte text box in the upper right corner and press the search button. Even faster than opening the alphabetic list.
j2003

Post by j2003 »

If I were only trying to keep track of a single anime you would probably be right... I am not though, I'm usually tracking several different animes at any given time.

I (used to) do that by opening several alphbetic lists (the appropriate letters of course ;-) )in tabs, after which I can do most of my navigating by keyboard. This may not be faster for everybody, but it is for me and it is my preferred way to navigate the site.

Like I said in my previous post I would like to have the lists back, but the current situation is quite workable if the devs decide otherwise.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Just use notifications.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Like I said in my previous post I would like to have the lists back, but the current situation is quite workable if the devs decide otherwise.
the previous situation was caused by a bug and was unintended so hence we definitely won't go back.

like mentioned several times already if you have a need for several hundred results something is wrong with the way you use things. an dyes like petriw already said use notifications. The wish list is fine as well. There are tons of ways to do this. Furthermore feel free to suggest _proper_ ways to deal with whatever you want to do. Throwing tons of unfiltered data is not what we want to do.
j2003

Post by j2003 »

Ok, thanks for the replies.

What I read from the thread was that the main reason to change it were performance issues, so I suggested a way to get around that. From what you say here you consider it to be generally unwanted behaviour...

..., so I'll just continue using AniDB as it was intended then 8)

PS Keep up the good work