How come all animes under a letter don't show up?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

tun

How come all animes under a letter don't show up?

Post by tun »

Is there anyway for me to change it back so that I can see every single anime starting with a certain letter? I don't like to keep pressing next to navigate through them when I'm just looking for new stuff to watch.

edit, I found how to change it, but why is it limited to 100? bandwidth issues? :?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

How come, when I search for "furry pron" with google, it doesn't show all eleventy billion results all on one page?

Rar
egg

Post by egg »

There are only 1.5 million hits for furry pron... 1,560,000 actually.

It is a resources issue, bandwidth being a major one. Most pages were already limited in the number of results. If there was one before the update, then it was a bug that just was fixed.
tacter

Post by tacter »

Sad thing, I would also like to have the whole list back, but if it's necessary we can't do anything about it.
KolalaKitty

Post by KolalaKitty »

Rar wrote:How come, when I search for "furry pron" with google, it doesn't show all eleventy billion results all on one page?

Rar
I realize this is sarcasm and what not, but at least Google tells you how many results there are (approx) and how many pages it will be as well as gives you the option to go to say.. the 4th or 8th page from the 1st instead of having to keep clicking Next.. Next.. Next... Google also gives you the option to show more than 20 results at a time. Google shows me 100 at a time as that is what my preferences are set up to do. If it's possible, why not put that type of an option into users' preferences.
imokie

Post by imokie »

KolalaKitty wrote:Google shows me 100 at a time as that is what my preferences are set up to do. If it's possible, why not put that type of an option into users' preferences.
If you go to your profile, you can choose between 10, 20, 30, 50 and 100 entries per page. ;)
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

google is also a highly darnass rich corp. now let's look at anidb... uhhh yeah zip money and all coded by a handful of people (where 95% is from 1 alone) in their freetime. hmmm now guess why anidb's search suckin fucks. anyway yes check your profile the option is in there like various other.
tacter

Post by tacter »

It isn't the search which bothers me, it's the normal letter list.
egg

Post by egg »

tacter wrote:It isn't the search which bothers me, it's the normal letter list.
Which is little more than a search for everything that starts with that letter... It just has an convenient interface and is available in areas where other searching is not available.

The fact that it was not limited before was a bug (probably an oversight originally since for a long time it was unlikely to have more than a page from a particular letter). Now it is true that you do not see the total number of pages, or cannot click to go directly to a page number, but this is functionality that for mylist probably is not a big deal. If you go to your profile and set your "Entries per page" to 100, unless you have a LOT of anime, there would at most only be a few pages worth anyway. If you want to jump to a particular page, you could set the page attribute in the URL, note, it starts with 0 instead of 1.

Also, if you do a search for what you want, it is often easier than going through long lists of animes. You can probably find what you want more efficiently other ways.