Can't get into anything but the main page

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

goroz

Can't get into anything but the main page

Post by goroz »

Hi,
I can't get into anything but the main page, is there some kind of a problem?
When I click any button it loads of like 3 mins the says the page cannot be found.

Help please
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

No there is no problem with the site.

Could you give some more infos? Like Browser,OS

For the first, try to delete the Browser Cache.
goroz

Post by goroz »

Deleting C:\Documents and Settings\E\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 didn't help :(
Changed my IP and that also didn't help

I'm using Window XP and latest explorer, it started last night, never happended to me before, I'm using your site for a long long time.
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

Don't delete things directly in the filesystem. For that IE has a function which is so called "delete files..." or similar in the Internet options. There you can delete all cached files,cookies.

Try Firefox or mozilla or Opera instead. And your OS will live longer.

Isn't ie6.sp2 the uptodate stable version?!
goroz

Post by goroz »

Now some pages load after 5 mins, some never load.

I deleted the thing you told me, didn't work, pages still aren't loading :(

using IE 6.0.2900.2180

Anyway, I didn't change anything before it happened, I was always using this Browser and it always worked.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

DON'T USE IE

Firefox - Opera

Rar
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

IE is unsupported by anidb. if it worked/works fine, but officially we are pretending it doesn't exist. hence there won't be any support for such cases from our side. :P

ona sidenote there were zero changes in anidb's behaviour in the past week so the problem is on your side and/or on the way between. nothing we can do anyway
Gemberkoek

Post by Gemberkoek »

To mingle in the discussion:

Firefox uses "strict"(-er) HTML rules.

IE uses less strict rules.

In general, if firefox displays it correct, IE should display it correct.

The only time (i have noticed) it isn't correct, is when you use align=center or align=right, and a positioning after that. So a good web developer doesn't use that. Apart from that (and some other, similar position-related issues), as long as you use stylesheets and firefox displays it correct, 99% of the times IE displays it correctly as well. However, the other way around is true in a much lesser extent. Of course, if you (once again) are a decent webdeveloper, you shouldn't hit these problems. However, if you are still a bit uncertain of your abilities, please heed my word and start in Firefox. It might be a bit harder to start with, but most of the time it looks good in IE, where it isn't like that the other way around.

So far from the Bitwizard...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Gemberkoek wrote:Firefox uses "strict"(-er) HTML rules.

IE uses less strict rules.

In general, if firefox displays it correct, IE should display it correct.

The only time (i have noticed) it isn't correct, is when you use align=center or align=right, and a positioning after that. So a good web developer doesn't use that. Apart from that (and some other, similar position-related issues), as long as you use stylesheets and firefox displays it correct, 99% of the times IE displays it correctly as well. However, the other way around is true in a much lesser extent. Of course, if you (once again) are a decent webdeveloper, you shouldn't hit these problems. However, if you are still a bit uncertain of your abilities, please heed my word and start in Firefox. It might be a bit harder to start with, but most of the time it looks good in IE, where it isn't like that the other way around.
The issue is not using less strict rules, the issue is IE being buggy abandonware. It's been over 5 years since they released IE6 and IE7 won't even fix several of the glaring bugs in the browser. I don't know how much time you've spent designing webpages but I think between the anidb staff we have quite a lot of profession experience in the area.

Not having to support IE is a good thing. Maybe IE7 will be considered but until then, fu IE.