Uncorrupted Files Verification Option [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

shuurajou

Uncorrupted Files Verification Option [DONE]

Post by shuurajou »

I think it would be a great idea, to see if the files we're trying to get are SFV checked against the ORIGINALS & are as uncorrupted as they can be.

I originally thought we should just remove corrupted files, since I don't see any point in spreading corrupted files more than they already are. I'm a perfectionist, what I can I say. I don't like to get a file which is corrupted, when there's a nice one out there available ;).

But, I think something that would work best is maybe a box to tick when you add a file (or edit one) to say if it IS a verified original without any corruptions (that weren't there in the first place at least, even originals aren't perfect sometimes though).

That's just the foundations of my idea for now, I know this seemed to get some people angry in IRC & said it was bullshit, don't know why though, just an idea I was trying to share.

PS> Some power tripping half-op's are driving me mad. Some are talking down to people like they make the rules and are in charge of the AR room just because of a damn % symbol. I mean, some of them I don't even KNOW and I've been here since QuakeNet and before AR's first release lol. Not all the ppl are like that, but I've seen it happen and I find it just REALLY sad...
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Good idea :)

Little addition: Maybe one should allow marking files as being "checked" only if you add a CRC (and/or Md5, but even SpA - the only group I know of atm that provides md5-hashes - gives CRCs in the topic aswell)
shuurajou

Post by shuurajou »

Yeah, CRC, md5-hash or SFV. All good :).
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

implemented

BYe!
EXP
shuurajou

Post by shuurajou »

Great to hear your giving it a go exp, really appreciate it. Just one question, how do I make use of this to test it? ^_^ I can't see it >_<.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

there is a new checkbox on file add/edit/change request.
if it is checked the crc sum will be part of the ed2k link of the file.
that means for now you could check the ed2k link names of two files seemingly identical files to see if one of them is crc checked.

i will add some flashy little icon some day, but i need someone to create those.

BYe!
EXP
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Re: Uncorrupted Files Verification Option [TESTING]

Post by Gambit »

shuurajou wrote: ... (otherwise this post will be too long)
Hey, I never said your idea was bullshit, you were just trying to push your idea of not-crc checked files getting deleted out the db, and that`s definitely not an option imo. You just didn`t get that and that`s why you made StopD and me angry. And indeed, I said deleting those corrupted files from the db is a bullshit idea. Why? See below.

You wanted to delete the files which didn`t match the crc, and since not all 'corrupted' files are badly corrupted, a lot of people won`t notice the small corruptions (a little block in the subs isn`t a reason for 99% of the people to download the correct file), but those won`t match the crc.
And when nobody shares the correct crc, but someone added it to the db, burned it on cd, and then unshares it, it doesn`t really make sense to delete the wellspread corrupted file, if the corruption is hardly visible. That only means there`ll be a correct file in the db here where you can`t find sources for, while there`s an almost-correct file spreaded widely out there which isn`t listed in the db.
Next thing is: the MyLists would be altered when you delete the files from the db, and people won`t be able to use the MyList to archive all their files anymore since the files are deleted, even though they`ve added it themselves.

But the way you suggest the option here definitely has my support. :)

PS: If you think you have a problem with my behaviour at irc, just tell me. But the fact that you can`t handle some discussion when 2 people tell your idea is bullshit, isn`t any reason to say we`re power-abusing halfops who`re looking down on non-(half)ops. That`s just trying to make us look bad, and I don`t like that. StopD and I have proven to be respected (or at least appreciated - who`d respect me anyway :lol: ) people in the channel/forum, and that`s why we got halfops (I guess).
And if you don`t know us, you never visited the channel/forum, since we`re quite around often and everyone knows us ;) I just don`t like it when you try to make us look bad here, while all we did was discuss.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

And now for something completely different 8)
What about an option to mark files being corrupted?
Maybe two of them: "CRC mismatch" for those files which play fine but don't match the original CRC... one might add a (very small) patch file for these later on :D :D
(example: Galaxy Angel 12(?) by mh as posted by D_R)

"Severely corrupted" - for those links that point to shitty files, just for people to know which files not to download (in case of the one corrupted AMS-Movie for example) or which files to re-download (when you already have them, given a corruption is not noticed until a bunch of people already have it)

Those files would need extra colors (red? ;)) and tags in capital letters of course - and a way to show up in mylist (red color again, or maybe a "my unchecked/damaged files"-listing)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm, an option "file plays ok but wrong crc" or something like that might in deed be usefull, i'll add that to the todo list.

"Severely corrupted" <-- that is already implemented, there is a "corrupted" entry @ quality dropdown.
it's ment to be used if a file is heavyly corrupted.

well about the colors and icons, i'll implement that some day, but i'd need those nice icons first :P

BYe!
EXP
shuurajou

Post by shuurajou »

Gambit wrote:Hey, I never said your idea was bullshit, you were just trying to push your idea of not-crc checked files getting deleted out the db, and that`s definitely not an option imo. You just didn`t get that and that`s why you made StopD and me angry. And indeed, I said deleting those corrupted files from the db is a bullshit idea.
My original idea was to just get rid of links to corrupt files so correct files would spread best. I personally don't see any point in getting corrupted files (I'm talking with even a few seconds of corruption), so naturally my first generation of my idea was ruthless. But I never thought that episodes would HAVE to be removed from people's MyList's.

I thought maybe you could just say weather or not it was corrupted, it would stay in your MyList but removed from the main encyclopedia of files to prevent further spreading.

But your right, people would have it in their MyList, and maybe ones with a little disorted square block over a subtitle would be standed as corrupted, but MUCH more well spread than the perfect file (but I don't think ANY encode is perfect). Why I thought of just having an option there instead.
Gambit wrote: Next thing is: the MyLists would be altered when you delete the files from the db, and people won`t be able to use the MyList to archive all their files anymore since the files are deleted, even though they`ve added it themselves.
I was thinking more along the lines of dislocating the corrupt files from the main encyclopedia but leaving them in MyList's, I probably never said that though because I just went into the second idea :).
Gambit wrote: But the way you suggest the option here definitely has my support. :)
Good Good!

Gambit wrote: PS: If you think you have a problem with my behaviour at irc, just tell me. But the fact that you can`t handle some discussion when 2 people tell your idea is bullshit, isn`t any reason to say we`re power-abusing halfops who`re looking down on non-(half)ops. That`s just trying to make us look bad, and I don`t like that. StopD and I have proven to be respected (or at least appreciated - who`d respect me anyway :lol: ) people in the channel/forum, and that`s why we got halfops (I guess).
And if you don`t know us, you never visited the channel/forum, since we`re quite around often and everyone knows us ;) I just don`t like it when you try to make us look bad here, while all we did was discuss
I don't think you have a problem with your behaviour in irc. I can handle other peoples opinions and I didn't take any offense to anything you or StopD said (even though I did feel like I shouldn't have bothered trying to mention the idea when the word 'bullshit' came about), I appreciate people giving feedback and debating on the idea. None of you two were abusing your half-op's either.

I know who both of you are, and I know your both recognized members of the AR community. I've been here since AR was started on QuakeNet (I think I used the name GeNo then though) so I'd like to think I've seen people come and go & participated in the community a bit too, I wouldn't waste my time encoding for AR if I didn't like the community.

That entire PS statement was never aimed at you two, I just didn't want to mention any names. It was aimed at someone who threatened to ban me (they weren't even a part of the conversation to begin with) if I didn't shut up and talk in the anidb room. I believe the exact words were "shuurajou shut up & talk in the anidb room, end of story, or face ban". Now if that isn't talking down to someone and acting like you make the rules for the channel, I'm chiyo-chan. I found it really offensive someone could be so abusive so quickly on such a little thing to someone who has been here since the start, when I never even said anything offensive throughout the entire conversation. But like I said, I'm not going to name any names, you either saw it happen or you didn't.

Now maybe true it would be 'offically' correct to talk about it in the anidb room, but I wanted the opinion of the AR community as a whole. Not just the sparse amount of people that idle in the anidb room. Plus, I didn't even know that the anidb room migrated to aniverse also.

Can I just say I never intended to offend anyone, or get anyone angry when I aired my idea to the AR channel, I just wanted the opinion and feedback of the AR community (not just the few people in the anidb channel).
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Okay, at least we know now that all we did was talking with the wrong words about the same thing :) Damn - such a crappy conversation :lol:
Gambit wrote: The PS- stuff
Ah, that stuff. Well, I know who you mean, and he was just kinda fed up with the vast amount of discussion about non-anime (at least not directly related) which kinda turned out in a flamewar. You can say something about pro`s and cons of his behaviour, but usually he`s quite the easygoing guy ;) Bad day, I guess.
In any case ... neither of us have anything to say about the flags, so we don`t know who decides who gets certain flags - like aranaxon said already ("Who are these people with flags?") :)
Organisation isn`t completely done, I guess.

In any case, to get back on topic - I think the idea to add flags (with a red color and such) to indicate the file is corrupted (or at least an indication of corruption) is an excellent idea. Keep going with that :D
Cool idea.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

it's now possible to select 3 different crc check states.
- crc not checked
- crc matches official crc
- crc does NOT match official crc

file entries on the anime page are colored according to those settings.

plz play a bit with those.

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

I think the colours (green/red) are too extreme, especially the "damaged"-color should be adjusted to fit to the background- and link-colors.
I added a "corrupted" file to the test-entry for you to see it yourself:
http://www.anidb.net/cgi-bin/animedb.pl ... xpandall=1
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

feel free to post html hex color codes of better matching colors here!

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

:P

What about #6fc279 for the green one and #bf6269 for the red one? They're just altered versions of the bg-color, so they look rather greyish when compared to the 3/b-ones, but at least they don't poke me in my eyes... ;)

Wrong background, but anyway:
Original GREEN -> Altered GREEN
Original RED -> Altered RED

Merii Kurisumasu :D