As much as rating is an simple opinion:

talk about your favorite anime here

Moderator: AniDB

dooly00000

As much as rating is an simple opinion:

Post by dooly00000 »

I decided to talk to chopper87 (161844) regarding way he grades my reviews. Obiously, he's just doing them to get on my nerves.

I messaged him regarding and this is his reply:
Feel free to message the mods and provide them a laugh. You could just as well add this message to whichever comments I wrote, since I`m being obviously a dick looking down on some idiots who can`t even write a review for their life.

This message was sponsored by a tired and lazy me who couldn`t think of any proper and witty comment.

Obiously, it's not that I suck at biting people without flaming. I just feel that people like this does not belong in AniDB. Consider me a bit of drama whore. I am just sick of people like this any forum or site I goto.

When people graded my FMA, I utterly respected how they pointed out how my ratings are not exactly well-put in grammatical manner and such. Saying I'm bitching is another matter, (pardon my language), and I am not going to stick around and hear that from person who don't even have any Anime on his damn database list.

Your opinion on ratings people do?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Who cares, 34 reviews for an anime, and yours is average as much (I would say is poor).
You don't like the way he answered your PM, you shouldn't have PMed him then.
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

You didn't like the show and your review was pretty negative, which is fine, and I agree with some of your points. Your writing "style" is terrible, however. I get the feeling that you're not a native English speaker. You may want to work on your understanding before you write another review, or have a friend look it over before posting it. Writing is a learning process, and part of that process is to deal with unpleasant and harsh criticism.

With regards to chopper, he's abrasive, sure. He tells me that I don't get things and that I don't understand the meaning of this or that. Regardless, he's one of my favorite people to get commentary from, because he's not stupid and because he doesn't shy away from telling you off. Plus he's fairly insane and agrees with me that Ayu in Ultra Maniac is hot. Instant winner.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

First suggestion: Don`t discuss things with chopper.

He writes similar comments to everyone and seeing how he rated 200 reviews on his first rating-day, don`t think you`re the only one. The comments are nearly always offensive, but that`s how things go with chopper.

I agree with the squirrel though, he`s not stupid and he`s insane. If he really (dis)likes parts, he comments on them - and often harshly. But his ratings are usually pretty much as fair as possible.

So, second suggestion: If you get a poor rating from chopper, take a good look at your review and inprove it. He may not give useful comments, but that probably just means that he didn`t consider them worth giving. And again, usually he`s right.
Cyrano423

Post by Cyrano423 »

Gambit wrote:First suggestion: Don`t discuss things with chopper.

He writes similar comments to everyone and seeing how he rated 200 reviews on his first rating-day, don`t think you`re the only one. The comments are nearly always offensive, but that`s how things go with chopper.
lmfaooo@200 ... wow, even if that wasn't literal I have a feeling it was around that anyway. That's a hell of a lot of reading and critiquing. Makes me wonder if he ever liked someone's review.

On my first review he gave me a 1 ... but he didn't say anything negative, unless him quoting me and doctoring a word, was sarcasm (probably was, lol). Though the fact that he didn't completely tear into me ... is a good thing I guess.

People shouldn't get so touchy when someone dislikes what they have to say.
kouta

Post by kouta »

i might sound stupid but, if you wrote what you think is right then thats it. people can be negative, hard. thats the way they see things. i dont care much about it, if anyone find my reviews bad,suck, or what ever they think (i really didnt do much reviews)[don't get the wrong idea here] thats there problem, thats me . simple. but again i might be selfish.

small advice: dont let it get on your nerves, people gain experience with time and its all an opnion. [i might be wors than you, lol]
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

albinosqrl wrote:Your writing "style" is terrible, however. I get the feeling that you're not a native English speaker. You may want to work on your understanding before you write another review, or have a friend look it over before posting it. Writing is a learning process, and part of that process is to deal with unpleasant and harsh criticism.
Thanks, I'm still working on that.
Well, technically, I did start by reply, but he had no right to give such bs rating.
So, second suggestion: If you get a poor rating from chopper, take a good look at your review and inprove it. He may not give useful comments, but that probably just means that he didn't consider them worth giving. And again, usually he`s right.
I found it neither in both cases of his rating but ok. I'll see how it goes.
Cyrano423 wrote:People shouldn't get so touchy when someone dislikes what they have to say.
Um... Tell him that.
kouta wrote:small advice: dont let it get on your nerves, people gain experience with time and its all an opnion. [i might be wors than you, lol]
Actually, that's just the crap, you know? Random shouting and all cap is nothing but wasted webspace. (My personal opinion)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

dooly00000 wrote:
Well, technically, I did start by reply, but he had no right to give such bs rating.
Don`t reply to him ;) And he has the right, everyone has that right.
dooly00000 wrote:
So, second suggestion: If you get a poor rating from chopper, take a good look at your review and inprove it. He may not give useful comments, but that probably just means that he didn't consider them worth giving. And again, usually he`s right.
I found it neither in both cases of his rating but ok. I'll see how it goes.
Which review are you talking about though? Because honestly, your Touhai Densetsu Akagi review was written after 5 episodes :roll: I would`ve given you a low rating as well. I don`t consider that a review, and it seems chopper shares my opinion. Your review is also only barely decent, seeing you tell the story up till then - which I consider spoilers - and despite your explanation of the Mahjong-mentality, I don`t consider your review very helpful in determining how the anime is. I think the other review is more helpful, but that one has also been posted before the anime finished, so he probably wouldn`t have gotten a really good mark from me either.

Your Dooly-review sounds like you`re a real fan of Korean animations. You give lots of info (although more sidenotes than actual info about the anime itself) but this one suffices more than the Mahjong one. I would`ve given you an 8 for this, but due to your continuous Korean-aimed speech (can you also write a paragraph without mentioning Koreans?) I degraded it to a 6. It`s a not-so-bad review, but you give a lot of info about where, when and why it was aired and well-received, but not that much about how the anime is. You also contradict yourself sometimes (most respected character, koreans hate the character - #1 animation, but now looks bad, so voting an 8) and I really don`t think we should get any info about who the company ran and what happened to the employees there. All this together drag the rating down, so comparing my votes to others who voted for your review, I don`t think they`re so much off, really.

You do get better in English over time though. Your dooly review was a LOT better than your Akagi-review.
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

Gambit wrote:You do get better in English over time though. Your dooly review was a LOT better than your Akagi-review.
It's about FMA one. He gave ONE. And there's no useful info on it except clean cap typed that reads "WHERE ARE REVIEWS".
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

There's a little review in your review, but I had trouble finding it. A guy who feels the need to rate a few hundred reviews daily certainly doesn't have that time. (Also... "Harigan"? If you have time to write a few hundred words on an anime, you should have the time to check your facts. That's a hint that there are some other severe errors in there, btw.)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Oh, your FMA one? May I indicate that I also have voted a 1 for that review, long before? ;) Although mine came with an explanation, chopper said it in only a few words, but basically it says the same as my comment.

I quote:
Gambit`s review wrote:It`s a fantasy-show and they used aspects in a world which doesn`t follow our physics, so I don`t see your criticism, except that you expected a realistic story based on actual facts and got a fantasy show instead. I can see how that influenced your enjoyment but that`s no reason to be hateful in your review. You also don`t really back up your ratings much, except for the sound and the animation, but you never really point out exactly WHAT is wrong with it except that it didn`t match your expectations. This alone would make me give you a 3 (needs some revision) because it certainly has some potential in it.
But criticism because of the name they used? That`s the most rediculous criticism I have ever heard, really. Only because of that I pull your rating down to a 1. If you based your expectations on the name and then get annoyed because it uses the name in a free way, then I don`t think that`s of any use in a review. Sorry.
So yeah, you bitched a lot about how it didn`t match your expectations, and you even managed to be disappointed about the title, so you bitch about that too. I don`t mind bitching. I do it too, but at least come up with some decent criticism. And don`t forget that next to the bitching, you should also write that review. So yeah, I can understand what chopper means when he says "Where is the review?"

ps: I noticed you also said Not to mention that characters` dramatic sequence and actual comedy was not very evenly distributed throughout the anime. so you said something about the story-building too. I forgot to mention that in my comment, sorry. If you want your 3 back, I can upgrade it for you.
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

That's your choice, Gambit. I just don't want 1 without sufficient explaination, that is all.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

If you don't like criticism, yes even that short one, you might better review in your own web site without any option for feedback.
I don't see people complaining about short comments in their 8/10 votes... that shows something. -_-;
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

I do think we might need somone to go around and check if review votes are reasonable, tho. Just another one of my personal opinion.
tleilax

Post by tleilax »

This chopper person seems like an interesting guy. I read this thread and the other one that mentions him and then I checked my 2 reviews and sure enough he rated one of them too. :)