Support for emulecollections [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Devil Doll

Support for emulecollections [DENIED]

Post by Devil Doll »

The brand-new eMule 0.46b supports "emule collection" files, i. e. small files (limited to 10 kB) with the extension ".emulecollection" that contain a list of ed2k file hashes and are automatically transferred with top priority.

It would be neat to enable the aniDB data model as to support these collections as well. This would make selecting a complete set of related files via their list of ed2k file hashes a lot more comfortable.

An emulecollection would thus be an attribute of a group release of an anime; it should only be possible to contribute one collection per anime&group, and only if the group release has a state not equal to "ongoing". The display of the group releases of an anime would be extended by another column, showing the Image icon and pointing to the ed2k URL of the emule collection.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Why contribute them and all and not generate them instead?
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

As far as I know AniDB does not support downloads.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

And I would like to be kept like that...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

this request does not match with the goals and the purpose of anidb.
sorry, do not expect to see something like this implemented, ever.

BYe!
EXP
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

Skywalka wrote:As far as I know AniDB does not support downloads.
Then I just wonder what exactly those green icons with the "ed2k://" links are meant for... :oops:
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Devil Doll wrote:
Skywalka wrote:As far as I know AniDB does not support downloads.
Then I just wonder what exactly those green icons with the "ed2k://" links are meant for... :oops:
It's a URI designed for an ed2k hash (which is a type of md4 hash) and file size. I can understand that the icon could be considered confusing, however; perhaps we should change it?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

It's quite dificult to make something representative of a hash url. :/

Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

I mean, if you want to provide the file hash as a component of the data structure (as to match ed2kdump'ed files) you wouldn't need an icon that allows you to start the corresponding download in eMule with one click.

If you claim to not support downloading you might as well eliminate the icon completely, as the information would still be available in the file attributes display. In this case I wouldn't have posted my FR...
rowaasr13 wrote:Why contribute them and all and not generate them instead?
I thought about this as well, but contributing them would allow to handle situations when some group just continued an abandoned project, i. e. the contributer could provide a collection with a complete episode set according to his/her opinion. (I'm aware that this might mean ambiguity which isn't a good thing, yet there might be rules to handle such situations; for example, look at Chobits where there is only one german fansub for each file of the whole series, provided by two groups (M2-Animesubs-german and Project Chobits) - that's a situation the aniDB software might be able to automatically detect and handle...)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

*pic updated*

BYe!
EXP
PacoBell

Post by PacoBell »

I hope y'all don't mind, but I feel it's necessary to revisit this topic once again. I wasn't around when Devil Doll brought up the subject, but I do believe he missed an important benefit of emulecollection files: They compactly organize a list of ed2k hashes around a common theme (i.e. subbing group). Think of it this way, instead of using some sort of complex PHP scriptfoo to read ed2k hashes, you can simply post a link to the associated emulecollection file. You can even digitally sign the emulecollection in the binary form if you feel the ed2k hash isn't secure enough. Furthermore, you wouldn't even have to host the file. It would simply be another hash, just like the rest of AniDB. And the format is completely open, so you could even automagically generate emulecollections for complete series from certain subbing groups. I agree that this isn't about supporting downloading. What this is about, however, is making it more flexible and efficient for the users of this resource to export data en masse. I, for one, know how much I loathe clicking each edlink manually. Repetetive tasks should be the domain of machines. My man-hours are precious to me and I hope the lot o' ya concur.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Anime Page -> (bottom) Export ED2K Hashes -> (top) hide fileinfo -> Just copy the info from the group you need with the old copy & paste.
PacoBell

Post by PacoBell »

Yipee! ^_^