Korean Translations/companies/etc:

Please use the "notify mod" feature for minor things. Only major things which need discussion should get posted in the forum

Moderator: AniDB

dooly00000

Korean Translations/companies/etc:

Post by dooly00000 »

Due to someone's request for me to go over Korean, I am currently Checking over many of them. I have set few of them's flag as "requested" but many needs more revising.
This is because system of romanijation was screwed up when it was invented first time around in 1950s. My goodness... Korean Jamo system does not work like other East Asian language.

Because of nowdays, open floodgate of Korean Anime, aka Manhwa, I suggest we also have section on title for "Official Title (Korean, Hangul)".

Shin Angyo Onshi
This is correct in Romanji term. However, Korean reading is more closely readed as "Shin Amhayngusha" (Am-hayng-u-sha)

Beautiful Days
This is right. Leave it along.

Doggy Poo
"Kang Aji Ttong" is, while not wrong, but on the actual pronunciation term, it is quite rough. I have suggested more of "Kangaji Ddong".
-btw what you guys have it there as Japanese Romanji is not Japanese, I hope you guys know...

Hammerboy
-Another "not Japanese Romanji" one.
No other problems tho.

Dae Jang Geum - Janggeum`s Dream
I guess Korean company doing romanization isn't bad... Nothing to go over.
-Dae means "Big", "Large" or "Great".

My Beautiful Girl, Mari
I really don't know why many Koreans like name form Mari... :| Alot of Manhwa uses this name. (Mary, Mari, Maria...)
Mari Iyagi works pretty well, but to tell you guys, pronunciation code is "Ie" not "I" for I part. Iyagi means "Story", so it would mean "Story about Mari". (In Korean, sometimes, verb is believed to have adjective sided, or vice versa, just like English.) <- because of this, title can also be readed as "Mari Story"

Fruits Basket
OMG Who Added Korean?

Olympus Guardian
Nothing to go over here... Nope.

Oseam
same for here.

Did Not Went Over Yet list:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... e&aid=1340
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... e&aid=2589

BTW, Korean broadcaster/comapnies are: (Search 'em in Wiki if you need help)
Tooniverse
KBS
SBS
MBC
Out of them, KBS does most anime working (financing/publishing/broadcasting/copyrighting), while SBS does mostly copyrighting of imported animes, like Crayon Shin-chan.

Most famous Korean animation studios are:
Doolynara (Su-jung Kim's studio; creator of Baby Dinosaur Dooly)
damn I can't think of any more.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Thanks for looking into this for me.

A correct 'field' for languages other than Japanese can probably wait till the title system gets redone, the right place to put original non-japanese titles till then is the 'Other' field. However the main name is best as an ascii-only transcription of the original title - even though it says "romaji" in the form, it's more just "romanised title". As we're talking a very small percent of entries that are Korean/Chinese/Russian/etc in origin rather than Japanese, it's not really the end of the world for the interim.

A few questions about your suggestions. What system are you using for transcription? This one? Exactness of phonology matters less than systematic consistancy for anidb purposes, and the kind of ad-hoc thing that most producers use isn't great for the main title. Also, how are you determining that the ones already in roman/japanese romaji are alright? Eg, http://anidb.info/a1022 it titled something like:

원더풀 데이즈
        Wonderful
          Days

This begs the old question of whether it's a given reading, a translation, or a subtitle. In conversation, would you say "원더풀 데이즈", or "원더풀 데이즈 Wonderful Days", or "Wonderful Days"?

So, to clarify, what I want is rough "how you say it" in roman for the main titles of korean-originated animation, done in some standardised way.

Rar
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

"Wonderful Days" is the given reading of 원더풀 데이즈 . The title's practically English written in Hangul.

(Disclaimer: I don't know any Korean, but I looked this one up some time ago)
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

Yes, Rar, My system is somewhat of that one. Only difference is that I still use more of K for ㄱ and mine is more strict-pronunciation based.
tun

Post by tun »

I was asked by Rar to give my 2 cents here as well. First, let me start off by saying that Korean does NOT romanize easily into english. Any kind of romanization system is always going to have flaws and criticisms about it. I personally try to romanize it in terms of exactness of phonology but I guess that's not necessarily good for anidb purposes like you said. I differ with dooly on the ㄱ as I tend to use G instead of K for romanizing it. The only bad part is that you run into problems with names, because typical Korean last names like Kim or Kang are actually pronounced more similarly to Gim and Gang.

As for the Wonderful Days, the hangul is basically how you would write Wonderful Days in katakana. It's not a translation or anything.

And on the Dae Jang Geum one, you have to split up Janggeum into Jang Geum. It's her name after all. It's even split up in the Dae Jang Geum part, so I don't understand why the second part isn't split up in separate syllables like it's supposed to be.
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

tun wrote:And on the Dae Jang Geum one, you have to split up Janggeum into Jang Geum. It's her name after all. It's even split up in the Dae Jang Geum part, so I don't understand why the second part isn't split up in separate syllables like it's supposed to be.
Technically, you can say it as Dae Jang-Geum or Dae Jang Geum. Since name-based romanization is rather screwy, I sort of follow whatever. But first name can be either split-up or dashed in-between syllabals, which the latter is rarely done, but quite frequently in short names. And in technical term, the dashing is more correct, since second syllable in the first name is not a middle name, which gets frequently misunderstood as.

For example, my Korean name is Kyong-Ho. It can be Kyong Ho, but H is not exactly my middlename innitial, so it is more accurate and correct when written as Kyong-Ho, rather then having space between first name syllables.
I'll tell you why spacing is awkard if anybody still wants to argue, because some people have three syllable (or more) for their first name (quite rare, but it is done), and two-syllabled last name (Like Shoun-oo (선우)).
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

My point for this one is that the title is 장금이의 꿈 (with some hanja too on the right?), which is clearly not *transcribed* (unlike perhaps wonderful days) as Dae Jang Geum - Janggeum`s Dream, that's a pseudotranslation.
For the main title we want jang guem iui whatever you can agree on, in some kind of systematic and non-ad hoc manner. It's not meant to be perfect, just useful for westerners.

Rar

[Edit: Okay, found a resonable pic (damn flash websites), 大長今 which taking as dae jang geum should be alright, so I guess we're reading from the right and can treat it as a surtitle of sorts... or an alternative writing of the hangul, or whatever]
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

Rar wrote:My point for this one is that the title is 장금이의 꿈 (with some hanja too on the right?), which is clearly not *transcribed* (unlike perhaps wonderful days) as Dae Jang Geum - Janggeum`s Dream, that's a pseudotranslation.
For the main title we want jang guem iui whatever you can agree on, in some kind of systematic and non-ad hoc manner. It's not meant to be perfect, just useful for westerners.

Rar

[Edit: Okay, found a resonable pic (damn flash websites), 大長今 which taking as dae jang geum should be alright, so I guess we're reading from the right and can treat it as a surtitle of sorts... or an alternative writing of the hangul, or whatever]
yes, it is Dae Jang Geum, and you read it left to right.