Review griefing

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

brd529

Post by brd529 »

The chance was just too good to let it go. :twisted:

I wonder what the devs will say to this. Do we have some space left for the flamewars?
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

I, myself, am against flaming, it's rude and unnecessary. :!:
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Insulting elfen lied isn't flaming, it's just being honest. Which is encouraged, especially in support.

I did actually have a useful post to make in this thread, but I got distracted, so, I think I'll make it elsewhere.

Rar
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Ugh... I didn't refer to insulting Elfen Lied as flaming (though I was involved in a flaming conflict that concerned the subject of Elfen Lied).
brd529

Post by brd529 »

Trilandian wrote:I, myself, am against flaming, it's rude and unnecessary. :!:
Me too. I absolutely hate it. Poisons the air like a fart. I do believe most decent beings will quit the discussion once the flaming starts, leaving the courtyard to the bullies.

The concept of the review discussions should reflect this too. Otherwise this is going to get very emotional and erratic, because most of the time one will be discussing personal opinions.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

How very true, I agree wholeheartedly!
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Wah.
A topic about reviews. That`s my kind of stuff :D

Someone downrating all your reviews is annoying. You can just report it to a mod and he`ll see if there`s a reason for that person doing that. Of course, if all your reviews are bad or based on 4-5 episodes, you can count on it that no mod will actually contact that person to tell him off. Instead, he`ll ask everyone to downrate yours :P

I don`t really approve of comments being published though. It will only make people comment on each other instead of the review, sprouting flames and discussions instead in review-comments. And why do we want that? Examples? Check the Fansub-comments.

@brd529 I don`t think you need a community to 'rate' a review. You can do that yourself and the reviewer will be able to see what you think of it. If you do it publicly you will only invoke the wrath of the reviewer if you start questioning in public what he writes. A review is personal stuff. You give your opinion in a review and someone else tells you what (s)he thought was good/bad about your review.
I told people they shouldn`t use that spoiler, but they decided to keep it in because they didn`t believe it was necessary to remove. Personal opinion, you know. I can`t force them. I can only point out my opinion about what they have written. That`s why I don`t think it`s necessary to do this in public.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Gambit wrote:Of course, if all your reviews are bad or based on 4-5 episodes, you can count on it that no mod will actually contact that person to tell him off. Instead, he`ll ask everyone to downrate yours :P
Damn straight! Just the other day I saw this review where the reviewer actually said in the introduction that he only watched the first 4 episodes! So, when I gave him his comment, I told the jackass that just like he only watched the first 4 episodes, I only read his first paragraph. :twisted:
Gambit wrote:If you do it publicly you will only invoke the wrath of the reviewer if you start questioning in public what he writes. A review is personal stuff. You give your opinion in a review and someone else tells you what (s)he thought was good/bad about your review.
You have an interesting point there, I haven't really thought about that. :o
Last edited by Trilandian on Fri May 12, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Trilandian wrote:
Gambit wrote:If you do it publicly you will only invoke the wrath of the reviewer if you start questioning in public what he writes. A review is personal stuff. You give your opinion in a review and someone else tells you what (s)he thought was good/bad about your review.
You have an interesting point there, I haven't really thought about that. :o
Well, if you believe you need to let a whole community judge a review, wouldn`t it be better to do it beforehand, so you have 1 review which reflects the majority of the opinions of all?
I think you`d better start a website then and put for each anime exactly 1 review up. Which is not a bad idea by itself, but that`s not how AniDB works.

As long as you accept reviews from everyone (like AniDB does) you can agree or disagree, but fact is that they`re still there. If you agree, good for you. If you disagree, too bad, man. But everyone`s entitled to have his or her own opinion and when you put up a review, you show your opinion. And others may comment on that. But discussing an opinion? Isn`t that sheer silly?

Example 1
Guy A and Guy B discuss why Guy C likes chocolate. Guy A and Guy B both believe he shouldn`t be liking chocolate. Now why would Guy C be in any way concerned about that? It`s his taste, his opinion. But hey, Guy A and Guy B agree. So it is logical. So the conversation goes like this.
Guy A & B to Guy C: You shouldn`t be liking chocolate because <insert reasoning they came up with after days of discussions>.
Guy C: ... wtf?

It would be different when it goes like this:

Example 2
Guy A tells Guy C what`s in the chocolate and that`s why he doesn`t like it. Guy C says he doesn`t mind those ingredients.
Guy B tells Guy B he dislikes chocolate because it makes him fat. Guy C says that it doesn`t have that effect on him.

You get the feeling?
Trilandian wrote:Damn straight! Just the other day I saw this review where the reviewer actually said in the introduction that he only watched the first 4 episodes! So, when I gave him his comment, I told the jackass that just like he only watched the first 4 episodes, I only read his first paragraph.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

I think people are starting to miss the point. The idea is not to discuss the review but the review's ratings.

Example:
Guy A posts a review.
Guy B tells Guy A his review sucks because...
Guy C tells Guy B he's wrong and Guy A's review is good because...

See, this way it becomes possible to criticize the voters and thus put an end to unnecessary flaming and unfair down/up voting.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

How that would stop the flaming? In any case it will increase it as Gambit said. So no, nobody is missing the point.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

It will help reduce the flaming because people who flame probably don't want their actions to be made public. If anyone can see what you wrote then you'll be more careful about what you write, wouldn't you agree?
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I agree. That`s why I usually behave too ;)

But you miss the point here yourself. People who flame have the intention to drag others into their flame. The more people get into it, the more fun they have. So if you show those flames, others will start bashing him, flaming him, whatever - which is all beside the point of having the comment there. It is about the review, not about discussing what Guy B thinks about Guy A`s review.
Not to mention it`s only a comment. You cannot even reply to the comment on your comment on his comment. It`s a comment, fer chrissake, not a discussion panel. And that would be even worse.

If nobody can see your flame, why should you flame? It`d be a waste of time since nobody will react to it.
As a mod (yeah, I still am a mod, though retired) I sometimes check random comments to see if there are any bad ones among them. So far I haven`t seen any cursing, flaming or whatever. The worst ones are the 'Your review didn`t do anything for me' and that`s it.
Well, okay. We know that then. Move along, nothing to see.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I still remember some comment wars in the group comments. I don't think you will reduce them by opening such discussions unless you want to give more work to mods so they have to check comments over comments over comments.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Ok Gambit, I see what you're getting at. So, any suggestions on how to reduce flaming and/or unfair voting?