Review griefing

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

samiloop

Review griefing

Post by samiloop »

After writing a review I had a response telling me in so many words to get rid of it and how stupid I am for writing it. Then we exchanged a few PMs about the subject at hand, which then resulted in the person going through my past reviews and scoring them systematically low, seemingly on purpose as they were long-since accepted reviews that didn't incur such responses any time earlier. I don't honestly care of the scores or anything of the sort, but I have problems with the ease of execution with this kind of behavior and how it was used in retaliation as soon as argumentative methods were met with resistance.

What kind of opinions does this give to the people here?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Low-vote-don't-review-after-3-eps-comment seems fair to me (I presume the Nana one was the start?). So fair, I'll do it too.

Anyway, too-much-critisism all at once is probably to be discouraged by review commenters, but, 's not exactly the end of the world, is it? I'll send the guy a message.

Rar
samiloop

Post by samiloop »

I fear you have misunderstood the purpose of the previous posting. While a Wiki-type editorial environment opens up possibilities for unmeasurable advancement in content amount, it doesn't come off free. After running to the first setback this route gives space to, I've become curious if there's a general consensus for staying on this unmoderated path of building content.

Edit: Not to say I wasn't miffed (or plain pissed off) about the mentioned subject at hand :p
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

<I'm not sure I fully understand the debated subject so correct me if I'm confused>

You know, this really pisses me off! The aniDB allows millions od websurfers to view and share information about anime, vote for animes and review them. But some people abuse this and flame people for no good reason. From what I understood from the first posting, the flamer disagreed with your opinion and decided to flame you, not only in that speciffic review but also in your other reviews. This angers me to no end! If a person cannot post an objective vote, he shouldn't vote at all!
lamer_de

Post by lamer_de »

But some people abuse this and flame people for no good reason. From what I understood from the first posting, the flamer disagreed with your opinion and decided to flame you, not only in that speciffic review but also in your other reviews. This angers me to no end! If a person cannot post an objective vote, he shouldn't vote at all!
I'm pretty sure you understood it right. But just like people up- or downvote groups or anime, they also do it with reviews. The whole point of anidb is that it's a user-driven database and not a website with editorial content. This isn't going to change just because threre are some dorks that misuse the system.
I fear you have misunderstood the purpose of the previous posting. While a Wiki-type editorial environment opens up possibilities for unmeasurable advancement in content amount, it doesn't come off free. After running to the first setback this route gives space to, I've become curious if there's a general consensus for staying on this unmoderated path of building content.
I'm pretty sure comments, votes and all that will do stay unmoderated, simply because a) it would be too much work for the mods to do and b) the mods don't care. While it may be discouraging to see your reviews getting hatevotes, notifying a mod seems be your best bet atm. But then, as rar wrote already, it's not the end of the world.

I also agree with rar that reviewing anime after 2-5 episodes is utterly stupid and deserves downvoting, even if the content of the review is pretty good (like your Akagi review for example) 8)

CU,
lamer_de
brd529

Post by brd529 »

Perhaps it wold be a good idea to make the review votes and comments visible to the community. So the commentators would have to stand up straight for what they write, just like the reviewers have to.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

You know, that ain't half bad!
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Let's just spread the war!
Just remove comments and reviews altogether and there will be no more problems.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Wowowowowow!! Don't get ahead of yourself here! If we seek to improve these features, it clearly means that we think they're useful and we want them to remain!
brd529

Post by brd529 »

I would NEVER want to miss the reviews. Instead, I would ike to see this part of anidb be VERY MUCH extended, because in my opinion this could be one of the greater benefits. Not as it is now, of course. But could be.
samiloop

Post by samiloop »

I have to admit I find the idea of making the review feedbacks public very promising. It wouldn't even need be anything but a next-to-invisible link somewhere on the sidelines to open them up, if so willed.

I think it would give added credibility to any review feedbacks if they have to be 'good enough' to stand public scrutiny.

Well, and the purpose of the Akagi review wasn't that much to give a full rundown of everything concerning the series (which I tried to fix it to, though) but more of a chance for someone frustrated to find the most basic level rules of the game in as compact format as I could push it to.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

not that i'm 100% sure, but i guess that the reason comments on reviews work the way they do now, is that after being removed from the inbox ? (never received a comment on my review :P) the comment is deleted from the db, thus saving space, if the comments would be kept the db would grow some more.
Last edited by fahrenheit on Thu May 04, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

brd529 wrote:I would NEVER want to miss the reviews. Instead, I would ike to see this part of anidb be VERY MUCH extended, because in my opinion this could be one of the greater benefits. Not as it is now, of course. But could be.
How do you suggest this should be accomplished?
Last edited by Trilandian on Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brd529

Post by brd529 »

Well what bugs me most is when mediocre titles receive ridiculously high ratings, see the Elfen Lied hype. That thing will be seen on the top ten forever. What a joke.

If we really want the reviews discussed in depth we would need some forum-like environment, where you can not only rate the review but also the comments.

The reviews can already be rated which is good. A commonly welcomed review should have a bigger impact on the overall rating which I believe it has not.

Do I believe in numbers too much? Maybe so... :lol:
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Yo! Don't trash Elfen Lied! It's a really decent anime!

As for your idea, it's pretty good.