New Language/Sub system for anidb - Discussion [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

suppy

Post by suppy »

suppy wrote:and I also agree with the suggestion that AR should be calculated from the resolution.
after having read up a bit more on anamorphic and what it means, I retract this statement - keep the AR field like it is.

but I would also add an indication that if the AR doesn't match the resolution, to indicate that it is anamorphic automatically (unless set to wrong aspect ratio...) - and maybe even calculate the display resolution based on the encoded resolution and the display AR.
worf

Post by worf »

ricce

Post by ricce »

I don't think it's a good idea to calculate the AR from resulation. There is a reason for the most container formats to store both AR and resulotion.

There are cases where the AR and resulotion dosen't mach and it is left to the media player to scale the frames to correct resulotion this is common on DVD's and therefor a few DVD rips.

but ofcource you can make a calculation of the AR if no other AR is specefied - just make sure that both values are stored in the DB.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

I hope there will be a way to add relations with op/ed very fast particularly in the case of chapter linking as it should get common soon.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Raptor wrote:I hope there will be a way to add relations with op/ed very fast particularly in the case of chapter linking as it should get common soon.
I don't quite get what you mean.

BYe!
EXP
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i think i he means matroska chapter linking. it's possible to put the op, ed and the rest of the ep in three different files, and still get them to play as one file (without making a playlist). this is for saving space. it would mean file relations pre and post, at least
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

and in what way is that important?
i mean what do we gain by having that information in the db?

BYe!
EXP
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

it would indicate that a certain file relies on other files for correct/intended playback. like movies often are split in several files, it could be useful to know that certain files are 'meant for each other'. part 1 is pre to part 2, part 2 is post to part 1. (however, chapter linking is more advanced, though. it's possible to request a chapter in another file at any point on playback. i think)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well the one movie two files issue can be handled by the file<->ep relations, that's what that feature is there for after all.

so we wouldn't need pre/post file<->file relations for that.
it would be no effort at all to add pre and post as file<->file relation types. I am just wondering whether that might confuse some ppl. We might end up with ppl adding file<->file pre/post relations between files of the different eps of an anime for example.

if op/end credits are the only place where this kind of relation would be usefull and we want to add it, then i would suggest a different name than pre/post, maybe simply op/end credit

BYe!
EXP
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

exp wrote:if op/end credits are the only place where this kind of relation would be usefull and we want to add it, then i would suggest a different name than pre/post, maybe simply op/end credit
yeah, that's probably better
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

I was referring the the chapter linking in MKV and op ed would indeed make quite some sense as the preview are often after the ed and are thus linked this way usually. (even if the preview is in the main ep it will be put after the ed on playback)

The idea is simply that the ed/op will be used where it belong in the anime as long as the file for it is in the same folder as the episode. If it is not there then there will simply be no op/ed and it think this function should be said someone so as to notifie users that the intended playback require the seperate op/ed files.

I dont see anything else that could use this feature except linked parts of a movie.

While this feture is rather new its working very well and will probably get more common soon as with any technological improvements
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Raptor wrote:I was referring the the chapter linking in MKV and op ed would indeed make quite some sense as the preview are often after the ed and are thus linked this way usually. (even if the preview is in the main ep it will be put after the ed on playback)
Usually by whom, precisely? No-one does this, ever.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

well the technology is farily young but go in darkhold and you will see many peeps talking about it. I currently have some RG files of this kind (LoopX3 is the one that tought about the system and asked Haali to update his splitter to handle this). I will release eps like this under my group RiP and I know Trash sensei released some as well (dunno under wich group)

Of course anidb could handle these case by special notes for now and be screwed in 6 months or plan in advance and do it now while they are already working on a new interface aniway