AniDB CSS - Feedback Thread

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

bandito

centering on anime page

Post by bandito »

if you'd like "my list" and "group info" on the anime page to be centered like they are in the old version, you can add this code:

Code: Select all

#layout-content div.anime_mylist table,
#layout-content div.anime_group table {
  margin: 0 auto;
}
this technique may also work for other places where you want to center a box in a box.

i recommend checking out: www.quirksmode.org

-- bandito
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

o_O'

Really think, reading this thread, that's a revelation? It's not in the current test page just because of a sync issue between the css there (for new markup), and having to change it to make the current mix-and-match markup on the live site work. You can even see the /* commented */ code in the included css...

Rar
bandito

Post by bandito »

i dont see the comments you're talking about. (from http://petriw.com/creativity/rar/index.xml)

what versions should one look at to provide the most constructive feedback?

-- bandito
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

http://petriw.com/creativity/rar/css/anidbstyle.css

table
{
/*margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
border: 0;*/
etc...

I can't use it for the live site because it's full of tables, there'd be odd centered stuff all over the place. As there are various differences between the 'ideal' and the current, that I need to change when uploading to the test pages vs. the main site. Anyway, fixed now, hit refresh.

Rar
Xenoid

Post by Xenoid »

New style is completely inconvenient for me.
For example, text alignment, it is inconvenient to read from right to left. I am not from japan :)
Too big table width and height. I am unable to see al information I want in one screen, have to scroll too much.
When I am opening anime I was looking for, can't see the picture. It will be better to place it on top.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand, what I meant.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Xenoid wrote:New style is completely inconvenient for me.
For example, text alignment, it is inconvenient to read from right to left. I am not from japan :)
Too big table width and height. I am unable to see al information I want in one screen, have to scroll too much.
When I am opening anime I was looking for, can't see the picture. It will be better to place it on top.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand, what I meant.
As stated, not everything is done yet, AniDB is a large site and this is a work in progress.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I still want to know how he managed to make the text read right to left though. Put a mirror in front of his monitor? Used IE? Banged self repeatedly on head?

Rar
Amour

Post by Amour »

Rar wrote:Used IE?
Stop using flames, Rar.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

To cool my flames, petriw has celebrated the conversion of the categories, anime calendar and fixing of the nonav=1 pages by creating a supa new Norwegian Blue style. And then, just to prove that css is so easy that any idiot can pick the colours they want, DerIdiot made his own blue theme (originally based around brown2, but he was converted).

Get involved! CSS compo coming up. And if you need help with anything, come on [url=irc://irc.chatsociety.net/anidb]#anidb[/url] and bug me or others for advice.

Rar
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

as rar dragged it already in let me post the real link
http://home.pages.at/deridiot/anidb/idiotblue.css
da blue version
http://home.pages.at/deridiot/anidb/idiotblack.css
and the newnew new black version :P

take note before this day i never had anythign to do with css and my artteacher... eh lets better skip that part.

take also note like in ALL css we have atm only the few converted pages really work. the rest looks like eyecancer. it's just for playing and testing mainly atm. still it's a good time to get started with doing your shizzle
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

would be nice that after a CTRL+TAB (going back to URL) the first object you tab to is the search instead of the main link, link in the past.

Dunno if this is possible w/o making the search included in the banner area (making the menu items drop a little)
P
S: Dunno if behavior is the same in FF since I can't install that one here. WIll test it once Im on a PC where I have FF
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

CTRL+TAB switches to the next tab, baaaka.

Rar

Er... that's don't expect browser specific behaviour to be identical
Amour

Post by Amour »

Rar wrote:Er... that's don't expect browser specific behaviour to be identical
TAB switches to the next TAB
CTRL+TAB switches to the URL bar
elfish

Post by elfish »

Rar wrote:Er... that's don't expect browser specific behaviour to be identical
tabindex isn't browser dependent, though I don't think there's a nice way to do it in the CSS. It can be argued, I think, that the tab order is semantic rather than presentational. In any case, marking the search form as tabindex=1, would accomplish this result, if it is desired (elements with no tabindex get tabbed out after tabindexed ones, in the order they appear in the document, which is what is happening with the other elements already).

In my opinion, it's a good idea: the search bar is often used, is the highest element on the page (presentationally it's in the header above the columns, rather than at the top of the right column), but is at the moment hard to find with the keyboard (it's after login/logout in the left sidebar).

On an unrelated note, the bangs in the notifications (#layout-menu a.history:after?) used to be bold as well as red; now they seem to just be red. Is this on purpose?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

If I was going to change markup order, I'd be moving menu and search after the content.

Were the 'bangs' bold? I never payed much attention to that corner of the menu, there are currently various issues with it from hurriedly trying to fill in the stuff I forgot.

Rar