AniDB CSS - Feedback Thread

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

Kaonashi

Post by Kaonashi »

Rar wrote:You turn images off, by any chance? You'll want to use a css file that's aware of that fact. Or just use brown2 instead for the moment.

Rar
I have images turned on. I'll use brown2 as you've said, although I prefer the default look.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Er... do you mind taking a few screenshots? As the search button for the default style is just a gif, I'm having trouble seeing how the text on it went walkies.

Rar
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

elfish wrote:Are we, however, maybe talking about a different <p>? There's no <p> or </p> inside the login <form>. As I understand it (and the spec seems to be stating), you can't put inline elements (which <input> is) inside a <form>, only block elements. To put an <input> inside a <form>, there has to be a block element between them.

Example: <form><input/><input/><input/></form> on its own is not valid, but <form><p><input/><input/><input/></p></form> is.

Thus on the validator's output, there needs to be a <p> on line 36, after "<form action="animedb.pl" method="post">", closed on line 42 after "</form>"

Even if my analysis completely wrong, I still stand by my bug report: that you're using XHTML/Strict implies that you care about valid HTML, and would be interested to know when your HTML doesn't validate. I don't think your hostility was necessary or productive.
When I viewed the source it said something like this
<form><input/><input/><input/></p></form>
in the source shown.

Maybe rar fixed it.
Kaonashi

Post by Kaonashi »

Rar wrote:Er... do you mind taking a few screenshots? As the search button for the default style is just a gif, I'm having trouble seeing how the text on it went walkies.

Rar
The buttons with no caption have the red arrow and are circled in red.
Again, I'm using Camino in Mac OS X 10.3.9.

windmage

Post by windmage »

Nested CSS (include files) makes it take forever to load when hitting reload, since you have to wait for several http transactions rather than just one.. :(
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, the initial load is really slow now. :(
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

anidb.net has been having problems today...

Anyway, maybe you should change the caching if css files have to be loaded with each page load.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

The arrangement is tempory, but do you really hit refresh that often? Anyway, what petri said.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't hit refresh, but anyway the first load of the forum during a browser session takes way more than before. I'm using Firefox 1.5 with default cache settings.
elfish

Post by elfish »

Possibly this is a known issue, but the AniDB masthead at the top used to be a link to the front page.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I've not touched the forum! The .net server has just been having fun. The sql was down for a bit, but no one seemed to notice anyway. And yeah elfish, that particular misfeature I'm glad to be rid of - use 'main' in nav if you want to go to the top.

Rar
MaJutsu

Post by MaJutsu »

What about making the Buttons "login" and "signup" the same? (see Kaonashi's Screen) So half/Half its ugly.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

They are the same, on everything but Mac, it seems. Obviously they love their silly rounded shiny widgets so much they don't want me to override them. Will look into solutions. I'd like to dump html forms really, but that's not an option for the foreseeable future.

Rar
ricce

Post by ricce »

Rar wrote:They are the same, on everything but Mac, it seems. Obviously they love their silly rounded shiny widgets so much they don't want me to override them. Will look into solutions. I'd like to dump html forms really, but that's not an option for the foreseeable future.

Rar
They are wrong for me too, and I'm not on Mac.

My browser is Konqueror (Linux) and I know it has support for changing the look on widgets with css.
MaJutsu

Post by MaJutsu »

Screenshot of the frontpage on several browsers:
Safari 2.0.2 ___________ Mozilla 1.7.12 ________ Internet Explorer 5.2.3 _ Firefox 1.5 __________ Camino 1.0b1 ________ Opera 8.51
Image Image Image Image Image Image
All on Mac OS X 10.4.3
So it looks like Browser and OS issue

edit: Opera added
Last edited by MaJutsu on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.