AniDB DOWN - NOW UP AGAIN!

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Skyw4lker

Post by Skyw4lker »

Yay! This is really good news :)

cya Skyw4lker
khim

Post by khim »

rescuetoaster wrote:Why it MUST BE a single server?! Explain to me ... the dumb....
AniDB is designed this way. It's easy to split AniDB and put load on few servers in such a way that all servers must be online for AniDB to work - but that's counterproductive (one server is down == everything is down; it's better to have one server while AniDB is having such design).

Alternative (and the only sane way few years from now) is to make AniDB more p2p-like: end-user lists are kept on end-user systems, there are few servers where summary information is kept. But it's not easy to design and build such a system - let alone do it "on emergency basis". There are a lot of issues: technical issues, privacy issues, etc. Not unsolvable yet quite non-trivial.
rescuetoaster

Post by rescuetoaster »

khim wrote: AniDB is designed this way. It's easy to split AniDB and put load on few servers in such a way that all servers must be online for AniDB to work - but that's counterproductive (one server is down == everything is down; it's better to have one server while AniDB is having such design).

Alternative (and the only sane way few years from now) is to make AniDB more p2p-like: end-user lists are kept on end-user systems, there are few servers where summary information is kept. But it's not easy to design and build such a system - let alone do it "on emergency basis". There are a lot of issues: technical issues, privacy issues, etc. Not unsolvable yet quite non-trivial.
Hm... but will there be similar plan in the future?
matija

Post by matija »

Domou Arigatou Gozaimasu Provider-sama!!

Good luck with anidb.
hmikky

Post by hmikky »

AniDB is the best the way it is, when time comes it will evolve, but let em figure when it is the best to do so, and be there for them then, if u have skills to contribute... dont give help untill asked to do so, its courtesy, i think...

ok, im no genious, i dont have good advices (those soo many times mentioned in this thread like ulimit etc... i wonder if ppl read this thread before posting at all) but i think that admins of this site know a thing or two about network, programming etc. (look arround, has it not been workig for years??) no offense to anyone, but keep ur "knowledge" where its needed... i know all of u r frustrated by this downtime, but as someone allready said, this is free, this is good (better, the best), so stop buggin the ppl, they r workin on it...
end-user lists are kept on end-user systems,
bad idea, i need access to my data from anywhere in the world, and i want to b able to peek into anyones list (if allowed) and not just the ppl i know, or r currently onlline... centralised db is good :P... tho it might b good to allways have a copy on ur hdd :) in case smthin goes wrong :)

as for copys of DataBase i believe they back it up, and there is no need for other kind of redundancy, i believe u get the whole db on ur hdd with AniDB-O-Matic, if im wrong correct me... (been a long time since i used it, web java based one is my preference)

i was affraid this thread was at some point to become a linguistic debate, it was fun to read it in the begining, but he got anoying really quick :P (indefinite LOL, well, i hope its defined now (the time) :D)

uff, im sorry for the length, but i had to :)
keep up the good work AniDB team :)
(hopes ull have an ace in ur sleave for the next time a problem occurs, and sry for my english :D)
nahajohari

Appreciation

Post by nahajohari »

Klutz wrote:Funny how addicted one can get to a website, taking it's presence for granted. Stuff like this is bound to happen at some point...just remember guys how much your site and work is appreciated by thousands. :)
I second what Klutz said... I'm one of those thousands of anime lovers who take anidb for granted but know jack about technical stuff, and man did I freak out when the site went down.

I truly appreciate anidb. Thank you guys... :D
starscalling

Post by starscalling »

so its gonna be back up eh...
what about a mirror thats updated daily or something?
and what sort of hardware does anidb need to run?
dravas

Post by dravas »

If you are willing this is what you can do to prevent downtime mirror sites lots of people do it as a way of having a backup server. Simple concept of having a few dedicated fans hosting your website but allowing you to give them the updates as needed. That is the simple way. now you can have the complicated way of using the mirrors and linking them to the main site each is independent but each is tied to the main site address. aka anidb.net works but the other forms do not.

Note you can use your own computer as a webserver if you install the proper programs and use the proper ip masking solutions. no-ip is one of them. by doing this you can create a test server and see how well your site can take to new code. Note that this does not eat up 1/10th of your processor and you will still be able to burn rip play games at the same time as testing new code. Just remember what they taught you in programing class. save save save save
Faufnir

Re: Appreciation

Post by Faufnir »

nahajohari wrote:
Klutz wrote:Funny how addicted one can get to a website, taking it's presence for granted. Stuff like this is bound to happen at some point...just remember guys how much your site and work is appreciated by thousands. :)
I second what Klutz said... I'm one of those thousands of anime lovers who take anidb for granted but know jack about technical stuff, and man did I freak out when the site went down.

I truly appreciate anidb. Thank you guys... :D
Indeed, this site has become invaluable to me as the definitive anime resource; kudos to the staff of anidb & Godspeed for the near future! :wink:
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

dravas wrote:If you are willing this is what you can do to prevent downtime mirror sites lots of people do it as a way of having a backup server. Simple concept of having a few dedicated fans hosting your website but allowing you to give them the updates as needed. That is the simple way. now you can have the complicated way of using the mirrors and linking them to the main site each is independent but each is tied to the main site address. aka anidb.net works but the other forms do not.

Note you can use your own computer as a webserver if you install the proper programs and use the proper ip masking solutions. no-ip is one of them. by doing this you can create a test server and see how well your site can take to new code. Note that this does not eat up 1/10th of your processor and you will still be able to burn rip play games at the same time as testing new code. Just remember what they taught you in programing class. save save save save
Um ... that works when it`s your own personal website, yes. Once it comes to a site like AniDB, you do need some specs and when there are that many people visiting, you won`t even be able to browse, when on a normal DSL. So it`s not that easy ;)
m00n

Post by m00n »

UP AGAIN!!!

Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasu!!!
2crazy

Post by 2crazy »

dravas wrote: Note you can use your own computer as a webserver if you install the proper programs and use the proper ip masking solutions. no-ip is one of them. by doing this you can create a test server and see how well your site can take to new code. Note that this does not eat up 1/10th of your processor and you will still be able to burn rip play games at the same time as testing new code. Just remember what they taught you in programing class. save save save save
a project like AniDB takes more resources than you might think. Only 1 server might not even be optimal for it. And you definitely don't want to play games on those machines :-) Or even have a graphical desktop installed.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Well maybe a good idea would be a solution similar to wikipedia's one. Using a few (would be good atleast 2) servers as main database serves and using seperate (in this case all those donated low-spec servers) for caching (squid or smth.). This would be easy to implement and maintain only for common data (anime lists etc.), but for user specific data like mylist this would be a bit more difficult to implement.
Actually 2 mirrored database/page generation servers would solve downtime problems in the future. If one server is down the other one would be used as an alternative and all traffic would be sent there.
Squid(etc.) servers would take off a lot of load from the main database serves. As i understand it's not a very big problem now but if user count will increase furthermore this might be a really good idea.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

shaman wrote:Well maybe a good idea would be a solution similar to wikipedia's one. Using a few (would be good atleast 2) servers as main database serves and using seperate (in this case all those donated low-spec servers) for caching (squid or smth.). This would be easy to implement and maintain only for common data (anime lists etc.), but for user specific data like mylist this would be a bit more difficult to implement.
Actually 2 mirrored database/page generation servers would solve downtime problems in the future. If one server is down the other one would be used as an alternative and all traffic would be sent there.
Squid(etc.) servers would take off a lot of load from the main database serves. As i understand it's not a very big problem now but if user count will increase furthermore this might be a really good idea.
Please note that wikipedia also has this page:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising

AniDB doesn't.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Well i clearly understand that. I'm not suggesting to do it on such a large scale. But this would be a way to use decentralize AniDB a bit by using donated even low-spec servers...
Ok well anyways i think we'll have to go back to this problem when it's time and this new server can't take the stress (and i think in current growth rates this might be in not such a distant future) and right now lets enjoy up-and-running-again AniDB ;)