Proper status for partial projects [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

DonGato

Proper status for partial projects [DONE]

Post by DonGato »

*MAJOR EDIT AFTER MOVED TO FEATURE REQUESTS*

We all know that nowadays is quite common to see a project dropped after a license and a new unknown or "immoral" group starting after the dropped episode. They most of the times conclude the project but don't start from the first episode.

Now the system is handling the wrong way those cases (a BUG), and so we need find a fix so we don't mislead users into believing someone dropped or has a project staled when it's really finished.

As discussed in here, 12ktp status for Juuni Kokki shouldn't be stalled as they won't release the first episodes and they already released the last one. The group finished the project and dissolved itself. This is a clear case showing why not DROPPED nor STALLED are good status.

I proposed a "FINISHED" status and wahaha said "PARTIAL". Whatever status we decide we have to be clear that the released episodes are the only ones you will see from them for this series.

I don't see this as a Feature Request only as we're giving wrong information to users and should be corrected ASAP. So please don't give low priority to this. ;)
Last edited by DonGato on Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

This should be a feature request, not a bug report unless you want us to mark it dropped.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No. It shouldn't.

The objective of the group status is to state the progress of the fansub, so if a group will sub from 18-45 and nothing more or we have another status or we set as complete, but it isn't DROPPED nor STALLED.

And IMO this is NOT a Feature but a Bug.

EDIT: after talking with some people we agreed that this is a bug and a feature request. :P
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Let's say, it's a "missing or incomplete feature" ^^ - (moved from DB Change Request)

So, basically, there's the need for a new state to indicate that a group didn't do eps 1 - last, but eps x - last (x>1), so their release is "almost complete"... such a state would indeed be very useful.

As DonGato already mentioned, the only problem from my point of view is the name. I'm in favor of "partial" ^^
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Even as I don't have anything against PARTIAL the word itself doesn't show they won't release new episodes. That's why I thought about FINISHED, that doesn't say it's complete but that it's clear that you shouldn't expect anything more from them.
egg

Post by egg »

DonGato wrote:Even as I don't have anything against PARTIAL the word itself doesn't show they won't release new episodes. That's why I thought about FINISHED, that doesn't say it's complete but that it's clear that you shouldn't expect anything more from them.
I would say both... I would use PARTIAL if they did a middle section of the anime and FINISHED if they did the end (last episode). Sometimes an anime is subbed by mainstreem groups, then it is licensed and another group starts subbing it. Sometimes that group disbands before the end of the anime and a third group picks it up...

Here are the statuses:
1) Dropped - Contains the 1st episode and moderator sets it for no more episodes
2) Partial - Does not contain the first or last episode and moderator sets it for no more episodes
3) Finished - Contains the last episode and moderator sets it for no more episodes
4) All the other statuses stay the same...

What I would like to see, though, is a list of episodes or at least a count of episodes subbed, not the Last episode #.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

about dropped... a group can drop a series sometimes 2 eps before finish so 1) Dropped - Contains the 1st episode and moderator sets it for no more episodes isn't the right definition for it imo
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't see any use for the PARTIAL status as you state it. People want to know if they did all the series or part of it but completed so:

ONGOING: it's ongoing (releases are being done in a timely manner)
DROPPED: it's dropped (no more releases, so it won't be finished)
STALLED: it's stalled (no releases in x months)
COMPLETE: it's complete (all episodes released)
FINISHED: it's complete (first episodes weren't released, but finished to the last one)

IMO, if you want to know if first or last episode was released by a group just collapse the list and see in more detail. For me if a group only released some episodes in the middle of the series the status should be dropped. There was no commitment IMO.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Added tracker entry so we move forward with this.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Will this be updated automatically after the maintenance? Or just post at the forum which anime are finished, so that the mods can change it?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Every group releasing the last episode but not all the available episodes will be set to "Finished" as exp said. I understood it was automatically.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

it's done automatically, once every 3 days.

BYe!
EXP
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

I wonder whether the current data model allows for a workaround:
- create a "virtual sub group" for this project, listing the groups participating in the complete project and the borders of their responsibility (we already have the data structure for joint contributions), and
- assign all respective files to that virtual group whose project will then have the proper status of "completed".

I'm aware this will not cover all situations (sometimes more than one group took the baton...), but it might still be solve some of the current problems.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

How about the term: Concluded
2 entries found for Concluded.
con·clude Audio pronunciation of "Concluded" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-kld)
v. con·clud·ed, con·clud·ing, con·cludes
v. tr.

1. To bring to an end; close: concluded the rally with the national anthem. See Synonyms at complete.
2. To bring about (a final agreement or settlement): conclude a peace treaty.
3. To reach a decision or form an opinion about. See Synonyms at decide.
4. To arrive at (a logical conclusion or end) by the process of reasoning; infer on the basis of convincing evidence: The jury concluded that the defendant was innocent.
5. Obsolete. To confine; enclose.

v. intr.

1. To come to an end; close.
2. To come to a decision or agreement.
This term indicated that it has come to an end, but NOT necessarily with all the parts (if you look up the term complete it specifically states that all the parts are there). This can be used for both ones that are only in the middle, and ones that are up to the end. Becuase those that are only in the middle have concluded their purpose, even if they did not conclude the series.
However, dropped should be more appropriate for ones who only do a segment in the MIDDLE. They did not just skip the early episodes that were already released, they also never bothered finishing what they started, which means concluded, or any term other then dropped does not fit (with the exception of a group created specifically to patch a "hole" in a release, by releasing skipped episodes)