Meaningless reasons

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

rowaasr13

Meaningless reasons

Post by rowaasr13 »

Rar, what the fuck is going on? I sill think YOUR edits to titles of PC:MH are not exactly correct and now I get deny in this CREQ with no better reason that "a minor point". All this got no objections in http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2935 and this particular point is even stated IN YOUR OWN POST. Will you please follow at least your own rules?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I would have ignore-granted, but quite frankly felt it was one-upmanship on your part after peli had been right about the obscure reading of 彼の. To clarify for everyone who can't see the creq, rows. requested the addition of the consonant 'w' to the transcription of を in an ep title, which is in line with the Kunrei-shiki method of romanising particles rather than Hepburn - with common fansubbing practices generally falling somewhere between the two (を -> wo is common, but は -> ha is generally only seen in error).
My general response to changes that are made based on preference in one of the grey areas such as punctuation, capitalisation and so on where ideas differ on which is the 'correct approach', is to ignore grant with a message to raise the issue in this forum and try and get some consensus on the issue. There's no point granting creqs piecemeal when to actually set a certain rule throughout the db would require a huge number of changes, see also the 'real caps' thread.
As for the current status of romanising を, as implied by the "I'll let wahaha explain that one" the suggestion was a copy from wahaha's earlier suggestions, and is also noted as a disputed rule. In practice I think most anime titles at the moment use wo, and ep titles are based on the preference of the person who creqed them. Really what I need to do is turn that old post into something rather more comprehensive on the wiki, in that much I am certainly at fault.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Rar, I really do not care what you "feel" - you're supposed to moderate submission, not to show your feelings in DB (as opposed to say, here, in forums). I discussed "kano" with pelican himself and retracted my previous request - this one is different issue, so do not link them together, please. を as "wo" is not only general fansubbing practice, it is general practice among japanese as well. You may like it or not (and if you do not, why you say to do it in your post, anyway?), but what you like is not reason for denies. Do not make me believe that you really doing this just to spite me, as you've said.

(And worry not, anybody who is logged in can see CREQ history).
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Japanese usage of romaji (which is rare) tends to use the more-faithful-to-spelling Kunrei-shiki in preference to the more-faithful-to-pronunciation Hepburn. Fansubber practices might be relevant, but the japanese use japanese, not transcriptions.

As you're obviously feeling persecuted over this, I'd like to point out I had a very similar situation with karasuhebi recently, which I handled exactly the same way.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

My problem with this is that you announce one rules and then use something different. Please, either do not set them, or do not change you mind just because you feel like it. I'm not really interested in guessing your mood every time I submit a change. Your past similar acts do not make this situation any better.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Meh, that's not 'rules'. You know it was just a proposal, done pre-moddage, and many parts of the post are incomplete/out of date. If you're gonna try and treat it like scripture I'll move it back to the archive where it belongs.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

If those are not rules or guidelines, then I even less understand reasons for denying without any discussion. Or do you really did it because you "felt" like it? In that case, can you please go meditate or something to calm your mind before you check over my creqs? I do not my requests moderated by your feelings.

I'm tired from this idiocy. From now I'll just post all romaji changes to Change Request forum. At least I won't have to deal with you alone.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Well, if said changes are going to be exclusively adding double-yous, then I'd say the creq forum is the best place for it. If however you're going to be providing transcriptions for ep titles, I'll continue cutting your personal style the same slack I do for everyone, until some real ten-commandments-of-romaji are written. But as you seem to be thinking I'm suffering from some virulent form of PMS here, feel free to remain in a huff about that terrible one-creq-denied.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Alas, I don't see how you do it "for everyone" - want me to recall history of approvals with "wo"? What you continue to ignore is that it is not "personal style" - it is what japanese use and, therefore, what should be used in romaji.

Just try those searches and compare numbers:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q= ... eru%22&lr=
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q= ... eru%22&lr=

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q= ... iru%22&lr=

So, I still don't see your personal speculation and views of what romaji style should be as rational reason neither for denying my request, nor for you strange change of mind to suddenly oppose general idea that を should be written as "wo".
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

You two should really get a room *snicker*
Elias

Post by Elias »

If you use in search only romaji names you will get much more results and not only two but more different romaji representing same kanji (when kanji is used, why allways writing romaji with it, for japanese people additional romaji is not needed - kanji should be enough).
I've checked for example those name: http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... me&aid=336 and i find about 5 different romaji versions for the title (and there are animes which have more such romaji versions). So only most (google) popular form is correct? I dont think so. And then why changing one correct form into another correct (and more popular) form.
Last edited by Elias on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

What's all this `romanji' stuff everyone seems to be talking about today? I know what's right in rōmaji (and rowsaar is, as usual, not one of these things; see the Wikipedia article on Hepburn rōmaji, which is the system anidb's rōmaji mostly agrees with), but I've never come across the rules for this new and mysterious `romanji' system.
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

pelican wrote:see the Wikipedia article on Hepburn rōmaji, which is the system anidb's rōmaji mostly agrees with)
# When he へ is used as a particle it is written e.
I wish more people would remember that rule. I hardly ever see fansubbers romanize it that way, hell, we even have Kita he ~Diamond Dust Drops~ in the database =/
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

rowaasr13 wrote:it is what japanese use and, therefore, what should be used in romaji.
This is a false assertion.
rowaasr13 wrote:nor for you strange change of mind to suddenly oppose general idea that を should be written as "wo".
I could say again that I was relaying wahaha's guideline, but as you don't bother reading my posts, I guess I might as well apologise for suddenly changing my mind over the last six months.

Rar
Rafal

Post by Rafal »

In both kunrei-shiki and the hepburn system を should be written as "o" when it's used as a particle, so I don't see what's the problem here. Also, why aren't there fixed rules about this yet? And what's preventing us from creating them right now?