[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

He's a rat.

Rar
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

I think can think of at least four anime with rodents as major characters off the top of my head; it's at least as valid as any of the other suggestions being made here.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Maybe it's better to rename Source::None to Source::Original Work or Source::Original. Somebody already mentioned I think but I didn't now where :?.
Der Idiot wrote:sjabbie wrote:
Mystical Characters is better I think because it's both creatures and people.

i agree with that as well so changed.

Quote:
For Shootout maybe you can say Guns?

i don't mind either.
Shootout hasn't been changed to Guns yet. Don't if it needs discussion?
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Source::Original Work - renamed
Action::Guns - renamed
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Source::Original Work
Don't be ducking stupid, that's tautology.

Changing the whole category name to "Original Work" is more sensible (and keeping the "None" sub-category).

[rar: ++ahiru]
Elias

Post by Elias »

Der Idiot wrote:Action::Guns - renamed
At least some guns. Maybe then also moving Western under it as
Action::Guns::Western
could be possible (i didn't remember western without guns, but who knows, maybe there are some, i didn't remember anime western also, only one western-like episode in Ranma, but if someone proposed it, then propably exists some).
Last edited by Elias on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

nice to see that we're finally getting some movement again :o)

BYe!
EXP
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

pelican wrote:Changing the whole category name to "Original Work" is more sensible (and keeping the "None" sub-category).
That is more sensible, but then you don't need the subcategory None. I mean, to add the category Original Work::None to an anime which is an original work 8O. Then only Original Work should be added. So you're stupid as well :P.
Elias wrote:(i didn't remember western without guns, but who knows, maybe there are some, i didn't remember anime western also, only one western-like episode in Ranma, but if someone proposed it, then propably exists some).
I think it's more western-like anime that are out there, like Trigun. Can't think of another though, so maybe western isn't needed.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

sjabbie wrote:I think it's more western-like anime that are out there, like Trigun. Can't think of another though, so maybe western isn't needed.
Trigun, Gun Frontier, Early Reins and Wild Arms. ...and probably couple more that I haven't watched.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

sjabbie wrote:
pelican wrote:Changing the whole category name to "Original Work" is more sensible (and keeping the "None" sub-category).
That is more sensible, but then you don't need the subcategory None. I mean, to add the category Original Work::None to an anime which is an original work 8O
I'm aware that this is also marginally silly, but it'll be needed for searches when exp finally comes around and implements inheritance in categories.
Elias

Post by Elias »

exp wrote:nice to see that we're finally getting some movement again :o)
I think is really time to move anidb into new categeries (i mean moving all old genres into corresponding in new system, add some creq possibilities and start updating animes with new genres). Now we are like walking in circle, allmost all ideas are already existing in new genre system or denied.
When all animes will have at least some of new genres it will be easier to spot some missing or weak points.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Elias wrote:At least some guns. Maybe then also moving Western under it as
Action::Guns::Western
wouldn't military require moving in that case as well? the Military section is meant for modern military right? if yes then there are definitely guns involved.
though in both cases the japanese might just do something that doesn't involve guns just for the heck of it and to annoy us ^^;
Changing the whole category name to "Original Work" is more sensible (and keeping the "None" sub-category).
ok renamed Source to Original Work,
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Month ago, there was some discussion about renaming Dynamic::Plot::Tragedy and Dynamic::Plot::Slice of Life as Genre::Drama::Tragedy and Genre::Drama::Slice of Life. No one seemed opposed to that back then, so if that still remains unchanged then they probably should be renamed.

Anyway, I agree with what Elias wrote. There are still some obscure categories that might barely qualify to be added (fe. Characters::People::Hackers), but it seems to me that basically all the common (and needed) categories have already been added. Time to move on to the next stage, I'd say. Though on the other hand, Rar did say that he had something planned for the ::Fantasy-subcategories (and who know what else). Perhaps we should wait and see what he has in store -- in case they're major changes -- before we start actually using the categories? -_-;
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Even though Rar wants to do something about the Fantasy category, it doesn't mean the other categories can't be added. Maybe the mods can already start adding some of them like the sport genres. Don't think there are going to be a lot of changes there.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Andemon wrote:Month ago, there was some discussion about renaming Dynamic::Plot::Tragedy and Dynamic::Plot::Slice of Life as Genre::Drama::Tragedy and Genre::Drama::Slice of Life. No one seemed opposed to that back then, so if that still remains unchanged then they probably should be renamed.
done.

but isn't
Genre::Drama::Slice of Life
and
Genre::Drama::Real Life

the same?!

Maybe the mods can already start adding some of them like the sport genres. Don't think there are going to be a lot of changes there.
uh you lost me there. what do you want us to do? adding categories to animetitles? uh can't normal user do that as well?! At least i thought they could. O_o