Change of <br> tag [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Justinus

Change of <br> tag [DONE]

Post by Justinus »

I would like to request the change of a tag from <br> to <br />. <br> is deprecated in the current W3C standard, which is XHTML 1.1. I understand that many browsers used by surfers don't fully support XHTML, specifically IE. However, changing from <br> to <br /> doesn't hurt older browsers one bit as they can display a new tag correctly, and this is also a part of migrating from HTML to XHTML in W3C's plan.

Personally, I want to change this tag because I'm developing XML template for AniDB and the template can't correctly display some fields, especially synopsis/description field, because it contains a number of <br> tags. Right now, I'm using a workaround method by using [[CDATA]] though it displays <br> mixed together with other information, which is not quite a good looking.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

It's been changed already as I understand it but it's only updated when people edit the anime/etc entry.
Justinus

Post by Justinus »

Couldn't you run an SQL script via database interface, e.g. phpMyAdmin? If you can't, then does it mean that we have to edit those entries one by one?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

You could always submit a bug report to the anidb tracker and request the script to be run.
Justinus

Post by Justinus »

Maybe, I'll take CDATA off in the next version of my template, and ask them to report any left-over unchanged <br> tag to AniDB's staff members whenever they find one.