[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

suppy

Post by suppy »

Imo if you want Ghibli, just go to the company page
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Yeah you're right, didn't think about that :oops:.
Elias

Post by Elias »

sjabbie wrote:I think ecchi now falls under Content Indicators::Nudity.
But there isn't pantsu subcategory.
sjabbie wrote: Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess

Oh! My goddess (OVA, movie and TV serie)

Characters::Mystical Creatures::Devils

Devil Man (OVA's and TV serie)
First one i already proposed (only little different), but about another point. Like exp said enough is at least 2 animes which can fails under new subcategory, but i think he mean by this: at least 2 different animes, not animes closely related (OVA and TV, or prequel and sequel) or we will end in categories like Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Belldandy
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Urd
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Skuld
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Goddess singing
(there are now 4 AA! Megami sama titles so there is lots of common things in them, and '..Kenshin drinking tea' or '..Naruto using its <forget name, most used by him> technique ' would be then also correct).
suppy

Post by suppy »

sjabbie wrote:And shouldn't there be an apart category for Ghibli like:

Genre::Drama::Ghibli or
Genre::Fantasy::Ghibli or just
Genre::Ghibli
suppy wrote:Imo if you want Ghibli, just go to the company page
Although, when I think about it... How about making the company info part of the categories too?
new root-category:
Company
Company::Studio Ghibli
Company::GONZO
Company::CLAMP
Company::Studio 4°C

... and so on
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

suppy wrote:Although, when I think about it... How about making the company info part of the categories too?
new root-category:
Company
Company::Studio Ghibli
Company::GONZO
Company::CLAMP
Company::Studio 4°C

... and so on
nope, the company system is meant for that.

BYe!
EXP
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Elias wrote:
sjabbie wrote: Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess

Oh! My goddess (OVA, movie and TV serie)

Characters::Mystical Creatures::Devils

Devil Man (OVA's and TV serie)
First one i already proposed (only little different), but about another point. Like exp said enough is at least 2 animes which can fails under new subcategory, but i think he mean by this: at least 2 different animes, not animes closely related (OVA and TV, or prequel and sequel) or we will end in categories like Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Belldandy
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Urd
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Skuld
Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddess::Goddess singing
(there are now 4 AA! Megami sama titles so there is lots of common things in them, and '..Kenshin drinking tea' or '..Naruto using its <forget name, most used by him> technique ' would be then also correct).
I actually assumed that there were more anime with goddesses and devils (Devil Lady? haven't seen it) out there. Except I don't know anymore and hoped that someone could back me up with some anime. Btw, Naruto's technique is called Kage Bunshin no Jutsu ;).
exp wrote:nope, the company system is meant for that.
But isn't it possible to put the company system into the category tree?
Or at least at the main page because now I have to go to Myplace every time. (Not really necessary, just a minor suggestion)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Andemon wrote:
Raptor wrote:I agree with them being called anthro thats much more clear but i think they should be considered peoples much more than animals.
Someone already added Characters::Kemono. That translates as beast, but if I'm not mistaken, it's also used for anthros..
[EDIT]
...and now someone has renamed it Characters::Juujin. I have absolutely no idea what that means. -_-;
Sorry, should have answered this. I changed it from 'anthropomorphic' because that's a misuse of the word, if I were to talk about Death stalking the streets, or or the hands Fate, that would be anthropomorphism - ie giving human characteristics to abstract or inanimate things. Using it as synonym for 'furries' is Bad. And as this is a vaugley japanese leaning database, I prefer a loanword of some kind to that (implicitly sexual) american one. Settled on 獣人, which is just beast-man/animal-person. Yeah, stuff like this, shinigami, futanari and other loans will need to be explained in situ, but that's not a major technical feat.

Rar
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

well these words that are not understood should get explanations fast or else we will keep adding them.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Romance::(Sudden girlfriend appearance)
Er... haven't got a good name for this one. Suggestions welcome. You know the sort though, girl appears from nowhere and claims to be owner/spouse/housekeeper of the main character.
Aa! Megami-sama, 3x3 Eyes, Video Girl Ai, Tattoon Master, Utena

Romance::Harem
We all know this one. What ever the excuse in the plot, the basic aim is to get our 'hero' living with as many girls as possible. Oh, the mayhem.
Love Hina, Hanaukyo Maids, Elfen Lied

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I want Setting::Place::Country::Russia :P
Some of Lupin, FMP! and Wolf's Rain as examples.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Bah! Russia is hardly notable. Don't think any people live there, even.

Rar (hides)
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Who cares about people? There's lots of bears and vodka, and bears (well, at least pandas) and vodka are refered in anime often enough.
Elias

Post by Elias »

sjabbie wrote: I actually assumed that there were more anime with goddesses and devils

(Devil Lady? haven't seen it) out there. Except I don't know anymore and hoped that someone could back me up with some anime.
Goddesses: Angelium (there is goddess Hera, but only in minor role, if you add Gods there will be also Zeus and Hades from same title)
Devils: it could be harder, what is difference between demons and devils? Viper GTS has some nice devilish ladies. :twisted:
sjabbie wrote: Btw, Naruto's technique is called Kage Bunshin no Jutsu ;).
Now i remembered. And i even remebered harem variant of this :oops:
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

And what about this?

Characters::Monster Owners

For anime like pokemon and digimon

Actually I don't like the name so suggestions are welcome.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

monster traniners?