WAP Version [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

nivexus

WAP Version [DENIED]

Post by nivexus »

How about making a WAP version of the site so we can get access to the DB using Mobilephone/Cellphone.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

i guess that there's too much info on anidb to be renderered on a small screen, if you want to get an ideia, open the anidb site in Opera, resize a window to get the size of the display of your cellphone and use View>Small Screen in Opera (or SHIFT+F11), you can get an ideia what it would look like.
lamer_de

Post by lamer_de »

I was wondering why anybody would want to manage their mylist from their cellphone? Unless you're one of those persons who add files without ed2k links as soon as it's reported on BT sites to increase their e-penis as much as possible, so that you could even do that when you're not in front of your precious computer. If you just want to get an overview of what's new, a rss reader or something like that would probably bet better. But yeah, if they are suddenly tons of people who need access to anidb at all time, I'm all for it. After all, I don't have to implement that ;)

CU,
lamer_de
Justinus

Post by Justinus »

fahrenheit wrote:i guess that there's too much info on anidb to be renderered on a small screen, if you want to get an ideia, open the anidb site in Opera, resize a window to get the size of the display of your cellphone and use View>Small Screen in Opera (or SHIFT+F11), you can get an ideia what it would look like.
You can use WML to minimise the user interface.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

There is already a try to get the AniDB layout done in CSS. I think it would be nice to get a CSS template that would make the AniDB layout fit on smaller screens, from Cell phone screens to HipTop or for instance Nokia Communicator.

This should be put "on todo" and simply stay there until there are enough resources free to get it done.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Skywalka wrote:There is already a try to get the AniDB layout done in CSS. I think it would be nice to get a CSS template that would make the AniDB layout fit on smaller screens, from Cell phone screens to HipTop or for instance Nokia Communicator.

This should be put "on todo" and simply stay there until there are enough resources free to get it done.
the problem with that approach would be that ATM most mobile browsers do only support a very limited subset of CSS, if they support it at all.

BYe!
EXP
Justinus

Post by Justinus »

The better approach is to use XSLT. It's a good solution as it can transform the content into any format you want. Also, it can be used with CSS, which is used to redefine the layout furthermore.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

exp wrote:
the problem with that approach would be that ATM most mobile browsers do only support a very limited subset of CSS, if they support it at all.

BYe!
EXP
I guessed the realization of this feature could be in a five to ten year timeframe so... ;-)

The XSLT idea is a nice one. I wish I had that much time ;-)