Voting before any episodes are added [OLD REQ]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Do you think it's irritating that some people vote before the anime is realeased???

Poll ended at Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Yes
77%
No
4%
Don't really care
19%

Total votes: 26

VoraX

Voting before any episodes are added [OLD REQ]

Post by VoraX »

I think the voting feature should be removed until an episode has been added to the series... take for example Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid... an air date has not even been set but regardless to that 56 persons have voted for it... how the hell can you vote for an anime you havent even seen :evil: it really gets my blood to boil...
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

I agree that it's annoying. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but if we could not allow people to vote until the day the anime airs (according to the air date), I'd say for exp to go for it :)
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

This is probably not the point in this thread, but I think, before someone can cast a permanent vote, he/she should have added every episode of the respective anime. Wouldn't it be easier to filter out all the "fanboys" like this?
Elias

Post by Elias »

Adding every episode for anime before making vote is little too much.
Let's see: you watched one episode of anime and it was crap. Ok, you think, maybe next episodes will be better, you watched 2nd and 3rd episode and those were even worse. And only to allow place low vote for this title you have to watch this <censored> until the end (all next XX still same bad episodes)?
Maybe little less stressing: having in mylist watched at least 80% (you can skip some episodes or some episodes can be only recaps not needed to mark title watched all) of all episodes is required to allow voting higher than 7, to place lover vote only one episode in mylist is enough.

Do not allowing persistent votes before airing date may be better idea, but only if airing dates are properly filled. And even then is still possible that someone has watched anime before official airing date.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Adding every episode for anime before making vote is little too much.
Let's see: you watched one episode of anime and it was crap. Ok, you think, maybe next episodes will be better, you watched 2nd and 3rd episode and those were even worse. And only to allow place low vote for this title you have to watch this <censored> until the end (all next XX still same bad episodes)?
Maybe little less stressing: having in mylist watched at least 80% (you can skip some episodes or some episodes can be only recaps not needed to mark title watched all) of all episodes is required to allow voting higher than 7, to place lover vote only one episode in mylist is enough.
There should at least be some kind of threshold like that "at least 80% watched" because there are people, who watch an episode, think it sucks and then give it a low rating.

By the way, I only watch anime that's high rated on AniDB, so that's why I came up with this ;).
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't vote (permanently) for series I didn't watch fully. I vote temporary sometimes whit long series (26 or more eps). And for series I drop I add them to mywishlist as blacklisted with a comment explaining why. You can't set a proper value for a series without watching it fully.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Elias wrote: Let's see: you watched one episode of anime and it was crap. Ok, you think, maybe next episodes will be better, you watched 2nd and 3rd episode and those were even worse. And only to allow place low vote for this title you have to watch this <censored> until the end (all next XX still same bad episodes)?
Of course. That's how it's supposed to work.
"permanent vote: (you have seen all eps)" <-- That pretty much says it all.

Considering that, what you said isn't a problem. In fact -- since some folks seem to be confused about the difference between temp.votes and perm.votes, all user probably *should* be required to have the full anime in their mylists before they can perm.vote for it... (That'd effectively weed out the hatevotes, too; as has been noted before in various other threads...) -_-;
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

i think you need to see all eps to make a permanent vote else there is the temp vote. If an anime had like 200 temp vote and only 4 perm ones i think it would say a lot aniway.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

I don't have a problem with low ratings based on watching 1 episode as long as the accumulated "average" rating uses the number of reviews watched as a weight for the rating.
This way one user having watched all 26 episodes and giving a good rating would countervail 26 users giving up after 1 episode.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

i disagree temp votes are not just for show. They are there for one freaking thing and thats peoples who have not seen everything.

If you cast a perm vote without seeing everything then you are quite simply cheating or do not understand the system.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

Raptor wrote:i disagree temp votes are not just for show. They are there for one freaking thing and thats peoples who have not seen everything.

If you cast a perm vote without seeing everything then you are quite simply cheating or do not understand the system.
But if so then all the good ratings will be in the permanent ratings (because those people will rather continue watching the series to the end) while most of the bad ratings will be in the temporary ratings (because those people will rather quit early), making both groups of ratings less valuable than some weighted combination of both. And what better weight could there be than the percentage of episodes watched? (Perhaps give the last episode with a higher weight as it tends to be more important for the overall storyline.)
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Well then, that should be a good thing right? I mean, those ratings are there for the fans as an indicator of what series are good and what aren't.

If a lot of people have given a permanent vote after they have seen the entire series then the rating is more accurate. If people cast a vote after watching 1 or 2 episodes and think it's bad they give like a 1 or 2 and that would affect the rating.

Besides if someone have to add the entire series before they can cast a vote, people might be discouraged to make new accounts and cast hatevotes. And they will be easily spotted because they probably don't have a lot anime in their list.

I personally think that temporary rating is there for people who didn't see the entire show, but are going to finish it. People who aren't going to finish the show shouldn't vote on that show at all. Maybe there should be some sort of list where people can give some feedback on why didn't finish the show.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Repeating myself...
DonGato wrote:I don't vote (permanently) for series I didn't watch fully. I vote temporary sometimes whit long series (26 or more eps). And for series I drop I add them to mywishlist as blacklisted with a comment explaining why. You can't set a proper value for a series without watching it fully.
Maybe we can show numbers of people adding a series to their blacklist?
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

The current separation between permanent and temporary voting makes it impossible to give honest ratings for some people.

The current system forces everyone not completing a series to either bash the series (by voting permanently) or push this series (by not voting permanently), both of which I consider wrong.
If they simply give their rating and the number of episodes they've seen and this number of episodes is used as weight for their rating this will result in the most accurate overall rating IMHO.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Well id rather not see the votes from the peoples that have not seen the entire series than seeing their votes.

If you really want the temp vote count then you can use your vote/ep count for the average but i sure as hell dont want to see them mixed with the perm votes.

The graph of votes is the only way to have an idea of what the anime is really worth i dont want this to be destroyed.