Kanji anime title - change letters [OLD REQ]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

ricce

Kanji anime title - change letters [OLD REQ]

Post by ricce »

When you change to "Official Title (Japanese, Kanji)" for default anime title type - you can't use the letters to filter mylist (everything is under 0-9).

Insted you shuld change the letters to hiragana/katakana if you choose Knji anime title as default. You may also need a lockup table for kanjis (or store the first letter in hiragana) to be abel to filter korektly.

(sorry for bad spelling)
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

What you're asking for is essentially impossible without explicit support in anidb for storing the reading of titles in kana. (Kanji can just be read in too many different ways and sometimes even a human won't know what reading is intended.)

A more plausible workaround would be to sort by the "official" (hepburn) romaji field even for kanji titles.
bbaab

Post by bbaab »

There's a tracker ticket for a similar problem already: http://www.anidb.net/tracker/view.php?id=22 - solving that would allow solving your problem, too.

@pelican: Sorting by the current romaji field isn't an option for two reasons; first, it would produce a totally different sorting from the one used in japanese, and second it wouldn't sort properly on titles with non-japanese or katakana-written non-japanese words as proper titles (see, for example, "アリス探偵局", which has "Alice Tanteikyoku" as the romaji title, instead of "Arisu ...").
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

As you yourself pointed out in a comment on that tracker entry, nothing short of what I said (readings for all titles in kana as a new field) will solve this problem. I know that what I suggested isn't a real solution, but it's more useful than sorting by the unicode representation of the title as we are effectively doing now.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

How about using romaji only to get first letter, but keep sorting by unicode?
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

And just what use to _anyone_ is sorting by unicode meant to be?
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Well, at least unicode sorting is same as proper アイウエオ order sorting for anime with titles that start in kana (アあイい would be more preferable than current アイあい, but I can live with that until some kind of real japanese sorting is implemented) and it keeps anime with titles that begin with same kanji together.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Wonder how correct AOM 0.6 kanji title sort is... :oops:
hiragana > katakana > kanji
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I'm kinda used to this order, as most dictionary programs don't bother to sort kana together and just sort it same hiragana > katakana > kanji way, which is common for any of unicode/EUC/JIS, etc, AFAIR. Since there are more freedom for options in offline client, you may want to add checkbox "Use first romaji letter for sorting when anime starts in kanji", as well as some addtional options that would sort kana together or separately (あアいイうウエえオお… vs あいうえお…アイウエオ…) and even options to use english alphabet order for japanese names, so everyone can select method they're familiar with. If you really want, you can also add to AoM some free kanji database file, like KANJIDAT and then sort by any well-known dictionary index or such common methods like bushu+stroke count combination etc.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

rowaasr13 wrote:I'm kinda used to this order, as most dictionary programs don't bother to sort kana together and just sort it same hiragana > katakana > kanji way, which is common for any of unicode/EUC/JIS, etc, AFAIR. Since there are more freedom for options in offline client, you may want to add checkbox "Use first romaji letter for sorting when anime starts in kanji", as well as some addtional options that would sort kana together or separately (あアいイうウエえオお… vs あいうえお…アイウエオ…) and even options to use english alphabet order for japanese names, so everyone can select method they're familiar with. If you really want, you can also add to AoM some free kanji database file, like KANJIDAT and then sort by any well-known dictionary index or such common methods like bushu+stroke count combination etc.
Maybe in 0.9 or something. ;)