For My Best Friend

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

DonGato

Post by DonGato »

It's wrong... it should be like this:

That's not a O and should have the [téknolàiz] :D
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Hesu, just tried to search for that in anidb and was defeated by the leet spelling. Got there in the end, by looking at your post again...

Anyway, this is a fun one. Can't mangage a hexagon in unicode I'm afriad.
Title: Texhnolyze
Jap: TEXHNOLYZE [téknolaìz]

Moar fun:
Title: Planetes
Jap: ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ [プラネテス]

Never forget how kewl the japanese are.

Rar

[Edit: Bah! Don beat me by a minute!]
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Let's have EXP add a large fixed font area where we can put every Anime title in

ASCII ART

w00t!
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Rar wrote:Never forget how kewl the japanese are.
I like some of their animes but never said nor will agree that they are kewl or even smarter than us. :D

Forgot about Planetes but Texhnolyze is a clear example of what we should do. That's the 'official' title made by them and should replace any KANJI alternate 'translation' like 'TEXHNOLYZE 製作委員会'.

So I think your proposal of using the 3rd option is the best solution (after all is the OFFICIAL Japanese title).
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I like some of their animes but never said nor will agree that they are kewl or even smarter than us.
No more questions. Of course DonGato is much smarter than those poor japanese sobs, so he knows true names of japanese shows much better that their original authors.

BTW, do you really think 製作委員会 is part of title?
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Skywalka, you've selected worst possible example, heh... I thank you for showing me just how incorrect case mangling could be and to reassuring me that none of options suggested by Rar are correct.

So, tell me, how would you write TEXHNOLYZE without all caps?
Last edited by rowaasr13 on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Rar wrote:Jap: ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ [プラネテス]
Oh, BTW, I always forget to ask why you use square brackets for furigana? I've hardly seen [] in any japanese source. Actually I can't remember if I've seen them even once.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Oh, wait, Rar already answered this question.
Title: Texhnolyze
That's exactly why nobody must mess with case. Will you find your error yourself, Rar? My option is still 4: you stop messing with case and approve changes every time there is reference to official materials.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I opt for choice number 5: rowaasr13 shuts up and we do what we think is best. I think that makes everyone happy.

Wait. Maybe not everyone but everyone I care for. Even DonGato :)
Amour

Post by Amour »

Rar wrote:Can't mangage a hexagon in unicode I'm afriad.
#2B21
(ISO since 28th January 2005)
Elias

Post by Elias »

Amour wrote:
Rar wrote:Can't mangage a hexagon in unicode I'm afriad.
#2B21
(ISO since 28th January 2005)
But it's this code 'hexagon with 9 circles inside' or only plain hexagon (which is also not pure correct).
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

yare yare ...

Well, as we're managing an original Japanese animation database and not English (the interface is English naturaly) then the info should be the same when comparing with any official source of the info, be it inside the video or written on the official web page.
So, if the title is written UPPERCASE as can be seen on AIC's official home page, so should it be in AniDB.
However, if we're going to be ridiculusly perceptive, then the 'Title' field isn't written like 'original Japanese title' and therefore it can't really be interpreted that way so we can insert there whatever we like. I mean there isn't even any implications to what the 'Title' should contain while the 'Synonym/Short Title' page lists the possibilities without being ambiguous.

But since we all know that the 'Title' field should contain the romaji of the kanji, that shouldn't be a problem. Furthermore, the romaji title IS the official Japanese title together with the kanji, it's the same, just in Arabic letters, naturaly, since the Japanese kanji is so fucked up, one could create more than 1, sometimes even more than 4 romaji versions of the kanji, but that's another problem.
Now then, we'll also have the problem of having the title as 'Aisu Kurimu' (no bitching about the correctness or incorrectness of the example, please) or as 'Ice Cream' but since we have inofficially or perhaps even officially agreed to keep the English version, then this isn't a problem as well.
So that leaves us to just not liking CAPS... which is no reason to not use them imo. If the official web site of the anime or that of a company clearly writes it as AKIRA, then God help us, it should be AKIRA in AniDB without any synonyms like 'Akira', I've removed quite some synonyms, where the title is in lower case, but the synonym is in upper case... it's useless... they're the same words, the same letters, Chii doesn't know the difference between CAPS and no caps. So why would it make a difference in the official title? There really isn't any... it's an open database, ppl can add the titles any way they like... just take a look at the producer field (the old one) we have many different variations of the same company... Studio Madhouse, Madhouse Productions, MADHOUSE (which IS the official name) only now we got a standard for producers.. but I myself added some companies in uppercase like GAINAX and XEBEC, but some in lowe case which on the official page show as upper case... simply because I felt it'd look too long and uh.. clumsy like YOMIKO Advertising.. OK, this maybe wasn't the best example.

PS: I don't think determining the official title from banners and from inside the video is a good idea, or at least not in some cases since the 'font' used may be very misleading and confusing. Oh yeah, and the Tattoon Master caps example is void since it's the R1 DVD cover, not the Japanese one.

So my conlusion, if we wan't the official Japanese titles presented correctly, in both kanji and romaji then we use whatever is presented on the official source, if it's CAPS, then we use CAPS, if not, then not, even if the difference is only visual.

Also, please don't use some strange symbols seen on the title banner like with TEXHNOLYZE, if the letter T is drawn as a sword on the banner, would we add that to the official title? Not really as there is no sword sumbol, not that I know of at least. It's pretty simple for TEXHNOLYZE, as seen on the home page it's just written like that... btw TEXHNOLYZE 製作委員会 - the kanji part is not part of the title, it's Production Committee, so the kanji and the romaji title are both the same for TEX... in upper case.

As for rar's 3rd option... I can accept that, but don't really like that, I don't like it just as much as I don't like caps.. there's not really a difference anyway... just that you wouldn't see it in your mylist unless you want your mylist to be displayed in romaji like rowaasr13 :P
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

I don't think any english title in anime is written without caps...
'sides it's not really a TITLE if uppercase isn't used :)

I mean you don't see 'The Prince of Tennis' in the PoT ttile (it goes around the circle with the kanji title, see first opening and others)
nope.. they use THE PRINCE OF TENNIS. Why? Because ALL titles that has english in them are written in uppercase.. even FRIENDS, but would you use FRIENDS as a title for that series? I doubt it.
Of course there's exceptions such as Harry Potter, but writing titles in UPPERCASE is used more widely, in japananime and in english movies and series.

That's imo patheticly silly to add to a db... So why not use add The Prince of Tennis? much easier on the eyes :)

point:
Since most titles are written in UPPERCASE and most other sites, resources, newsmedia and such don't use UPPERCASE (and that most japanese roman characters ARE in fact almost always written in UPPERCASE) why not just add it like most do? The Lord of the Rings or The Lord of The Rings, instead of THE LORD OF THE RINGS ?
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Wlah wrote:I don't think any english title in anime is written without caps...
sure there are...
like ToHeart ~Remember my memories~ - http://www.anime-int.com/works/index.html?prod=2
Di Gi Charat, Petshop of Horrors which can be found at http://www.madhouse.co.jp/
Wlah wrote:I mean you don't see 'The Prince of Tennis' in the PoT ttile (it goes around the circle with the kanji title, see first opening and others)
nope.. they use THE PRINCE OF TENNIS. Why? Because ALL titles that has english in them are written in uppercase.. even FRIENDS, but would you use FRIENDS as a title for that series? I doubt it.
But the title of PoT is Tennis no Ouji-sama aka the romaji of the official kanji, we're not talking about English titles atm and those should remain u ntouched unless written so in R1 DVD's and web pages, even if it was just an example it wasn't the best one :P

As for the hollywood media, the original titles are in lowercase, if the Japanese make them uppercase, then let them, these titles don't really concern us anyway.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

nwa wrote:As for the hollywood media, the original titles are in lowercase, if the Japanese make them uppercase, then let them, these titles don't really concern us anyway.
What Wlah tried to make you understand is that as they do a conversion from 'proper case' to UPPERCASE why can't we do a conversion from 'UPPERCASE' to 'proper case' as every anime site out there do.