Something to organize different encodes of sam grp [OLD REQ]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Something to organize different encodes of sam grp [OLD REQ]

Post by Skywalka »

Hi there,

take a look at the a4e releases. They started to re-do their encodes in h264, or publish their current series in both divx 5.2.1 and h264. Additionally, they started re-doing Tenchi Muyo GXP with new subtitles because the ones they used for their first encoding were close-caption subs. A good example is Tenchi Muyo GXP Ep 26 - that one has already been re-done once, so it is currently v2. When a4e finishes their new encoding run, all the encodes with the bad subs will be the v1 ones _except_ ep 26, where it is v1 AND v2, while the good subs will be in all v2 except in ep26, where it will be v3.

Concerning the different codec encodes, there are currently some series that have v2 and v3 published back to back within days. Before, this meant there was an error in the encode, the file is deprecated and removed from the usual anidb display when you open the EP tree - BUT that is now wrong. Both encodes are ok, since one is good DivX and the other is good h264, EXCEPT if there really is an error and one of the files has to be re-done. Then it gets really confusing because we end up with v4, v5 and on and on and on if there are things that maybe need to be fixed in both encodes.

I guess there is a tracker item for this somewhere. I just don't use the tracker. And I posted this before :-)

Maybe someone could give me an update on ideas. I thought about it for a couple of months now and I think the only way to keep things in order is to get "encoding - runs" into AniDB, which could be marked with small logos, like a small "1" and "2" (upto x) which would be added as another small icon to every file, together with the versions.

I know it is getting more and more confusing with this, but you could get rid of the problems with this by just displaying "encoding runs" and the logos IF there really are "runs" for a group for a series, just like the censor logos are used at the moment.
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

just give then the same version and add the codec in the comment.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

e-Viper wrote:just give then the same version and add the codec in the comment.
sounds reasonable.

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

errm...

How's that supposed to work? I know we only catalogue what we share but honestly, do you think if you would not know what happened in the past with all the encodes by a certain group that if you expand the EP tree and only the _latest_ version is shown that you would be able to

- spot that there are different encodes by a group
- find out which files are the right ones without a gazillion clicks?

Let's say I am a total stranger to Gad Guard and try to get the h264 version.

Give me a simple way to do that.

First of all a4e has not that many users. Second of all the codecs are not always entered into anidb. and finally you only get the latest version shown. Basically, you'd only get the divx version in the list at the moment. For the h264, you'd have to expand the tree for every single episode. Because the info for the files is often incomplete, you won't even be able to find out what the difference between the encodes is at the moment.

It's very easy to say "just do this and that" but that only works if someone really takes the time to add something in a way that it is _possible_ to spot the difference. At the moment there isn't. If I wouldn't have visited the a4e website, I would've never found out why the heck I was unable to play the file.

And especially because AniDB is user-driven: if the user who took the time to add all the special version-rules to the different encodes, I guess he would be pretty pissed if somebody got the files earlier and he'd have to creq everything.

Not to mention that all hell breaks loose if there is a re-encode of one of the files. Let's say h264 encode is v1, divx 5.1.1. is v2. Now what happens if EP 3 had an error in h264 and EP 8 had an error in divx 5.1.1.? How do you tell the user that of the "v3" files he get's shown AND if he wants a pure h264 encode for the Anime, that he has to expand the tree for EP8 and click the v1 to get that file and not v2 or v3, while for EP 3 he can click v3.

I don't think this sounds reasonable. I already lost track of the ZX encode of Shinseiki Evangelion - what's 2003 renewal, what's not? What is a new encode of the new encode and what not? The comments are basically bull (sorry) and since I did not follow the ZX website, I currently have a bunch o' files and will never know whether I was currently watching the 2003 renewal or the old version.

I say the current idea to get control over this is crooked. It might not be that important, but adding different versions, comments, and codecs to files ends up in hours of clicking. If there is just _one_ inconsitent comment, I usually get confused, and won't ever be shure what's what.

:-)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I see your point, however implementing your request requires a considerable amount of time and would also increase the complexity of the file add/edit pages.
I don't think it's worth the trouble for the few cases where it would actually be usefull.
That's why I think that file comments are the best way to handle this for now.

BYe!
EXP
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Skywalka wrote: - find out which files are the right ones without a gazillion clicks?
What clicks? comment is on hover
Skywalka wrote: Second of all the codecs are not always entered into anidb. and finally you only get the latest version shown. Basically, you'd only get the divx version in the list at the moment.
You have to live with what you set your profile to (/me want option to hide spanish subs atm :twisted: ). if you choose to not see a certain type you have to click additionaly
Skywalka wrote: Because the info for the files is often incomplete, you won't even be able to find out what the difference between the encodes is at the moment.

It's very easy to say "just do this and that" but that only works if someone really takes the time to add something in a way that it is _possible_ to spot the difference. At the moment there isn't. If I wouldn't have visited the a4e website, I would've never found out why the heck I was unable to play the file.

And especially because AniDB is user-driven: if the user who took the time to add all the special version-rules to the different encodes, I guess he would be pretty pissed if somebody got the files earlier and he'd have to creq everything.
who will fill your new flag you think? New fields are always overlooked. the simpliest field to fill is lenght but still it's sometimes forgotten in new files. Garbage in Garbage out nothing you can do about it. If people fill out the flag they can also add a comment

I'm not saying that a new flag woudn't be a cleaner solution but in the end space will run out.
Comments seem to work for subtitles so prolly they'll work for codec-versions also.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I am fine with the answer EXP gave me - the programming effort is too high for such a minor problem and at the moment stuff like this can be coped with via comments.

Since AniDB will change over time I will get back to you on this problem in a year or two earliest :-)

It's not that pressing and not a real bug at the moment.

I am still happy that we got generic files :-)
Tomynocker

Post by Tomynocker »

it would be nice to have the possibility to make one click (or to enable it in the profile) so all the additional infos get shown as well.... like codecs, bitrates, etc. it doesn't have to be icons.
Like this, ppl with big screens could have it more comfortable. Except more traffic it won't harm the server hat much since it's only a few bytes more/line....maybeeven including the "edit request" link.

this wouldhelp adding additional info that's missing because right now we have to open another page before we can even see if something's missing...and also the edit link is harder to use like this.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

1. Certain fields are automatically filled for you by AOM.

I usually add the exact length of a file, but dont bother with any hashes, and then immidiatly after adding it run AOM on it and have it make an auto creq.

If AOM was to automatically CREQ the codec used (it seemed to have functionality for automatically identifing it already) then it could take care of that.

2. I would recommend you change your settings to NOT hide older versions.

3. As for the "strings". nothing for me to add :)