For My Best Friend

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Rar
AniDB Staff

For My Best Friend

Post by Rar »

The darling rows. has been doing lots of 'this title should be in caps' creqs recently, so I thought I'd just have a quick look through mylist and find all the titles that are in roman lettering originally, and write down their 'correct' case.

3x3 EYES
A.D. POLICE
AKIa
AKIRA
AMON SAGA
APPLESEED
APPLESEED (2004)
Archetypes Forces
ARMITAGE III
AVENGER
BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakai Kami
BLAME!
BLOOD: THE LAST VAMPIRE
BUBBLEGUM CRISIS!
BUBBLEGUM CRASH
BURN-UP
BURN-UP W
Choujikuu Yousai MACROSS
...and then I got bored

So what (apart from the fact I have an odd selection of anime) does this mean... Basically, that most of the titles in anidb in roman letters 'should' be in capitals. The japanese use single case scripts, they tend to stick to single case roman, except when being ClaMp cRazY CaPs cOOL

So, options:
1) rows. creqs all the titles in anidb that have roman letters to all caps.
2) I deny all of rows. creqs
3) He adds fullwidth roman titles in the 'kanji' field, with [furigana] if they give it.

I'm for option 3. Thoughts?

Rar
Headi

Post by Headi »

I'm generally against capslock. I always have to imagine (can't help it) that those words are shouted at me. Would fit for BASTARD!! .. but I guess it's either none or all. In which case, I'm against capslock ;)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I'm growing tired of what's accurate instead of what is nice and common.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Why you think that all titles need to be written in capitals? I don't get it.

I am trying to remember but I guess I saw lowercase letters in Tokyo... and I can't remember seeing those animes you mentioned having all uppercase letters on the DVD covers I saw... but I might be wrong.

I will be following this thread. Quite interesting :-)
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I'm only requesting CAPS TITLES for titles that I can prove with quote from offsite or anime itself where both upper and lower case is used. So I'm for 4: You check that this quote is indeed exists and then grant creq.

@DonGato: Primary names is ONLY for "what is correct". Synonyms were created for "Nice and common" and that's where all niceness belongs. BTW, chinese translation of titles are much more "common" than any english could possible be. Shall we replace all titles with chinese? What is "common" for you is not necessaryly "common" for everyone.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

rowaasr13 wrote:What is "common" for you is not necessaryly "common" for everyone.
Can you repeat that for yourself as everyone here said exactly what you don't.

AniDB is not a chinese database, is an english one. Like it or not.

Ohh, and 'necessarily' is the 'correct' one. :lol:
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Oh, and I thought that anime is japanese product and this DB is about anime, but it turned out to be english one? Yeah, right. Anyway, filed description reads "Official Japanese Title (Romaji, Hepburn)" and not "Nice and common for DonGato", so I will continue to fill official and not "common" titles here.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

As I said to you in another thread, if you love the official names then use Kanji. There is nothing 'official' in romaji translations so far.

You can keep filling CREQs, but as rar said will be most probably denied.

And you still think I'm the only one not liking all caps. Most people here answered that they don't like that. The only one saying the contrary is YOU!

Just look at AnimeNFO or ANN and you will see what people like. ;)

After all we're not rowaasr13DB. :lol:
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Official Japanese Title (Romaji, Hepburn)

I don't see why I should give up until this will be changed to "Title as DonGato prefers it (Romaji, or maybe not)". If you need what people like, petition for "What People Like (Any Kind of Script)" field.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Yeah, and what you continue to not understand rows. is that anything that's mearly a typographic feature doesn't have any particular 'correct' way of being transcribed. I mean, next you're going to be complaining that the romaji is in the wrong colour, that such-and-such a title is clearly in red lettering, and the romaji in anidb is black. And the wrong size.

So, to clarify, rows. you're for option 1? Just to be really unscientific... of the 50 titles I looked at before getting bored, 18 had some kind of roman lettering, and 16 of these would be 'correctly' ToUpper()ed. So, extrapolate across the 2904 titles in the database, that's about 929 titles that should be caps. Now if you go through the database and compile a list of the 'correct' case for every title, please feel free to post it here, as that would be easier than doing it piecemeal with creqs. Until then, I don't feel any particular need to pander to your misunderstandings.

(Oh, for skywalka, if you want to go and look for the logo of any of my examples above you'll see they are single case roman... except the two that aren't)

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

You use some starnge logic there, Rar. As I explained, I mainly CREQ things I've either seen myself or checked on offsite, so it is precisely the reason why I do request in chunks, just like any other AniDB user.

Of course it is not possible for me to check entire list without actually watching most of it, and I doubt you don't know it, so I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish by requesting "a list of the 'correct' case for every title".

What's next? Will you ask every user to stop CREQing until they compile full list of all fixes for every title? May I ask you to stop doing MODEDITs until you compile such a list yourself?

If you have anything against changes I request, you are as free as myself to go online or fetch copy of anime and provide counter-proof for what I request. So far I have one revoked and one denied CREQ which were revoked and denied exactly like this - moderator (nwa, AFAIR) spent his time to find infromation that I wasn't aware of at time of CREQ and presented it to me, showing that my requests were clearly wrong. Without information and just because "you don't feel need" your reasons are not of a someone who is dedicated to filling DB with correct data (as every mod should be, as I understand).
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

There is only a difference in asthetic value between Naruto and NARUTO. How this difference results in "incorrect" data as you have implied rowaasr13 is actually illogical because there isn't anything wrong with it data wise because it has been properly romanized. The real question lies in whether we want to have such titles in all uppercase. Personally, I would prefer not to have such titles in all uppercase because I don't feel it asthetically pleasing. Additionally, having AOM autogenerate filenames in uppercase is not something I want either. Perhaps we can post a poll to see what people visiting the forum like?
Amour

Post by Amour »

I don't want caps.
I prefer : Bastard!!, Akira, Burn-up, ...
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

@Ultima: next version of AoM supposedly will have ability to choose any name for renaming. So this is not a reason to put offical title anywhere else than in "Official Title" field and replace it with "aesthetic" title.

@Amour: you like what you've used for. If you go to any random english anime forum and ask what people like more "Juubei Ninpuuchou" or "Ninja Scroll", I'm pretty sure people will vote for the second. This won't automagically transform it into official japanese title, though.

I guess I'll check some of positions from your list, Rar.

AKIRA:
http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/akira/index2.html
Top left corner: the official website of AKIRA
All on-site references are AKIRA as well.
Just for fun I also googled japanese net a little and couldn't even find a single instance of AKIRA being Akira. All "Akira"'s found were personal names.

APPLESEED:
http://www.a-seed.jp/en.html (I'll even check english page for you)
Title: the APPLESEED official site
and copyright: (c) 2004 Masamune Shirow / Seishinsha / APPLESEED Film partners

Those guys obviously know what they write, specifying entire title in caps in middle of sentence with mixed case, aren't they? Isn't it just case of "entire site with latin in all caps" or something like that. For APPLESEED I've even checked both official japanese and english sites, so it is exactly like how authors would like to call their product in english materials.

If caps is only "typographic feature", lets use only katakana or hiragana in japanese titles - it's only a "typographic feature" too after all.

So, now, please explain me:
1) Why someone else's aesthetic sense must have anything to do with what is "official title" and override what authors say?
2) Why you are trying to get those "aesthetic" titles into "Official Title" field so desperately and why they can't stay in synonyms? After all that's exactly what synonyms were made for - to keep all "common", but unofficial titles.

Please refrain from phrases "I don't like it", "I don't feel like" or "it's only typographical feature". Use only facts that you can prove with references.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Maybe is beter to rename "Official Title" to "Common Romaji Name" so rowaasr13 doesn't get confused of what AniDB mods/users want there.