Companies and their categories

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

nwa
AniDB Staff

Companies and their categories

Post by nwa »

As some of you may have noticed, we now have a new producer/studio/company system which for the first time sets a standard to studio names and allows to browse for other animes the company was involved with.
ATM, regular users can't add new companies/individuals, but they can add the existing ones to animes and well, the majority of studios have already been added, there are some missing.

But that feature isn't quite perfect yet...
Before I leave till Sunday, I'll open this discussion thread, althoug rar said he would do it himself. :P

Currently, companies are divided into 3: Company, Individual and Organization.
Company doesn't really need explanation, individuals are Makoto Shinkai for example and since we also have an 'Original Story' category, also ppl like Fujishima Kosuke and Takahashi Rumiko.
For organization... I don't really know... perhaps groups like gimik? Ask EXP what he ment by that :P

Also, synonyms and short names are allowed for companies, but it would be better that the short names would be displayed by default, so instead of Anime International Company we'll see AIC, instead of Another Push Pin Planning Company we'll see A.P.P.P. etc.

The problematic companies are the ones who have changed their names like SME Visual Works aka Sony Visual Works changed their name into Aniplex in 2003 or when 2 companies merge together like Dentsu and Pioneer are now Geneon etc... (although.. Dentsu still counts as a separate company even now as they're behind Bleach) Just a quick and dirty synonym and description fix, or should we add.. uh.. parent companies like it's done with groups...

Now for the real pain in the ass... appointing companies to the right categories for an animes...
Currently there are 5 categories: Financial Production (should it need rewording?), Animation Production, Animation Co-Production, Music Production and Original Story.
Now this is all fine, but what happens when a comapny was the animation producer and financial producer at the same time? Currently you'd either add 2 entries for the same company, or leave out 1 production part, both suck imo.
Also rar has suggested a 'Undefined Production' :lol: it may sound weird, but I agree, instead of giving false info just set it to unknown.
And that brings to the biggest problem, how/where to get CORRECT information regarding the companies involvment... ANN is certainly 1 place but... uh.. it's quite messy and often incorrect... they have like sometimes 2 instances of the same company but with a slightly different name like APPP vs A.P.P.P. - they have animes listed for both. And they sometimes give false credits to companies.

And uh.. that's it for now, rar can take over :D
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

As I understand when checking japanese source (say, credits in OP)

製作/制作 = financical
原作 = original story
and アニメション制作 and 音楽制作, obviously, are animation and music production respectively.
Right?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

rows. beat me to it. Random credit listing, to fill in some gaps... yotoden credits (from video):
企画 (Planning) 日本ビクタ (Nippon Victor?)
プロデューサー (Producer) MVC // J.C.STAFF
プロモーションプロデューサー (Promotion Producer) あいどる (Idol?)
原案 (Original Story) 山崎 理 (English says 'Takeshi Narumi'...)
...then moar people, then at the end:
制作協力 (..er.. 'work collaboration'... co-production maybe?) J.C.STAFF
製作 (Production) 日本ビクタ // MTV

For Ultima Kiddy Grade credits (from: http://www.kiddygrade.com/staff_cast.html )
原作 (Original Work) gimik // GONZO
監督 (Director) 後藤 圭二 (GOTOU Keiji)
シリーズ構成/脚本 (Series Organisation/Scenario) きむら ひでふみ (KIMURA Hidefumi)
キャラクターデザイン (Character Design) 門之園 恵美 (KADONOSONO Megumi)
制作 (Work) GONZO DIGIMATION
製作 (Production) GOTT
...then moar people

Oh, found this on the AIC english website a while ago, it's quite fun, though blatantly oversimplified in places (and that budgeting section is just wrong...):
http://www.aicanime.com/introanime/index.html

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Oh, BTW, what about japanese names? Should I add them as aliases, wait until special field is added or not add them at all?
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Heh, another inconsistency: all individual names should be specified in same standard for japanese familyname-first name order. Takahashi Rumiko is correct, but Makoto Shinkai is not - Shinkai is family name.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

corrected the name

furthermore...
THIS is a screenshot from Solar&Faith's Kujibiki Unbalance where they've translated 制作 to be animation production...
which would make sense when looking at, for example the Staff for this hentai.
I mean, why would they list the financial producers under a different kanji...
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Ok, then 制作 = animation, unless there's another separate アニメション制作, most likely.

BTW, should I add mangaka's names if anime shows "based on manga" in credits?
Rafal

Post by Rafal »

Just to confirm:

制作 = animation producer (drawing cels, etc.)
制作協力 = animation co-producer
製作 = financial producer (coordination, sponsoring, etc.)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Another data dump from end credits (RG Veda):

原作 CLAMP
Gensaku: ...guess (also various individual credits for the members)

音楽 NICK WOOD
Ongaku: ...

音楽制作 SYN SOUND DESIGN
Ongaku Seisaku: ...

音響制作 現
Onkyou Seisaku: Gen (?)

製作協力 うさぎ屋
Seisaku Kyouryoku: Usagi Ya (?) [EP1 only]

製作協力 スタジオシグナル
Seisaku Kyouryoku: Studio Signal [EP2 only]

協力 月刊ウイングス編集部
Kyouryoku: Gekkan Wings Henshuubu

制作 アニメイト フィルム
Seisaku: Animate Film

製作・著作 ムービック ソニー・ミューシック・エンタテインメント
Seisaku/Chosaku: MOVIC Sony Music Entertainment

I added studio signal, but left a couple of the others. We don't have generic 協力 (assistance) credit, nor 著作 (which I take to indicate publication/copyright holders). Is it important to distingush Animate Film and ANIMATE? Sony Music Entertainment and SME Visual Works? What happens when the credits change ep-to-ep? Lots left to resolve...

Rar