Showtime Schedule [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

-whatever-

Showtime Schedule [DENIED]

Post by -whatever- »

okay, this is the only reason i signed up, now how about you guys making a showtime schedule which shows when all the anime shows are aired. for instance like these ppl have done check it out. now, you could also maybe connect them to speed subbers or subbers generally, this way you can quickly find out 1: whats going on in japan, 2: find out who is subbing it/speedsubbing it. the point about speed subs is of course that you can follow the show as it is released, without any much waiting. it would be a great idea if you could make an independent section for these things. however, if a similar option already exist i apologize for your trouble.

(once again, sorry that i posted this in the wrong section)
jfs

Post by jfs »

It's already possible to add air-dates to episodes, also episodes that haven't aired yet. It's just a matter of people actually doing it.
-whatever-

Post by -whatever- »

hmm, yes you have a point there. however, the way its done here is only that you can add, i guess its called generic files(?), them onto already existing anime series, i dont see it beeing done in a way where you can sort out all the shows that are currently airing in a neat ordered way. if you saw the link, you see its very ordered neat and nice, they have a week table that shows the days and time when the shows are aired. also what would be nice is to integrate this feature, so for your anime list there is an additional ETA so you can see when the next show is aired. additionally you could put estimated ETA's on speedsubbers, they are usually so reliable that you can time them. besides this is a great way to get to know all the new anime's that are currently showing. thats perfect for ppl who has seen 'everything'. i do believe this forum has some kind of animelist of shows airing through the different seasons and which subbers are doing them, and it would be nice if you could integrate it in the fashion i described. the database would become more interactive.

just imagine you could make a timetable where you can add anime shows you are following, one by when its aired and one by when its estimated to be speedsubbed. then you can always follow this time table -or- it will notift you, and with links to the fansubbers, you can dl their torrents or whatever. also for shows that are fansubbed, but no longer aired (i.e. its finished), one could make a time table for their estimated releases. now, i know, you arent supposed to have expectations to when they are releasing whatever, since its their spare time and blah blah blah. we all know how it works, right? i never intend to offend them by this either. however popular shows makes reliable fansubbers (usually speedsubbers), thus there is always someone that is reliable enough to make such a time table. there are ratings for subbers, both of quality and of reliablity (animenfo), so why not make it more presentable in a time table form?

im just elaborating on the initial thought here, since this idea can be taken a few steps further. also this shouldn't need too much energy of the ppl who are contributing to this database, you just need the ususal airing times, and the ususal release times. thats it. besides there is a limited number of current shows airing, and a more limited amount of them beeing fansubbed.

hmm. on a side note, anyone knows of statistics showing the amount of anime beeing subbed at every given time?
CheesyP18

Post by CheesyP18 »

ok
#1. There is NEVER a guarantee of when an episode is released, and even if it is a speedsubber, most people already have an idea of the approximate time it will be released, say a few days. Then people already know and there is no need for release dates that will most likely be inaccurate anyways.

#2. Why would we need release dates? Do you want to find out the date an episode is aired and then go immediately download a raw for it? I believe the only thng that matters to most of us here are when the fansubs are released and like I said before, releases are usually not done in a timely fashion.

Sorry to break up your suggestion, but it seems kinda pointless...
-whatever-

Post by -whatever- »

1: i disagree that most ppl would know every speedsubber that sub whatever anime out there. the point is to make this as a reference to ppl in search for new anime. it would be a quick and easy reference. the reason why is that i believe that not many ppl have the time to follow every show that is airing and at the same time you have all the other finished anime. many ppl would perhaps find my idea useful, where as others will find this redundant. thats how it always is. besides, this is also a good way to monitor the reliability of the fansubbers, because they ARE reliable to some extent, so much so i believe it would be a point to have this suggestion.

2: you've got a good point there, hehe. i dunno, maybe because its cool, its interesting to see some trivial info about the anime you are watching /considering wathcing. it is, admit it :). if we take a look at anidb, they have some apparently trivial info, take for instance the resolution of a given episode. i mean, whats the point of that? of course im intelligent to see that ppl on anidb have made this for a reason i cannot see yet, thus for me its trivial. but you can say the same about having the air times of anime. for some it would be trivial, but there is one good reason to have it, it makes as a 'ground zero' point to measure the reliability of fansubbers or speedsubbers, i guess that would be more correct.

and no, dont worry, i believe in my idea, keep 'em coming :)

hmm why not, differetiate between speedsubber and regular subbers in the anidb. you know there is a section that shows who is subbing the anime you are looking up, if you differentiate between them, that would also be a good reference for ppl who wants their anime subbed as quickly as possible after airing.
CheesyP18

Post by CheesyP18 »

quick and easy reference for newbies? Does anyone really want that? Its too much of a hassle for the admins to be putting out new info just so some newbies have a faster track to leechdom...

reliability? Well, each group is different and I would say that there is NO group out there that is reliable and keeps a timely schedule. Its impossible considering the organization of people online that have real lives...

differentiation between speedsubbers and fansubbers? That would first bring bad bad attention to AniDB with maybe members of a group bashing us because we called them speedsubbers...and who's to say if they are speedsubbers or not? Surely not us.

Its just too much work for so little accomplishment.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=latestanimes
that lists the new shows that start airing/are released, it doesn't follow and list the process of airing, which would require constant maintance to update the list and I'm pretty sure none of the current mods are willing to do that, we'd need a whole new mod division for that, I somehow doubt that EXP would agree to that as thre are other places to check that kind of information like the page you provided... but who knows :roll:
-whatever-

Post by -whatever- »

omg, how could i miss that one?? well this is a great piece of info

(Haru wo Daite Ita, wtf gay anime?? oh well... lol why cant they do yuri (lesbian i presume) anime? a bit discriminating dont you think? 'nuff spam)

anyway, yeah, unless there is an extensive amount of extra work to pull this off, i understand that this can become difficult. however i guess its possible to collect a certain amount of sources and be able to rely on that only (i.e. for instance the entire airing schedule for tokyo TV from their official site -or- narutofan.com which provides excellent info on... yup you guessed it, naruto)

quick and easy reference for newbies? hehe, maybe, but i think of anidb as a good reference for newbies in the first place, unless you think of google as a newbe's anime guide :). with all do respect! its more of a compliment really, since the info and navigation is very good and easy, but also it has info for the more experienced ppl (hash stuff etc.) this site is the perfect link between anime<->fansubbers. where as ANN for instance does more of an IMDB'ish kind of thing.

and yeah you have a point in that that site and prolly others i dont know of, already have good references for such, but then again this would be a step to make anidb more powerful, versatile etc. so that even more ppl will use it. you know like becoming a microsoft, if you know what i mean :P.

well, i believe ive made my points fairly well now, you now have an idea of its possibilities and examples of how you can integrate it into the anidb its versatility and so on.

keep up the good work ppl, this is a great site.
CheesyP18

Post by CheesyP18 »

I might have this wrong...but I dont believe AniDB wants to have any kind of large gain in users...because that attracts more attention..and you know where that goes. :arrow:
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

useless feature imho.
nwa wrote:http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=latestanimes
that lists the new shows that start airing/are released, it doesn't follow and list the process of airing, which would require constant maintance to update the list and I'm pretty sure none of the current mods are willing to do that,
right guess. me will NEVER EVER maintain sucha list. there is enough other work at anidb than to care about such a useless feature. *looks at the lame db entries list* ^^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

*slaps Deridiot with 100t of Kiddy Grade raving*

That's supposed to be useful for us mods! :)
-whatever-

Post by -whatever- »

might have this wrong...but I dont believe AniDB wants to have any kind of large gain in users...because that attracts more attention..and you know where that goes.
mmm... no, apart from that their server may be overloaded, or something like that im not sure where you are going with this. arent there alot of uses in the first place? and even more non-users who use anidb as an anime reference. its not like anidb tries to hide themselves.[/quote]