Website

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

lucky644

Website

Post by lucky644 »

Is it just me, or has the site been reaaaaaaallllllllyyyy slow the last few days....are you guys having hosting problems?

Yesterday the site would barely load.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

it's only at some times of the day. seems you check at the wrong ones :P
anyway nothign we can do about it atm. live with it
lucky644

Post by lucky644 »

Der Idiot wrote:it's only at some times of the day. seems you check at the wrong ones :P
anyway nothign we can do about it atm. live with it
I've been using the site for a long long time and it just has never happened before.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

because the problem started to appear in complete form only 3-4 weeks ago. thats why.

it's being worked or rather discussed on and thats the most i'm gonna say.
lucky644

Post by lucky644 »

Der Idiot wrote:anyway nothign we can do about it atm. live with it
Der Idiot wrote:it's being worked or rather discussed on and thats the most i'm gonna say.
Holy contradiction batman! :p
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

being worked != atm (at the moment)

The meaning is that you don't have a solution now or soon. It's being discussed, yes.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Can't say anything about entire site, but mylist reports generate timeouts pretty much often for me.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Then we should disable them for a while until we find a solution to keep them.
Maybe the current ones we have strain a lot the database with all the goodies they use.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I don't see how "show all corrupted" report can generate more strain than simply expanding all episodes in mylist. Actually it should generate much less strain - that's the point of reports, as I understand, as people do not have to retrieve all the needless data manually over and over.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

The point is those automated things make things easier for people so they start to use them more and more. I never cared to do the same manually. Anyway, I thought you were talking about Mylist Exports. :P
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

The two pages that take ages to load -- and occasionally time out -- for me are the mylist reports, and Anime Hint recommendations. ...though I suppose it might just be because I have somewhat large collection... -_-;
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Ah, I see. Well, those are already not on-demand, but scheduled to run when there are low load anyway, so those should be no problem either.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

...and don't you even dare to think of disabling mylist reports. They *are* far too useful. :D
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

The schedule thing doesn't help much as there are each day less time of low load so in fact they strain the server while someone is using it. That low load excuse doesn't help anymore.
egg

Post by egg »

DonGato wrote:The schedule thing doesn't help much as there are each day less time of low load so in fact they strain the server while someone is using it. That low load excuse doesn't help anymore.
It wouldn't have to be a schedule, just make it a queued item rather than an action that happens on demand. Part of the problem now is that people probably are trying to do it at the same time, also if it does not return quickly many people would hit refresh which just adds more work to the server...

If they are queued then they can be run individually rather than trying to hog resources also they can be run at a lower priority so they have less of an impact on the system. I think this is what happens with the exports because I have requested an exports at different times and they have been finished in just a few minutes (not the up to 24h as advertised).

Unless exp can do something about them, I do think the mylist reports should be temporarily disabled.