Advent Children but not Spirit Within?

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Amour

Advent Children but not Spirit Within?

Post by Amour »

Why is there in the database:
Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children
Animatrix

but not:
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

:?:
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Dunno. I thought it was in. Maybe nobody added due to suckage. Can't see why it'd've'n deleted.

Rar
Amour

Post by Amour »

Ok, I added it:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... e&aid=3146

There are Japanese people involved in the production of the movie, just like Animatrix, so no reason to skip it.

Feel free to complete the AniDB database with a picture, a description and files.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Pure CG that's too far from regular anime-style - plus too big US-involvement to overlook this. That's what lead to its previous removal (AFAIR, that is). At that time Advent Children was left in because of its more obvious anime-style.

ANN lists it as "not anime but related". (Just mentioning this to prevent the ANN-link from being used as a justification)
Amour wrote:There are Japanese people involved in the production of the movie, just like Animatrix, so no reason to skip it.
Since Animatrix is borderline aswell, it doesn't really serve as a good example.

Just my opinion: While it's a technically impressive movie (and nice entertainment) it doesn't really fit to the same category as most other animes. I'm in favor of removing it.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Well, I've seen the 25 minutes preview of Advent Children (Nobuo Uematsu was here), and it is a 100% CG work.

So if one removes Spirits Within, one shall remove Advent Children as well.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I agree with Amour.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

so appleseed 2004, run=dim, geisters, wonderful days and some others need to be wiped as well... :roll:

do i need to say i'm against that?...
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

From what I've seen in WD, while enviroment is CG, chars themselves are either drawn or cell-shaded, producing normal anime-like graphics. AFAIR, Appleseed is the same.
Amour

Post by Amour »

cell-shaded *is* CG (aka Computer Graphic)
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

rowaasr13 wrote:or cell-shaded, producing normal anime-like graphics.
Yes, I know.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

The animation process most probably will evolve. Will we stop to index new shows because of this?! 8O
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

I didn't talk about cg in general, but rather this one specific case of a 3dcg movie whose character-style is far from regular anime-style. I really don't know what's so hard to understand in here.

It's perfectly fine to argue that Advent Children fails at using anime style, but nobody ever suggested that all CG should be removed just because it's CG... -_-;
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't agree with that. The animation was done like the other named series, and some of the people involved with the project were from know Japanese companies. The process is similar, just that the purpose and result is different. They want to imitate real people but they are still animating and they have Japanese people/companies in their team.

In that case (your way of classifying it) I think Animatrix should be promptly removed.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

I can't really say anything about Animatrix, I'd leave it in, but Advent Children is definitely in anime style, the cahracters are in anime style, pointy hair, etc. and an anime may very well be fully in CG, animation or CG animatio, it's still animation
As for Spirits Within, just take a look at the characters, definitely not the same as some Disney shit, but also different from anime, in other words, they tried to make the characters as close to real life as possible. Also, afaik, it was originally created in English sub and premiered in the US.

so imo Spirits Within = not a valid entry; Advent Children = valid entry; Animatrix = ?
Amour

Post by Amour »

nwa wrote:Also, afaik, it was originally created in English sub and premiered in the US.
Give me a Ro
Give me a Bo
Give me a Te
Give me a Ku
...Robotech !