"Login Failed" all the time...even with option &qu

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

suisei

"Login Failed" all the time...even with option &qu

Post by suisei »

I'm getting the "login failed" error all the time (actually totally randomly, I haven't figured out the pattern yet if there is one at all) even when I have the option "remember me" checked. Does it have to do with expiring cookies? If so, can they be made to never expire? I'm using Firefox on WinXP, and I have the cookies option set to allow sites to set cookies (and not only for the originating site) and to keep them until they expire.

In case there are some ppl now bitching about repeat posting of a known problem: I have done a search and read through tons of stuff pertaining to login problems, but none of them looked like the problem I'm having here...
egg

Post by egg »

Are you logging in from more than one computer? If so, this might help: cookie valid for more than one comp [DONE].
suisei

Post by suisei »

no, I'm not logging in from different computers... not even with different browsers on the same computer, or as different user on the same computer... that's the point I don't understand... it works now when browsing through the different areas of AniDB, and even 10 minutes later, and another minute later login fails again while I'm in the middle of what I've been doing for the last 10 minutes.......

I have found that thread you mentioned too, and I mentioned before, that I haven't found any thread that seems to outline the exact problem I'm having
egg

Post by egg »

Sorry to ask the obvious, but I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem... You don't have a cookie/temp file cleaner running in the background, do you? I have one that runs just before my backups and the symptoms are the same.

Have you tried a different computer/browser to see if the same thing happens there?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hmm,

I don't have the code at hand atm, but it could be that anidb logs you out automatically once your ip changes. So if you're using a multi-homed proxy server (might be a transparent server, so you might not even know about it) that might lead to random logouts.
However, checking the remember me option should fix that.
So I don't have any idea what might cause your problems atm.

BYe!
EXP
Jake030

Post by Jake030 »

I'm actually noticing this myself over the last few days. I had been
logged in for months without needing to login again but over the
last week I've been getting the same error randomly. I can be
browsing the site normally and then it will happen out of nowhere.
I can't think of anything that has been changed to cause this.
I'm also using Firefox.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Jake030 wrote:I'm actually noticing this myself over the last few days. I had been
I'm also using Firefox.
are you using the "remember me" option?

BYe!
EXP
Jake030

Post by Jake030 »

exp wrote:
Jake030 wrote:I'm actually noticing this myself over the last few days. I had been
I'm also using Firefox.
are you using the "remember me" option?

BYe!
EXP
I've been using that. It seems it has stopped anyway. It may have been
related to having a few different browsers open and having both logged
in ?
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Jake030 wrote:It may have been related to having a few different browsers open and having both logged in ?
Sure. If you want to use auto-login in more than one browser (regardless of whether they're on the same computer or not), you have to use the extended login form* and activate the "keep cookie" option.

*) Click on the "*"-link next to the nick/pass-fields