Better than GSpot

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Amour

Better than GSpot

Post by Amour »

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a better tool than GSpot. This tool is outdated (no update for too long). I want something that can tell me the video length, size, bitrate, codec, ... for avi, ogg and mkv.

Thanks
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't know of any "replacement" tool for GSpot but I use VideoInspector for MKV files. IMO is quite limited and not to the par of GSpot. A shame this is not updated for MKV. :?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

There's a beta of GSpot 3 available since a few weeks, and apart from a bug that makes it crash with a GPF when you close it, it works fine and reliably determines e.g. the play length of certain vbr tracks which it failed to analyze properly before. And IIRC, the author does plan to add support for Matroska.

In the meantime, the Matroska Shell addon should help, no? ^^
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

virtualdub mod is still the best imo, although it sometimes has troubles with opening certain .mkv fies, don't remember what's the cause of that and it sometimes gives weird audio bitrate results for ogg vorbis
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

VDubMOD is slow because it has to parse OGM/MKV files and doesn't support VOBSUB tracks so can't open those files.
CheesyP18

Post by CheesyP18 »

MediaInfo is better than GSpot if you're looking for something that is pretty similar

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/

supports containers, if you were wondering
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Oh, it have command line interface - good. Maybe I finally found tool that for my scripts that will work same as AVInfo for .avi.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Elberet wrote:There's a beta of GSpot 3 available since a few weeks
Wasn't able to find anything like that.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

The tool of my choice for identifying video attributes has been avicodec for quite a while now. The latest version (1.2beta) supports AVI and OGG, it opens MKV but cannot yet correctly identify the streams in there. As the tool is under active support (latest version only two weeks old) I am hopeful about full MKV support in the near future.

As for Matroska containers, my current workaround is to split up the container using MKVextractGUI and then apply avicodec on the parts (as I have to convert MKVs to AVIs anyway when I want to watch them on my TV set). This works even for files that VirtualDubMod cannot handle correctly.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

And I thought I was insane back when I filed those 4k CREQs...

Honestly folks - nobody needs that information. It's nice to have, but you should all stop filling in fields that (some day) might be autofilled by AoM.

I use my time to safely store my Anime. If there is a version 0.6 of AoM sometime in 2006 just use the time you saved today and get your files off the shelf and insert it into your computer and re-hash them with that new version to auto-get all the info that new version of AoM then offers.

If, in the end, there won't be a new AoM you can still add the info then.

Because who really _does_ look at the bitrates? I guess close to nobody. Took me some time to realize that too but better now than never.