[ADD] generic type: LD [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Elandal

[ADD] generic type: LD [DENIED]

Post by Elandal »

Subject says it all :)
I've got anime LDs and would like to class them as such instead of as dvds in the generic file type.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Ohhh... Another icon. -_-;
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I don't see why we need this distinction.

BYe!
EXP
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

Why do we need vhs and dvd separatelly? Either a single "on physical media" type should suffice for all, or distinction be made between different media types.
VHS differs from DVD in many ways. So does LD. Differences range from required hardware (each requires different type of player) to audio and video quality.

The only reason to omit LD when both VHS and DVD have specific types would be to declare that "nobody has LDs anyway while VHS and DVD are common".

And yes, nitpickers could next want to differentiate between VHS and SVHS (both have been available for sale), then between bought media and recordings made from tv.. That'd be a slippery slope leading to lots of subtypes.

Note that currently I've marked one series as type other with comment of LD, and of course can continue to use that in the future as well. Having a separate type for it would just be a nice thing for us who do have LDs.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the main idea why we have vhs and dvd was simply that we wanted to allow a user to specify whether he has an anlog or digital version on physical media.
under that aspect LD is equal to dvd, isn't it?

BYe!
EXP
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

Nope - LD is analog. It's a little better than SVHS in video quality, but can also have digital AC3 audio track which SVHS can't do.
Of course LD, being optical disc, doesn't wear in use unlike magnetic tapes do, so if handled with care, even old LDs should be just fine.

CD & DVD are digital optical discs easily used on computers.
LD is an analog optical disc that, to be used on computer, needs to be hooked just like VHS does, except for audio which can be brought into the computer as digital AC3 stream when available, digital stereo otherwise.

When I added LDs to anidb mylist, I did consider the options of DVD (but decided against because it's too different) and VHS (but it's superior to SVHS in quality so decided against). I guess I could use VHS type, though - that's closer in that I can't drop an LD into computer and go but need a separate player.
egg

Post by egg »

My opinion, although this may be a nice to have and arguably it would be more correct to have it there, there probably is not a large demand for this feature. Most users will not have LD, and adding it just adds to the program and interface for relatively little benefit. As it is, the mylist menu to update animes/files is getting pretty long...