How about an entirely different rating system? [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Elberet

How about an entirely different rating system? [DENIED]

Post by Elberet »

[Split from another thread. Some posts about the splitting were removed as they (of course) don't add to the discussion -- wahaha]

How about an entirely different rating system?

Keep the current votes but remove the top 10 list. Allow all registered user to declare at most twenty different animes as "favorites", then build a new top 10 list according to the number of users who set the anime as a favorite.

That way, nobody can complain about hate votes or how users are incapable of understanding how the voting system is supposed to be used. Skewed results due to throw-away accounts can be avoided by ignoring favorites set by accounts that aren't being used frequently, and that process can be automated rather easily.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Elberet wrote:Allow all registered user to declare at most twenty different animes as "favorites"
Only twenty? Noooo, at least (time to see and recount my votes) 50 "favorites".
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Elias wrote:Only twenty? Noooo, at least (time to see and recount my votes) 50 "favorites".
My first suggestion was a limit of 5. ;) The point is that favorites don't replace all votes, but only the top votes. How many animes did you vote "10" for?

The fuller the favorites list gets, the more people will have to think hard about how good an anime really was, especially in comparision to other series. If they would do that with the regular votes, I'm sure votes in general would be much more meaningful and not concentrated around the 8.0 mark. As it stands, a non-hentai anime scoring below 7 is usually quite crappy and merely acceptable animes frequently score around 8 while the good stuff ends up somewhere at 8.5 - not a very helpful rating, actually.

With a limited number of favorites to distribute, the ratings would be more meaningful -- new, good series will attract many favorites, so they'll receive a good deal of recognition while old, great series will always keep a lot of favorites. The stuff in the middle - the mediocre series that were great the first time you watched them - will eventually age and be removed from many users' favorites list. With numeric votes, most users who recently watched an anime give high votes (because it was new) and never go back to their votes list to put that vote into a proper relation - hence we end up with a massive concentration of votes around the 7/8/9 marks.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Elberet wrote:
Elias wrote:Only twenty? Noooo, at least (time to see and recount my votes) 50 "favorites".
My first suggestion was a limit of 5. ;) The point is that favorites don't replace all votes, but only the top votes. How many animes did you vote "10" for?
And about 40 with vote 9.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Maybe some mod could split these posts from this thread and re-merge them with the other thread? And Elias: That's just my opinion, but I think you're too generous with those nines...
Antono

not [DONE]

Post by Antono »

I was searching the forum for a feature I'm going post and I saw this thread labeled as [DONE].

In my understanding, it's not implemented yet (or ever). Maybe it took it's parent thread label when it was split. Could a mod take care of this? (assuming I'm right, that is :lol: )