split votes according to gender set in profile [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

kidan wrote:
TheNobody wrote:Men and women shouldn't have seperate votes...they're equels and all ye know.
Men and Women are equal before the law, but do they have equal taste all the time? I don't think so.
but seperating votes in advance by some outside factors (be it gender, age or IQ) is nothing but a prejudice to me.
Splitting genders here is nonsense.
As I said, most of the times tastes have nothing to do with genders. And if you think that way, Der Idiot, PetriW and me should be considered girls.
lets not forget Keitarou :P i guess there is no one more female than him in hat case :P but seriosuly humans have different tastes yes, but different tastes because of gender is crap. besides even if you implement that what would you achive? at least 80% if not more of the users of anidb are male! ("Pi mal daumen") and of the ~20% female user how many would actually click [x] female in that option 2-3%? lets face it girls hide their identify, because of too many moronic males in the internet. wow 2-3% that will make quite some difference... wasted cpu cycles if you are asking me.

and i 100% agree on everything said by elandal. ^^
I'm still saying this is not useful.
kidan

Post by kidan »

Der Idiot wrote:at least 80% if not more of the users of anidb are male! ("Pi mal daumen") and of the ~20% female user how many would actually click [x] female in that option 2-3%? lets face it girls hide their identify, because of too many moronic males in the internet. wow 2-3% that will make quite some difference... wasted cpu cycles if you are asking me.
So actually the additional value would strengthen the voice of the (current) minority.
I'd not mind to give some demographic info to anidb, as long as it's all anonymous. (So of course name/adress/look/homepage/email(?) should then of course not be part of an extended profile, which would have to be optional all the time).

PS: Age would be pretty interesting for me, as well.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Der Idiot wrote:lets not forget Keitarou :P i guess there is no one more female than him in hat case :P
I guess I`ll add myself to that category too then, even though he and I are like 180 degrees opposites when it comes to tastes - but I kinda have the reputation of shoujo-lover, last time I checked #mangareactor :P

I also disagree with the seperation of gender, since I (as AR-forum mother :P ) have quite different votes compared to most males. I dislike cars (although Initial D has its charms), dislike soccer (although soccer anime are kinda funny at times) and I usually don`t like typical shounen or mecha anime (Scryed and FMP are typical exceptions though). One of favorite anime are Fushigi Yuugi and Fruits Basket, so no - I wouldn`t like to be put in a cage with all men, just because someone wants to see the results of votings based on gender. In fact, I`ll change my gender (on the forum, not IRL) to female instead, since that would be much more accurate for me probably - except that I`d get all those lousy yaoi series in my hintlist probably. Perhaps nwa likes that, but I certainly don`t. And I don`t know if you like yaoi as well, Kidan, because that`s a typical female attribute, so if you want to seperate genders, you`ll end up with loads of such series recommended as well.

Remember that AniDB is a community. If you try to seperate even the votes based on gender, what`s next? Age? Religion? Reputation? You`ll only divide the stuff into more subsections and that`s not going to work. Because, if we agree with your request, we should also agree with the requests of other people to divide the votes into several more parts, like age, religion, reputation and whatever you can think of. In the end, the votes will only become a nasty, unused thing which nobody wants to understand. I mean, I already know my taste is far more compatible with women than with men, so I have to verify entirely different votes in order to understand what the hell people voted. So no, I think this is quite some useless request - if you don`t mind me saying so :)
kidan

Post by kidan »

@mother-gambit: Well, I guess the subject of my original post was a bit too radical in its wording. Basically I don't want to change the way you vote for an anime, but to add some additional stats (which could be generated once in a while). And in these advanced voteing-correlation-(graphs) you could differentiate based on some voluntary entered, additional information added to an extended profile.
This would in no way affect normal ratings or anime hint. It would just give some more food to stat-whores like me (;)).

Regarding your yaoi-recommendation: Well, I'm not sure, if I'd like it, as I've never got any yaoi-title so far. And I'm not keen on really changing this. But if Anime-hint would suggest some yaoi to me, I'd at least watch the first ep. and then rate it according to my taste. 8)

@all: that biased rant-part of the original post was not meant serious, but just as a flamebait to start a discussion (which IMHO worked).
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

kidan wrote:@mother-gambit: Well, I guess the subject of my original post was a bit too radical in its wording. Basically I don't want to change the way you vote for an anime, but to add some additional stats (which could be generated once in a while). And in these advanced voteing-correlation-(graphs) you could differentiate based on some voluntary entered, additional information added to an extended profile.
This would in no way affect normal ratings or anime hint. It would just give some more food to stat-whores like me (;)).
Well, even if you`d generate such stats, it would be for only a very select group of people who`d actually check it. Taking into account I`m a stat-freak myself, I still doubt I`d check such a stat. Besides ... it might just clutter the page instead.
I`ve already been doubting a lot of stats before which seems quite useless to me, so there might be stats removed before there will be some added, if it`s up to me ;)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, please remove!... I want to have a 24x7 AniDB. Not a 20x7 one as it seems it will be that way if exp add more of this kind of requests.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I like the same stuff Gambit likes.

Now compare that with sothis' taste, who is (I guess here) over 20.

Now compare those tastes with a five year old girl who just loves CCS.

Honestly Kidan - the idea is nonsense.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Gambit wrote: Well, even if you`d generate such stats, it would be for only a very select group of people who`d actually check it. Taking into account I`m a stat-freak myself, I still doubt I`d check such a stat. Besides ... it might just clutter the page instead.
I`ve already been doubting a lot of stats before which seems quite useless to me, so there might be stats removed before there will be some added, if it`s up to me ;)
Yeah, episode voting should be removed. Not even Anime with 2000 users have more than 1% of them voting for a single episode. That's not a demographic, that is roughly guessing and moreover if you get the usernames of those who voted you more likely would get a list of stat-lovers this way ^_^
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Skywalka wrote:Yeah, episode voting should be removed. Not even Anime with 2000 users have more than 1% of them voting for a single episode. That's not a demographic, that is roughly guessing and moreover if you get the usernames of those who voted you more likely would get a list of stat-lovers this way ^_^
That was a total waste of development time. -_-;
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

the other day (last week) i voted for ep 9 of Saikano..

i know i haven't voted much for eps.. but if its allready done and it doesn't hurt much, let the ep vote be.

as for the discussion, i guess it is going in to another dimension, basicaly with every male person on the foruns saying that he likes shoujo-like animes and also almost every person asked if s/he would select personal options on the profile saying no, i see no hopes for this thread, with a bit of luck it will die out in a few days..
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*gets his crashcart*

No I will re-animate it every two days! Keep the thread alive!

Basically OTAKU say they like shojou and those are usually the people hanging around in this forum. Otakuland forever! ^_^

Seriously there is no need to get demographics because we do not have additonal information about the users.

I asked it two times in this thread now: WHERE did I have to set my gender when signing on to AniDB? This value is NOT set anywhere. Asking for it is totally moronic because you already have 70k users who did not set that option within the first two years of AniDB. Results would be off in the percentage that 70k users make up of all the users who set their gender.

Even if we'd all agree you'd have to _force_ users to add these values and then you could _never_ be sure that the data is correct. You'd have to add additonal questionnaire to straighten out your values, have contradiction questions that get rid of users who just fill in values to get past the questionnaire. And you as well as I know that we all want to remain as anonymous as possible.

You have so many reasons for not adding this feature and only ONE for it - "because it would be nice" or because "Me wants it, my precious" (uttered by the general stat-hugging-monkey)

So "fugetabboutit" to quote Osaka ^_^
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I never understood why the ep-voting got implemented actually. It`s a funny idea, but apart from Wlah and Ultima I haven`t seen many people vote for single eps.
For me, I don`t care how good an ep is, since I value a series based on the overall enjoyment. If a series is bad, but 1 ep is good, then I surely won`t keep that single episode around when I trash that series. And if a series is great, but 1 ep is really, really bad, I won`t delete that single episode either. Do I want to know which episode was good? Naw. If I want to rewatch it, I rewatch it as a whole, not just single episodes.
So no, I fail to see why it is implemented.
Possible previous discussions where I voted for it are disregarded since that`s so long ago that I am not responsible for it anymore. I was a child back then, honestly - and not even over 18 ;)
But hey - that`s a sidenote :P
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

Gambit wrote:Possible previous discussions where I voted for it are disregarded since that`s so long ago that I am not responsible for it anymore. I was a child back then, honestly - and not even over 18 ;)
Lol, anyway, like i view the ep vote as a away to mark episodes i like, like gambit said i don't trash a series by one episode nor do i give it heavenly status by one episode, but either way i use ep votes to mark bad eps, for example in naruto the episodes where the main drawing staff took a vacation and the whole ep is done by their kids, stuff like that.

back on topic, i would very much perfer a new sdk with some new implementations over to this gender thingie

(i supose that exp is sillenty watching this thread and hoping it dies away before he has to do something about this)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I really want to see EXP giving this a clear voting so we could keep the thread and bash all those who think this is a good idea in the future :-P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

as I am myself kind of a stats fan I am not totally opposed to adding additional ways to filter the votes of an anime using additional information.
however, something like this would, if ever, only be an addition on some extra page and would not affect the current voting system in any way.
anidb users will also not be forced to provide any info about themselves.
and this has a _very_ low priority, so don't expect to see anything like it anytime soon.

BYe!
EXP