[DEL][GROUP] Ripping Gods

old granted and denied CREQs

Moderator: AniDB

Have you got access to any [r-g] distributions directly from [r-g]?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:28 pm

yes
27%
no
73%

Total votes: 15

rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Elberet wrote:Actually, I disagree. Files that never make it out of a closed group shouldn't be added to AniDB. Then again, if they do get added, there's no reason to delete such rare files, while private rips that only one single person can have should actually be deleted, or rather joined with the generic file.
Available != freely circulating internet. For example, I never seen http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... &fid=11835 on ed2k, as well as any other Kage releases. I didn't see it ever on any FTP either. All Kage files I have came to me from other people's HDDs or CD/DVDs. However, Kage rips are pretty common and well spread among russian otaku (usercount would be higher, if there were actually more russian people registred in DB). Does it mean that this file "does not exists" in DB sense?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

No, the file does exist and should be listed in AniDB because it is freely available - not via ed2k and not right now, but if I wanted it, I could ask you to (re)share it on ed2k.

If the people who currently have the file (not those, who made the file) are willing to share the file in some way or another (not necessarily ed2k - AniDB is not an eMule-download site, after all, but a file hash database), the file can be considered to be "alive" and should stay in AniDB. That's all.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Yes, I think so too. That's why I posted initialy that it is not even required "freely circulating through the internet". So, wasn't that right? :D
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Well, and all I'm saying is that "freely circulating" is the same thing as "available". ^^
falconx

Post by falconx »

To be honest, on numerous occasions I've debated requesting anidb.net stop listing rg's encodes. However, since I thought there was good chance they wouldn't want to honor such a request, and I'm lazy, I never bothered.

You could say I was almost pleased to see someone did so in my absence :)

However, I perfectly see why anidb wouldn't want to honor such a request, even if in much smaller numbers are rips do exist in the "wild". As egg stated, people who have such files will want them listed in their anime libraries.

All that really bugs me is seeing our name in the "Most Files" list on the main page.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

You're evil copyvios whether you like it or not, and the feds are on to you... Seriously though, I do understand the insular policy, but there's been more than one occasion I'd have much prefered the decent RG files over say... aX. If you're serious about not wanting your releases shown here, I'd suggest asking the limited set of people you *do* distro to not to add them, seems the easiest method.

Rar
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

well as stated in their policy the files that you get from rg are your propriety and you can do whatever you want with them. Also considering that RG in itself doesnt add their files to anidb i'd say that the files of rg added in anidb have already been leacked.

finally rarity doesnt mean much. depending on the way you get your files the rare ones differ.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Well, clearly R-G files are widely available, that's the problem of distributing something on the internet. Once you share it don't rely on it staying within that closed sphere of people. I have lots of R-G releases and I've only visited the channel once.

As AniDB is an index where you can keep a catalog of your files I consider it appropriate that the files are listed here. If R-G does not wish their releases to be listed here then that's an issue for Exp. But to be honest, I'd consider that request somewhat stupid as it doesn't really accomplish anything toward keeping the files within your closed group of leaking f-serves.

If you don't want the files to be shared freely don't realease them. Otherwise just ignore us, clearly you have no use for AniDB if you don't even want your own files listed here.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

It's better to ignore us as they ignore other people.
If they don't want things to spread just don't rip them or choose better your members.
falconx

Post by falconx »

My goal is not to stop things from spreading, and I've never stated having an issue with it spreading beyond the initial distribution. I perfectly understand how things work on the internet.

As the last line of my previous post states, all that really bugs me is our name being on the main page.

I also stated I did think of requesting no listings whatsoever, but abandoned such thoughts long ago.
egg

Post by egg »

falconx wrote:As the last line of my previous post states, all that really bugs me is our name being on the main page.
8O R-G has [not] released more files than anyone else!!! That's quite impressive for a closed group...
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

luckily for RG nobody seem to really care about the license of anime. So the chances of RG receiving any kind of legal problems is extremely low.

And the fact that they released so much file while being a closed group shoudnt impress anyone as the biggest problem of public groups that release a lot is distribution. When you release only to a small group devoid of leechers, distribution is no longer a problem, making the release of many files much easier.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Yeah I don't get it either.

I have several R-G files that "leaked" out of their channel(s). I never tried to become part of their group and honestly - if there are people who are pissed off about the fact that R-G won't let "everybody" have their files, then why do you want to delete the group and their files from AniDB?

If I am correct then AniDB helped ME getting the files. It works for you. The only way R-G will keep their files to themselves _forever_ would be if they are so lonely they don't have ANY friends they'd share their files with.

And that alone would make me want to keep R-G in AniDB because it would be a great example for a lonely looser group ^_^