Licenced Status [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Licenced Status [DENIED]

Post by fahrenheit »

Hmm, i know this is not related to files, which is main drive of anidb, but i miss the information if an anime is licenced or not, could this be added to the db?

data wise i think this addition is very small, a simple 0/1 flag would sufice.

comments?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

A simple 0/1 flag? That's a very "wherever-you-currently-live"-centric point of view. ^^ Normally, anime licenses only cover single countries or language regions. An anime that is licensed in the USA by a US company might not be licensed in France or Germany. If you wanted to track this information in AniDB, it should be a much more in-depth addition:

- Maintain a list of publishing companies, similar to fansub groups.
- Split the world into several, sufficiently small regions.
- Attribute sets of companies to each anime (n:1 relation) and store for each relation regions (n:1 relation) and a text description.

Basically, this would implement for each anime a list of publishers, complete with info about for which parts of the world that publisher has obtained a license and some random description, if necessary.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

Point 1) I live on Portugal, Europe, here we have like 10 licenced animes, i wouldn't want a flag just for where i live cause that would be pointless.
Point 2) Normaly when a fansub drops an anime because it got licenced, that means it got licenced in the US, not in france, not in Portugal, etc.

In a simplistic way, the 1/0 flag for US licences would sufice i think, never the less your point of view would be much more acurate, but alas would require a new database just to track it.

So basicaly it's better to drop the ideia no?
Blinddog

Post by Blinddog »

Might be a good feature, and as Elberet said it would have to deliver a lot of information (country, publisher,etc.) but THIS info would be quite valuable.

I don't know how much trouble it is to implement such a feature, but if it's a lot exp could make this one gradually.
At first just region/country info.
Somewhere beneath the short summary text on the main page of the respective anime.
Maybe at first simply with those already available flags from the sub/dub part.
At a later stage then, additional info like publisher for the different countries or similar stuff could be added.

Would be a nice feature I guess. It happened to me sometimes that I thought about purchasing a UK/US-DVD without knowing that German DVDs were already out. :?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I'm against this, for the forseeable future. Due to the someone changeable and uncertain nature of licencing status, I feel it's better left to news sites like ANN.

Rar