AniDB Java Applet?

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

kidan

Warning Off-Topic ;)

Post by kidan »

nich wrote:
kidan wrote:[...]I just wanted to point out qemu. It's a decent free alternative to vmware, which runs without a kernelpatch in userspace: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
It still implies in:
  1. Wasting space with a windows install (for a single program? no, thanks)
  2. Having a windows copy
Doesn't look like it's free, for me. :wink:
But I guess this is getting a bit off-topic. :oops:
You could use reactOS, but I'm not sure if AOM will run with reactOS. Of course wine-compatibility or a native *nix-version would be better. But first 0.6 should get released :twisted:
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

Im interested in doing something for anidb in Java. but its to early for me yet. got to learn more about java in school first. learning about writer and reader streams current.
liqid

Post by liqid »

Just read through that discussion of yours.
I must say that an applet is imo not the way to go since it's quite difficult to get filesystem access.
What I would rather suggest you is to do a standard java application and offer Java Webstart support for it.
Java Webstart is something that comes with installing of the sun jre. In case you don't know what it is, check out this url and try some samples there.
http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/S20.html
(Click the webstart button and open choose to open the file right away.)

So the remaining problem is that user have to get a sun jre installed, I guess.

Anyways, as I've said I'm still willing to help you out a little bit if there is something I can do.
I'm a student of computer science and work a lot with java professionally during my trainee term. I'm working with java a year or so but I acutally have 6 years of programming experience. I've also been working with xml a lot lately if that helps.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think exp already stated there is no problem to request the SUN JRE, and in my eyes there is no other path... don't even mention the MS JVM! :P

If you want to do an example I can let you know what we need to do but exp already gave an insight on it. It's a minor functionality to help novice users to add files to their lists by hashing them before. There is some open source code you can use for the hashing. I included the two that I thought better suited for it.

ed2k-hash_0.3.3.tar.gz
jacksum-1.5.0.zip
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

liqid wrote:Just read through that discussion of yours.
I must say that an applet is imo not the way to go since it's quite difficult to get filesystem access.
What I would rather suggest you is to do a standard java application and offer Java Webstart support for it.
Java Webstart is something that comes with installing of the sun jre. In case you don't know what it is, check out this url and try some samples there.
http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/S20.html
(Click the webstart button and open choose to open the file right away.)

So the remaining problem is that user have to get a sun jre installed, I guess.

Anyways, as I've said I'm still willing to help you out a little bit if there is something I can do.
I'm a student of computer science and work a lot with java professionally during my trainee term. I'm working with java a year or so but I acutally have 6 years of programming experience. I've also been working with xml a lot lately if that helps.
feel free to play around a bit.
once you have the basics working (application, webstart, hashing of local files with different algorithms, simple gui, ...) we can talk about how to handle the anidb<->javaapp communication.

BYe!
EXP
liqid

Post by liqid »

Just found that:
http://www.jonelo.de/java/jacksum/index.html
since it's already in java and there's support to integrate it , well I guess the hashing problem is no more :) .
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Haven't you read two posts above? O_o
kidan

Post by kidan »

For linux-users it would be nice, if the tool would not only work with webstart, but if it could be compiled with gcj as well.