Suggestion for improved voting on reviews [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ok, i need a short description to place next to each vote (1-10) (like on the anime page @ vote).

I might also go for a first version which does not allow anonymous voting and enforces comments by all voters.

BYe!
EXP
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Decent
6 - Fine
5 - Average
4 - Below Average
3 - Bad
2 - Very Bad
1 - Attrocious

Just suggestions :P
sothis

Post by sothis »

i might change those a bit to reflect the quality of the review... things like "poorly written", "masterpiece", "needs work"

not only does this help the reviewer as far as feedback, but also, if the review very obviously isn't poorly written, it's easy to contest that "vote"
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Above Average
6 - Meets Minimum Requirements
5 - Needs some improvement
4 - Needs significant improvement
3 - Needs some revision
2 - Needs significant revision
1 - Needs complete revision

In accordance with sothis' suggestion, perhaps these are better?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Ultima wrote:10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Above Average
3 - Needs some revision

In accordance with sothis' suggestion, perhaps these are better?
I'd say 5 should be the "Meets Minimum Requirements" as some kind of "middle point". But I agree that such a nameing of the votes is better than a simple "very good, good, ..."

BYe!
EXP
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

are 10 steps really neccessary?
10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Above Average
3 - Needs some revision
for animes it's very easy to say this is 7,8 9, but for reviews to see such minimal differences i find very hard.

how about:
10 - Excellent
7 - Above Average
5 - Meets Minimum Requirements
3 - Needs some revision

way easier imho
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ok, first version is online.

BYe!
EXP
requiem

Post by requiem »

Hmmm...I'm liking it lot more than the other system already. :-)
vivafruit

Post by vivafruit »

Usually when I decide to state my opinion among the animereactor crowd, bad things happen - very bad things. However, I'm going to risk it here, because this topic is something I genuinely care about. Let's just hope I don't unintentionally start a flame war like I always do :( .

For those who don't really care about my opinions and are just skimming this: I like the new system - a lot. For the rest of you, I'm dividing my rant into different sections in an attempt at making my post somewhat helpful.

Why I like the new system:

Back when I first started posting here, I absolutely loved the "yes/no" system for reviews. Under ideal conditions, this is an amazingly helpful solution to the... uh... less than helpful reviews found on sites like animenfo. Good reviews would get the praise they deserve, while bad reviews would get shoved to the bottom of the page, where they don't have to be read by anyone.

Unfortunately, as has already been discussed in great detail, the system was NOT being used under ideal conditions. As a result, I was never really sure whether my reviews were getting rated negatively because of raving fanboys or because the reviews really WERE awful. The whole point behind the feedback became defunct, and I did what any sane reviewer did: ignored every negative vote, and posted whatever I felt like.

Now that the anonymity is gone and users can comment on reviews, I can actually start paying attention to my approval rating again. While DonGato is right about superfluous comments that will be coming my way, I can safely ignore these as thoughtless "revenge" votes for rating their favorite series unfavorably. However, when someone worthwhile like Gambit, requiem, sothis, ultima, nwa, wahaha, or DonGato reads a review that I write and doesn't like it, I'll not only know that my review is shit, I'll know what to change. Assuming all goes well, this website will actually improve the quality of my reviews.

My general stance on an apparently controversial issue:

I don't think any reviewer should be exempted from critique, merely because no writer is perfect. If a writer's quality begins to deteriorate, I want them to know about it sooner rather than later.

However, I don't think it's fair for reviewers to have to watch their approval rating sink due to mindless fanboys who happen to disagree with them. As a result, I think a TRUSTED reviewer should be able to have some control over what NEW feedback affects his/her rating. Once a reviewer is deemed "good," he should be able to delete feedback that isn't properly justified.

As a matter of clarity, "properly justified" would mean that the comment has at least one relevant and intelligent suggestion on how to improve the review. If a trusted individual was found abusing this power, they would be issued a warning followed by a revoking of the status.

Something that may be a bug:
Right now when I click on "show votes," it takes me to a blank screen with nothing on it besides "Date User Vote Comment Action." Is this because I can only see the review votes left under the new system or for some other reason?

Random quasi-spam:
For the record, my ego isn't big - it's gigantic :P .
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Yup, the new review system looks good. I hope I'm proven wrong about it not succeeding. This is a good step in the right direction. I like it :P

btw, I also like this idea:
vivafruits wrote:However, I don't think it's fair for reviewers to have to watch their approval rating sink due to mindless fanboys who happen to disagree with them. As a result, I think a TRUSTED reviewer should be able to have some control over what NEW feedback affects his/her rating. Once a reviewer is deemed "good," he should be able to delete feedback that isn't properly justified.

As a matter of clarity, "properly justified" would mean that the comment has at least one relevant and intelligent suggestion on how to improve the review. If a trusted individual was found abusing this power, they would be issued a warning followed by a revoking of the status.
Not sure if it's going to fly, but I think it is something to take under consideration.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

vivafruit wrote:Something that may be a bug:
Right now when I click on "show votes," it takes me to a blank screen with nothing on it besides "Date User Vote Comment Action." Is this because I can only see the review votes left under the new system or for some other reason?
only new votes are shown. There are no comments for the old votes after all and users were granted anonymity back than. I don't think it's appropriate to simply list their names now. And what good would it do? The old votes would only clutter the vote listing page.

BYe!
EXP
requiem

Post by requiem »

Is it possible to make a function in the reviews area that will display all the comments on your reviews? I haven't a clue what reviews I have that have been voted for. :-)

...yeah, I'm that excited. ;-)
vivafruit

Post by vivafruit »

I'd like a bigger text box to leave comments in. Scrolling up to see what I've written at the beginning of my comments is proving cumbersome, even for relatively small amounts of writing.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

/me seconds both requiem's and vivafruit's ideas. Also, could there be a way to edit the comments you submit? That would be very helpful.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

yes, I wanted to request it as well, when I submit the comment, I can never see it again (or I just can't find the place) and I'd like to see it :D

Also... this might be a stupid question (especially coming from me), but where would one see the comments for my reviews, I'm pretty sure nobody has commented on my reviews yet, but just to make sure, the comments are shown in the myreviews page, right? ^^;

[edit]nm, found the place... :P

ooh yes.. and is it possible to use the bbCode.. like or or even
if it's not.. I'd like it to have.. cause atm, it's quite troublesome for the reader of the comment since I quote and comment on some parts of the review
ERROR: ERROR: 6 - the comment is too long (max: 2500chars)

:evil:
excuse me but why do we even have a character limit... I can't comment like that.. damn.. now that comment I made for requiem's review can't be recovered.. pfft...
my comments end up being as long as the review ...
Can't you make the char number for comments unlimited?
Does it add to server load if there are more character, or what?