Adding files questions

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

CSP

Adding files questions

Post by CSP »

First of all i have to congratulate the people responsible for this site as it offers massive details of many of the anime series available.

I looked at the way one can add files to his list, but if you want to add a series of 160 eps like ranma for instance, do you really have to click on every single episode? In addition, the version of Ranma i have, is impossible to find it listed on this site simply because i encoded the entire series myself (with s quality superior to any divx ranma versions i encountered on the net).

Having a relatively large collection, having to click on individual eps makes it impassible to make my list on anidb as it will take months of hard work, devoting a lot of time i sadly do not have. Is there an alternative? Can you help me out please?

Lastly, i would like to know more about the "comparing lists" part. I hope i am not going out of line with this one, but can this comparison lead to anime trading and if it can do, is it easy to do such things on this site? Again if you find this question inaproppriate, please forgive me for my ignorance. (private messages are also wellcome)

Even as an anime database, this site offers valuable information other sites lack, (even if there are a few series i did not find like some digi charat specials are missing) so i wish you keep up the good work and never let anyone shut down this site.

Thank you,

CSP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Re: Adding files questions

Post by wahaha »

CSP wrote:I looked at the way one can add files to his list, but if you want to add a series of 160 eps like ranma for instance, do you really have to click on every single episode? In addition, the version of Ranma i have, is impossible to find it listed on this site simply because i encoded the entire series myself (with s quality superior to any divx ranma versions i encountered on the net).
In general, when you'd want to add files to your list which aren't listed, you'd have to add them first. Even when using "mass add" on the bottom of each anime-page, that'd still result in copy&paste-ing at least 160 values, that amount of work can't be reduced any further.
However, you should not add your selfmade version to AniDB unless you also distributed it. If it's basically only you who has these files, please wait for generic files to be added to Ranma and add those to your list while setting the type to "self ripped".
If you distributed the files and thus more than 1 person can a use entries, the work to add them should simply be split among those who have the files ;)
CSP wrote:Lastly, i would like to know more about the "comparing lists" part.
I'd suggest that you set up your mylist with some entries and then just test the compare-feature against random lists (just choose some people from the userlist). The compare-function is episode-based, so it may not be of much when wanting a file-based comparison.
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

The compare work good with the little exception that the users are switched for the hide common.

So you have to ask the other person to make a list of the animes he has that you don't
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

e-Viper wrote:The compare work good with the little exception that the users are switched for the hide common.

So you have to ask the other person to make a list of the animes he has that you don't
The main idea for the compare function is to allow other users to make good suggestions on what anime you could watch/get next.
That's the reason for the current handling.

BYe!
EXP
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

exp wrote: The main idea for the compare function is to allow other users to make good suggestions on what anime you could watch/get next.
That's the reason for the current handling.

BYe!
EXP
Any chance then for an additional filter that just swapped the users for the "hide common" filter?

When I know what anime to get it's nice to know where to get it w/o bugging people to make htmldumps of their hide commom compare
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

e-Viper wrote:When I know what anime to get it's nice to know where to get it w/o bugging people to make htmldumps of their hide commom compare
helping ppl to trade anime is not one of anidbs goals.
however an improved version of the mylist compare function is ONTODO.
that will still take a long time though as it has a pretty low priority.

BYe!
EXP